2k13: Atlanta Braves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: Atlanta Braves

So is BJ Upton the leadoff hitter? I don't think Andrelton Simmons is ready for the job. The fact that they got J-Up while keeping both Pastornicky and Simmons means that they still have ammo for another deal if they want to make it.

Chris Johnson/Juan Francisco is actually a nice platoon at 3B (offensively, anyway)

CF BJ
    RF J-Hey
    LF Justin
    1B Freddie
    C McCann (once he's back) / Gerald Laird
    2B Uggla
    3B Francisco/Johnson
    SS Simmons / Pastornicky

The problem is that other than Simmons and Heyward, I don't think this is a very good defensive team. Justin has good range but was error prone in RF, I doubt that improves with a move to LF. Uggla isn't good, neither are the 3Bs. I don't know what to make of BJ in CF.

At least this clears up the rotation a bit with Delgado leaving. But other than Medlen and maybe Minor, I don't really love their upside.

1 Hudson
    2 Medlen
    3 Minor
    4 Maholm
    5 Teheran

It's amazing that a team could add both Uptons and I still wouldn't love them, but that seems to be what happened here. Their top 4 hitters are awesome (5 when McCann comes back) but they need Uggla to bounce back to have any shot at the Nats. Of course, this always helps:

CL Kimbrel
    SU Venters
    SU Walden
    SU O'Flaherty

Add Beachy to that list too.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Chris Johnson/Juan Francisco is actually a nice platoon at 3B (offensively, anyway)
      except that chris johnson actually hits righties much better than lefties for some reason.
      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

It's weird that the biggest weakness of a team whose calling card for so many years was starting pitching is starting pitching.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          It's weird that the biggest weakness of a team whose calling card for so many years was starting pitching is starting pitching.
          Medlen
          Hudson
          Beachy
          Minor

That is a very strong 4. Next year replace Hudson with Teheran and that is a young and talented group for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
            Add Beachy to that list too.
            He had TJ in June, so he probably won't be back until the 2nd half.

Comment

The Braves have already publicly discussed having Simmons lead off, and with this trade, I don't see any other reasonable option unless BJ Upton's hitting line changed because he was trying to be a run producer and he can go back to being the high OBP guy he was at the start of his career at will. The lineup will probably look like this once McCann is back since Fredi loves to alternate lefties and righties:

1. Simmons (R)
              2. Heyward (L)
              3. J. Upton (R)
              4. Freeman (L)
              5. BJ Upton (R)
              6. McCann (L)
              7. Uggla (R)
              8. Francisco (L)/Johnson (R) (platoon despite Johnson's reverse splits just because)

As for the defense, the outfield should be tremendous--a few more errors than normal, but great range and arms. The infield defense, well, Huddy, make sure they hit it vaguely near shortstop and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                8. Francisco (L)/Johnson (R) (platoon despite Johnson's reverse splits just because)

The infield defense, well, Huddy, make sure they hit it vaguely near shortstop and you'll be fine.
                Who is better defensively, Francisco or Johnson?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                  Who is better defensively, Francisco or Johnson?
                  Somebody else? If Francisco has lost weight like has been said maybe he'll improve. Neither are more than below average.

Comment

Braves DFA Juan Francisco.

Comment

Will Braves re-sign McCann or go with Gattis as 2014 catcher? What say you, cavebird and others - 50-50 chance? 75% Gattis? 75% McCann?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Braves DFA Juan Francisco.
                        hmmm, i wonder if the dodgers will bite. or maybe arizona?
                        ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

I personally wouldn't be shocked to see the Braves try and deal McCann at the deadline for bullpen help.

That said, if they don't trade him I think they will make every attempt to sign him and maybe shop Gattis around in the off season.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            I personally wouldn't be shocked to see the Braves try and deal McCann at the deadline for bullpen help.

That said, if they don't trade him I think they will make every attempt to sign him and maybe shop Gattis around in the off season.
                            I think a lot depends on Gattis. I still think he'd be overexposed as an everyday catcher. I'd much rather see him get 400 ABs as a backup C, backup OF and backup 1B. Part of the reason he's destroying MLB is because the Braves have picked their spots with him. Sort of like Ryan Doumit only Gattis can actually catch.

So if they could sign McCann to a *reasonable* deal and leave Gattis in that role I think they would.

Comment

Oh, I totally agree. I just don't know that he will sign a reasonable deal. You gotta assume the Yankees would be interested in him and that alone may drive the price up to a point the Braves aren't comfortable with.

Even though he's a hometown guy there was a lot of speculation that he was very displeased that he was benched in the Wild Card game last year in favor of David Ross and that could also creep into play when talking about taking a little less for loyalty reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X