Need to keep 8, non-salary league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to keep 8, non-salary league

Mixed, 12-team league. Third year of our league, but this is our first year as a keeper league. Keepers can be kept for three seasons, so not a dynasty league. Draft league, so no salaries. Active rosters: C, C, 1B, 3B, CI, 2B, SS, MI, 5 OF, UT, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P.

I'm just going over my roster and trying to decide which eight I should keep. Any thoughts or suggestions? Insights?

C: Arencibia, McKenry
    1B: Hosmer, Lind, CCarter
    3B: Alvarez, Lawrie
    2B: Aybar, Bonifacio (2B eligible in our league), KJohnson
    SS: Tulowitzki, ECabrera
    OF: Braun, Bautista, CarGo, Saunders, Marte, Maybin
    SP: Shields, Morrow, Niese, Milone, Parker, JMcDonald
    RP: DHernandez, DRobertson, Herrera, TCollins

I've gone through a thousand scenarios it seems, and in this moment I'm thinking:
    1B Hosmer
    3B Lawrie
    SS Tulo
    OF Braun
    OF Bautista
    OF CarGo
    SP Shields
    SP Morrow

Any reason to keep one or more of my other guys over any of the ones listed?

I think you pretty much have it right, except Morrow. I would not keep him over Bonafacio or Cabrera. Part of my decision making process between these two is what are your league rules for position eligibility? If liberal I might keep Boni, if not I keep Cabrera. I like the speed and I would not mind either in my MI spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I think you pretty much have it right, except Morrow. I would not keep him over Bonafacio or Cabrera. Part of my decision making process between these two is what are your league rules for position eligibility? If liberal I might keep Boni, if not I keep Cabrera. I like the speed and I would not mind either in my MI spot.
      Neither Bonafacio or Cabrera are guaranteed starting jobs, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon1 View Post
        Neither Bonafacio or Cabrera are guaranteed starting jobs, however.
        Not guaranteed, but it is Cabrera's job to lose. Looks like Bonafacio will be a super sub. That is why I might want him a bit more than Cabrera depending on their leagues position eligibility rules. That said I think both of them easily get to 30sbs so I take that over Morrow

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Not guaranteed, but it is Cabrera's job to lose. Looks like Bonafacio will be a super sub. That is why I might want him a bit more than Cabrera depending on their leagues position eligibility rules. That said I think both of them easily get to 30sbs so I take that over Morrow
          They may both get to 30+ SBs, but my concern is that both will also bring no HRs, very few RBI, and poor BAs with those 30+ bags. Cabrera will have a pitcher hitting behind him if he gets the job, which will hurt his run total. I have thought about Bonifacio because he goes in 2B eligible.

Comment

So what is the cost of player? Do you give up the round he was drafted? Does it shift up year after year or is it 8 players without any round attached to them?
            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
              So what is the cost of player? Do you give up the round he was drafted? Does it shift up year after year or is it 8 players without any round attached to them?
              No rounds attached to the players.

Comment

the only one I'd swap out is Morrow for Aybar but I like him more than a lot of people and think he has a good profile combined with a good lineup and spot in the batting order. Not sure what volume of good pitchers will be available but Aybar to me is a better pick with some room for payoff. Also, he is a SS unless you are talking about Willy Aybar in which case, no. lol
                Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Jarrod Parker? I would be tempted to keep him. But looking at your 8 it would be hard. I would dump Hosmer, who was pretty bad last year and you can probably get back if you really want him.

Comment

I would keep Morrow over any of the players others have suggested. He can be a 2nd-tier SP (i.e, 15 W, 200 Ks, 3.50 ERA, 1.10 Whip) if he can stay healthy. Of course that's the gamble, but you are already pretty loaded on offense so I'd want to have a couple high-reward SPs since I'm sure all of the top-tier guys will be kept.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

How does the structure for keepers work? If it works the way I assume, where you miss one round (starting from the top) for each keeper you have, do you think everyone is going to keep eight guys? Morrow is borderline enough for me due to variance that if I thought I was going to be the only guy keeping seven players, I might rather do that in order to get the first pick and see if anyone else egregiously screwed up their keeper choices.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        How does the structure for keepers work? If it works the way I assume, where you miss one round (starting from the top) for each keeper you have, do you think everyone is going to keep eight guys? Morrow is borderline enough for me due to variance that if I thought I was going to be the only guy keeping seven players, I might rather do that in order to get the first pick and see if anyone else egregiously screwed up their keeper choices.
                        I would assume each team has to keep 8 in order to avoid these types of scenarios and to ensure the team that is awarded 1st pick actually gets to pick 1st.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          No variances or I would have mentioned it. Very straight-forward and not a complex keeper league. As I said 8 keepers. Every team is keeping 8 players followed by a regular draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X