2K13: Edwin Encarnacion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K13: Edwin Encarnacion

Triple-E had a breakout for the ages in 2012, setting career highs in Runs, Hits, HRs, RBIs, SBs, OBP, SLG & OPS in his 8th season in the majors. Where the hell did this breakout come from? More importantly, should you pay what should be a large amount of 2013 dollars for 2012 stats?

His BABIP was only .266, so that obviously didn't help him attain his .280 BA. His GB%, FB% and LD% all remained pretty stable to his career norms, so that didn't help either. But his HR/FB rate was a career high of 18.7%, when in 2011 it was just 9.4%. And while he's always been a power hitter of sorts, his 27.6% HR/H rate bested his prior HR/H high in 2010 (25.9%).

His speed score, according to Fangraphs, was 3.6, which also is in line with his career norms, but he did steal 13 bases in 16 attempts (both career highs), and this after attempting all of 5 steals from 2008-2010. He did steal 8 bases in 2011, however, so his 5-base improvement also isn't out of the realm of fantasy.

He stayed relatively healthy in '12, getting more PAs than ever before, but how does that explain the doubling of his RBIs from 55 in 2011 to 110 in 2012? Or blasting 42 HRs when his previous high was 26? There's really nothing in his skill set that screams it was a fluke, but OTOH, there's nothing here that would say these numbers can continue. And for an 8-year vet who has been solid, if unspectacular, to have these numbers looks to just be a consolidation in a single career year.

I think he'll be a solid player in 2k13, but I think paying for 2012 stats may be going beyond the realm of reality with EEE. I'd chalk up 2012 as a career outlier, and pay for something in between 2011 and 2012.

.265 BA
    500 ABs
    77 R
    29 HR
    83 RBI
    10 SB

This kind of breakout seemed imminent for years but if you believed early in him, you probably gave up on him by 2012. He had big impacts on a lot of leagues last year and probably came cheap. He has it all from a profile perspective if you are talking about power, plate discipline and contact skills. He always seemed to show parts of it in different years. Last year it all came together. I don't think this is a fluky profile but he does get an "meh" grade for health and probably the same can be said about consistency. 1B is so loaded with great hitters this year so I think he's a little lost in the mix but this is nice option and his RC/G is a fat 6.50 which hangs in there just below the elite tier so he looks pretty solid to me compared to guys like Adrian Gonzalez.

Great power, great EYE, very good HR/F, high flyball rate, good lineup spot, supporting cast. Easy to like him again if you aren't already locked in somewhere else at 1B.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
      This kind of breakout seemed imminent for years but if you believed early in him, you probably gave up on him by 2012.
      Raises hand.

Comment

Suckers

he's hitting 60 this year!!!!!!!!!11

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          Suckers

he's hitting 60 this year!!!!!!!!!11
          What's with the "11"?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            What's with the "11"?

J
            I'm betting his finger slipped off the shift key.

FWIW I wasn't a huge believer, but watching him a lot in 2011 there were periods where he was so locked in I realized he could still put it all together. 2012 he simply kept it going. Now that he has a secure spot in the lineup every day (ie he doesn't have the pressure of possibly being benched for making a couple of errors at 3B), I think he's very capable of repeating or at least coming close.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'm not buying the steals, but I'll buy everything else he's selling. Gimme .275-40-110-90r-5sb.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                I'm not buying the steals, but I'll buy everything else he's selling. Gimme .275-40-110-90r-5sb.
                The change in manager would probably slow him down anyway.

Comment

can we get him going please
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                    can we get him going please
                    Seriously. That $42 I spent in RJEL feels like an albatross right now.

Comment

After watching him several games this season, he looks different to me. When he's locked in he has a sort of full-body whiplash with his swing - he doesn't start his swing until very late, then opens his body & swings in one motion; at first I didn't like it but he really used it to great effect the past couple of seasons. This year so far he seems to have a more traditional swing - that uncoiling isn't there. It's not to say he won't get it going again ... it just looks different, at least to me.

fwiw, aside from last season he's always been a slow starter, at least in April.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                      X