First base prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First base prospects

Here's the official MLB (MLB.com) list of first base prospects. It is actually a pretty terrible list. I haven't even heard of half of these guys despite playing in some pretty deep leagues. Is it always this bad?

The official website of the Pittsburgh Pirates with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

1. Jonathan Singleton, HOU
    2. Matt Adams, STL
    3. Hunter Morris, MIL (who?)
    4. CJ Cron, Angels
    5. Darin Ruf, Phils (the 26 year old at AA)
    6. Matt Olson, As (who?)
    7. Alex Dickerson, Pirates
    8. Dan Vogelbach, Cubs (beefy)
    9. Keon Barnum, White Sox (who?)
    10. Chris Marrero, Nats (another old-ish guy)

Plus over the past 2-3 years we've seen an influx of 1B prospects so it's thinned out a bit: Rizzo, Goldschmidt, Hosmer, Ike Davis, Freeman, Alonso & Belt (off the top of my head)

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      3. Hunter Morris, MIL (who?)
      Hunter Morris was the 2012 Southern League MVP and is considered the Brewer's first baseman of the future (2014 and beyond). He won't see the majors this year with Hart, Gamel and Green already on the 40-man and the Brewer's potentially bringing back Lyle Overbay.

Here is John Sickel's write up on him.

Comment

Yeah, El D and Big Tymer both hit on the main reasons why the 1b prospect list looks so anemic right now. A bunch of call ups of true 1bman coupled with not knowing if some mashers at other positions will end up at 1b for sure lead to one awful list.

But since the faketeams list took some liberties and put Sano on the list, I'm surprised they slot him below Singleton. Clearly a lot could go with with Sano's longer swing, but his power upside is Stantonesque. In roto, fantasy, and even real baseball, as deep as 1b is in the majors, I'd swing for the fences, so to speak, and rank Sano is the #1 1b prospect. I can't imagine many GMs, fantasy or real, would trade Sano for Singleton.

Comment

Working...
        X