Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D. Young to Philly: so how does the Philly OF sort out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D. Young to Philly: so how does the Philly OF sort out?

Are the Phillies so taken with Revere as the new CF that they would go with Delmon and Ruf on the corners as their standard package?

Well Revere is actually a CF while Ruff is a converted 1B and Young is well...

The answer appears to be more about Dom Brown's opportunity. Obviously, Young is making a platoon price (Mark DeRosa just signed for the same price) and I guess if Young gets ABs that means he is performing well enough or his platoon mate is performing that much worse that he makes the 3 million price tag.

The other option is Dom Brown platoons and Young plays full time. In either event I guess he has an opportunity to get a fair amount of ABs.

Comment

Both corner spots will be a platoon. Brown gets the majority of the starts in RF and Mayberry is the backup there. LF is more puzzling as Ruf might start in AAA for more outfield work. If that is true then it is Nix and Young in LF.
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I think Young takes Ruf's job. Young/Nix in LF, Brown/Mayberry in RF.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Fun fact:

The Phillies have 9 OF on their 40-man roster. The highest-paid is Laynce Nix.

Comment

John Clark NBC10 ‏@johnclarknbc10

Ruben says ideally he'd like to see Delmon be everyday RF. if so, Domonic Brown and Darin Ruf will platoon in leftfield

Comment

He also said Young could start the season on the DL. Given that and the use of the word "ideally," it's still not very clear how things will shake out.

Comment

I did not hear the DL bit.

I did see this over at The700Level :

Jim Salisbury adds that Young has been playing out of position in left field for most of his career. It’s true that he has a higher field percentage in right (.985) than everywhere else combined (.976).
                I did not know that.

Going to be an interesting spring training then.
                Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  He also said Young could start the season on the DL. Given that and the use of the word "ideally," it's still not very clear how things will shake out.
                  Yup. They say that Delmon may not be ready until May. That would give Ruf and Brown the opportunity to win full-time at bats with Delmon as an insurance policy. Also, they've put in weight bonuses into his contract, $100k for meeting each weigh-in, so they want him to slim down to be more athletic in the field.

Comment

In any case, I wouldn't break the bank on any of them at auction.

Comment

Domonic Brown is having a good spring. Will management finally show faith in him?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        Domonic Brown is having a good spring. Will management finally show faith in him?
                        Hopefully. That was a moon shoot to dead center on Tuesday.

He needs a shot and the time given to him when he was a rookie was not enough.

Comment

I wouldn't say "all in" but I'm mostly in on Domonic this year. He has the talent. And if anything, Delmon being in camp is a reminder of what he could become if he doesn't figure it out soon. I also think that the way the OF is shaking out (Delmon hurt, Ruf struggling to field), Chollie is going to be forced to play Dom whether he really wants to or not.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            I wouldn't say "all in" but I'm mostly in on Domonic this year. He has the talent. And if anything, Delmon being in camp is a reminder of what he could become if he doesn't figure it out soon. I also think that the way the OF is shaking out (Delmon hurt, Ruf struggling to field), Chollie is going to be forced to play Dom whether he really wants to or not.
                            I tend to agree. If there's one guy that I think that they want to win a job, it's Domonic. He's really hit it off with new hitting coach Wally Joyner, and they're saying all of the right things right now. Besides, I think that the alternatives are very underwhelming.

Comment

Ruf sent to AAA. Looks like Brown in RF and Nix/Mayberry in LF to start the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X