X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpenter will not pitch in 2013...

Sound like he is retiring.

Chris Carpenter to Miss Season

"Chris Carpenter is very unlikely to pitch during the 2013 season, the Cardinals announced at a Tuesday afternoon press conference. General manager John Mozeliak made the announcement, citing continued issues with the health of Carpenter's right shoulder, neck and arm.

Retirement was not mentioned specifically, but it's obviously on the table because Mozeliak mentioned that Carpenter was worried about having a "normal after-career."
    CBS Sports has the latest MLB Baseball news, live scores, player stats, standings, fantasy games, and projections.

Comment

what year was this announcement made? :friendly_wink:

Comment

Do the Cardinals now explore bringing Kyle Lohse back?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
          Do the Cardinals now explore bringing Kyle Lohse back?
          They are downplaying that right now, but they don't want to tip their hand publicly. If they don't bring Lohse back, SP5 will likely be one of Shelby Miller, Trevor Rosenthal, or Joe Kelly.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
            Sound like he is retiring.
            He's owed more than $12 million this year, so more likely he will be on the DL all year so he can still collect his money. Then he'll probably retire next offseason.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

It'd be really foolish for them to go after Lohse. First off, I heard on Twitter that even though it's their own guy, he'd cost a pick. No team uses picks better, so that alone is reason enough for me. But their incredible SP depth is the 2nd reason not to explore the Lohse option.

Waino
              Lynn
              Garcia
              Westbrook
              Miller/Rosenthal/Kelly

They've *still* got more arms than spots so while this hurts, it's not catastrophic. Hell, I think they purposely shelve an ace in February/March just to get 'em going. Lost Waino in '11, won the WS. Lost Carp last year, nab a WC and go to the NLCS. They needed the 2nd WC to qualify, but still.

This team has incredible depth. They didn't want to tap into it this early, but it's not the loss it would be for most teams. Miller closed the season brilliantly after a mechanical adjustment in Triple-A. It's not unthinkable to imagine him having a better year than even a healthy Carp would've (obv we'll never know how that would've played out).

I think Miller should be classified as the front-runner here, though don't underestimate Kelly's experience from 2012, even though he's Westbrook Part 2.

Comment

Looks like the end of the line......

Chris Carpenter (shoulder) told reporters on a visit to Cardinals camp Monday that he's unlikely to pitch again.
                "I do (want to keep playing)," Carpenter said. "I don't think I can." The 38-year-old right-hander was placed on the 60-day disabled list in February with nerve irritation in his shoulder and has already been ruled out for the entire 2013 season. But he won't announce his retirement yet so he can get the final $12.5 million that is owed to him.
                Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch Mar 18 - 1:40 PM

Comment

Working...
                X