Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: Jesus Montero

(reposted from Mock1 commentary)

Jesus Montero is one of the toughest guys to predict for me. With the fences moved in, he has the potential to hit .285-25-85. But he is a horrible defensive catcher, and the Ms are loaded with 1B/DH types. They have Kelly Shoppach and Ronny Paulino and Mike Zunino down on the farm.

It's entirely possible that their lineup could look like this by midseason (Smoak busts, Montero can't catch, Gutierrez is hurt, etc)

CF Saunders
    LF Morse
    RF Ibanez
    DH Montero
    1B Morales
    C Zunino/Shoppach

The reason I am optimistic about Montero is that if he hits, they're going to play him. Even if it means sitting Ibanez, or Morales, or Morse, or Smoak, or someone. BUT, at the same time, I can see them sitting him a couple days a week and figuring that 450 ABs is still enough for him to develop.

I'd imagine their priorities are roughly like this:

Montero
    Saunders
    Smoak (until he absolutely proves he can't play)
    Morse / Morales (both FAs after 2013, neither getting a qualifying offer)
    Gutierrez
    Ibanez
    Casper Wells
    Bay

Add Jesus' name to the ever-expanding roster of players listed on Biogenesis documents.

Comment

Is he currently even worth rostering in a 14 team single catcher league? I have Grandal eating a spot on my bench and there are perfectly good waiver options in Pierzynski, Salty, Ianetta to hold down the fort till Grandal is back. Other folks available are Castro, Suzuki, Norris, Jaso, Castillo, Cervelli, Hundley, Ellis, Flowers. Should I drop him and if so for who?

Comment

Originally posted by willgladst View Post
        Is he currently even worth rostering in a 14 team single catcher league? I have Grandal eating a spot on my bench and there are perfectly good waiver options in Pierzynski, Salty, Ianetta to hold down the fort till Grandal is back. Other folks available are Castro, Suzuki, Norris, Jaso, Castillo, Cervelli, Hundley, Ellis, Flowers. Should I drop him and if so for who?
        Nope. He doesn't even appear to be the starting catcher for the M's now (he's only caught 3 games out of the last 10 with the other starts going to Kelly Shoppach). Thing is, Shoppach is a more reliable player at this point. He doesn't throw away at bats (Montero has awful plate discipline) and he's much much better behind the plate than Montero. The M's need to cut the cord soon and ship Montero down to Tacoma to get some time at DH to iron out his swing and get on track as a hitter again. Montero's future is not as a catcher in the organization at this point, and getting every ounce of possible value out of him is paramount. Don't waste any more of his or our time by keeping him up as a back-up, Zduriencik... send the guy down to become the hitter we all hope he can still be.

Anyway, it sucks watching him hit these days. His approach is horrible and he's shown next to nothing resembling the "light tower power" he was projected to have as a top prospect.

Comment

Of the guys I mentioned as replacements, any of them seem like the clear replacement I should pick up?

Comment

Originally posted by willgladst View Post
            Of the guys I mentioned as replacements, any of them seem like the clear replacement I should pick up?
            Pierzynski's probably the best just because he'll get the most AB's and he's in a solid line-up. Of the others, I also like Suzuki (who seems to still have some gas left now that he's out of Oakland) as well as the Athletics' double-headed hydra -- Jaso and Norris.

Comment

Zunino is 0 for his last 20. With 10 Ks. So unfortunately the Ms are stuck with Montero a little longer. But I just cut him for Lucroy in my 10 teamer.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                Zunino is 0 for his last 20. With 10 Ks. So unfortunately the Ms are stuck with Montero a little longer. But I just cut him for Lucroy in my 10 teamer.
                The M's aren't stuck with anything. They can demote Montero to Tacoma to get at bats as a DH, and they can call up Sucre to be a back-up if they want. Montero isn't even their starting catcher anymore, jc!

Comment

I'm still starting Montero in both my leagues but at least in my shallower league, I'm getting tired of him. In that league the top free agents are Cervelli, Castillo, Ianetta and notable names further down the list include Jaso and Avila. Maybe Castillo is worth a shot but I might just keep rolling Montero out there for another couple weeks.
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Kelly Shoppach shouldn't block either from PT.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                      I'm still starting Montero in both my leagues but at least in my shallower league, I'm getting tired of him. In that league the top free agents are Cervelli, Castillo, Ianetta and notable names further down the list include Jaso and Avila. Maybe Castillo is worth a shot but I might just keep rolling Montero out there for another couple weeks.
                      As long as you're okay with a non-starting catcher as your main guy, then Montero's your man. But he isn't the starting catcher for the M's any more, and I find it difficult to believe you couldn't do better with any of those other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                        As long as you're okay with a non-starting catcher as your main guy, then Montero's your man. But he isn't the starting catcher for the M's any more, and I find it difficult to believe you couldn't do better with any of those other guys.
                        I guess I feel like Smoak has less rope at this point as he's failed repeatedly. Montero had a better year last season than Smoak has ever had. If Montero hits just a little, wouldnt he get some time in the 1b/dh rotation?
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I guess I feel like Smoak has less rope at this point as he's failed repeatedly. Montero had a better year last season than Smoak has ever had. If Montero hits just a little, wouldnt he get some time in the 1b/dh rotation?
                          One problem is that the pitching staff generally does not like working with Montero. And he'd have to go down to Triple A to learn how to play 1st before he could ever play it in the bigs. Also, there's no room at DH unless a couple other guys are moved. I expect the M's to make some moves in the next three weeks or so with people possibly being demoted. Montero and Smoak are tops on that list.

Comment

I'd go with Avila from that group.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                              One problem is that the pitching staff generally does not like working with Montero. And he'd have to go down to Triple A to learn how to play 1st before he could ever play it in the bigs. Also, there's no room at DH unless a couple other guys are moved. I expect the M's to make some moves in the next three weeks or so with people possibly being demoted. Montero and Smoak are tops on that list.
                              well thats disappointing to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                              X