adjusting to the market and how i won a lge w/o drafting a SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjusting to the market and how i won a lge w/o drafting a SP

last year i played in a league that allowed the use of several RP's and capped player adds at 60 for the season. it was a 6x6 with hits, avg, hr, runs, rbi's, sb & wins, saves, holds, era, whip and k's. while you could only add 60 players during the season (basically no steady streaming SP until the playoffs); you could start 8 pitchers (RP or SP) every day. with this knowledge going into the draft (i was invited and said yes a day before the draft) i decided to wait even longer than usual on SP. i also put an emphasis on what i thought would be the best RP's. once the draft started i decided to simply not draft a single SP; to only draft offense and RP's. i wanted to see just how good i could make my offense while not technically punting any categories. though i would be at a disadvantage in wins and k's i would have 8 players that could pitch every single day. theoretically i would always dominate in the offensive categories and saves, holds, era and whip on the pitching side. i ended up having far and away the best offense and a very strong bullpen. i had the best hold guys and lots of closers. while i was winning the majority of categories and doing well i didn't like punting any of them (i was getting crushed in k's and wins); so i decided to offer some trades for SP. because bats are inherently more valuable than arms i thought i could give up some of my offensive advantage to try to obtain a few aces. it helped that i had picked up a few from the waiver wire (ra dickey & mat latos). i was able to trade a couple big bats and extra closers for king felix and jared weaver. this solidified my starting staff without killing my offense (think i only traded stanton weeks and kendrick away).

because of the limited player adds and what i perceived to be an overvalued SP market and an undervalued RP market i was able to take advantage. this gave me a leg up and ultimately ended up helping me win that league, fantasy glory and a couple hundred extra dollars. take advantage of the market my fantasy friends. the ability to adapt and improvise on the fly leading up to and ESPECIALLY during your fantasy drafts will have a trememndous impact on your season.

okay... where can i start mock drafting?

basically i perceived that SP would be at a premium because of the inability to stream SP and therefore decided to completely buck the trend of drafting SP early and take advantage by drafting more bats and loading up on RP.

Comment

Originally posted by phin View Post
      basically i perceived that SP would be at a premium because of the inability to stream SP and therefore decided to completely buck the trend of drafting SP early and take advantage by drafting more bats and loading up on RP.
      Good work. mocks can be started by anyone just start a thread. Our first mock started a billion years ago by someone simply posting 1.01 and the player's name. My memory sucks but do this and folks will probably jump in and help. Welcome to RotoJunkie!

Comment

okay. i was here last year. forgot about the site and haven't been here in awhile. good to be back though. love talking baseball; especially fantasy baseball.

Comment

Working...
        X