clearing out some mental blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clearing out some mental blocks

I'm in a 10-team NL-only ultra league (17-man bench), 5x5 using BA with Moonlight J (and GITH until this year, sadly). I played in a 12-team NL-only with approximately the same structure until this year, and I think it's affecting my strategy badly, so I could use a little advice.

1) I have it in my head that my basic goal for building my offense is to get at bats -- basically, to get a starter at every position, and that that's more important than having one of the high-dollar stars. So for example, I'm looking at going into this season with a middle infield of Espinosa $5, Cozart $6, Barney $1. Is this actually a good thing? It also means that during the offseason I overvalue players that I have cheap who may have starting jobs, like Adam Eaton for example.

2) I really don't know how to assess trades that involve trading for an expensive but good player at approximately the right price. Take, for example, someone like Brandon Phillips at $29. I've been offered him in a trade for some of my cheap talent with the possibility of starting jobs (Eaton and Forsythe), and I understand that Phillips might be a bit underpriced with inflation figured in, but he's no amazing bargain. He is, however, probably as efficient a use of my dollars as I would be able to get in the auction. Should that be worth something? There are a decent number of good players that will be in the auction (definitely AGon, Votto, Upton, probably Braun, Hanley, Tulo, Kemp) and I could just tell myself to get one of them, but most people are probably planning to get one of them and due to item #1 somehow it never ends up being me.

My keeper list is something like the following. Note that minor leaguers and players with rookie status don't count against my auction salary cap (as far as I know, I keep screwing up these rules):

Goldschmidt $5
    Espinosa $5
    Barney $1
    Cozart $6
    Craig $10

AJ Burnett $2
    Cishek $5
    James McDonald $1
    Street $12

Ruf $5
    Wong $5
    Rendon $9
    Hamilton $10
    Eaton $5
    Cingrani $5

with the following guys I could swap in:

Vitters $5
    Matt Carpenter $5
    Forsythe $5
    Soler $6
    Matt Adams $5
    Matt Harvey $10
    Teheran $10
    Brian Wilson $7

So I feel like I can do 2-for-1 swaps as long as they actually help...

- Mike
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

12 team only is very different than 10 team, your strategy to "collect AB" makes perfect sense in the 12 team, where a $1 Barney gives you 4-5$ in profit. In 10 team, you need to focus on positive value per slot, and you need to own some studs, as everyone else will have a couple. barney is probably priced right at $1 for 10 team NL
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I wouldn't want to tie up my MI slot unless I had a nice keeper for it. Barney is not a nice keeper as he should be draftable for $1.

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
        I wouldn't want to tie up my MI slot unless I had a nice keeper for it. Barney is not a nice keeper as he should be draftable for $1.
        That's really not true in an NL-only. Barney should be worth from $6-12 dollars if he holds on to his job. He seems that he will for now so at $1 he should see a small profit. Though that doesn't necessarily mean he should keep Barney.

Comment

I sent you a trade

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
            That's really not true in an NL-only. Barney should be worth from $6-12 dollars if he holds on to his job. He seems that he will for now so at $1 he should see a small profit. Though that doesn't necessarily mean he should keep Barney.
            wow, just wow.

Comment

Barney:

AB R HR RBI SB BA OBA SLG OPS BB% CT% H% Eye xBA GB% LD% FB% PX HR/F SPD SBO% BPV R$ 5x5
              2010 79 12 0 2 0 241 294 291 585 7% 85% 28% 0.50 236 54% 16% 30% 45 0% 102 0% 6 $-3 $-3
              2011 529 66 2 43 9 276 305 353 658 4% 87% 31% 0.33 267 49% 23% 28% 54 2% 137 8% 37 $11 $12
              2012 548 73 7 44 6 254 296 354 650 6% 89% 27% 0.57 273 48% 22% 30% 62 5% 118 5% 51 $6 $9
              2013 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Comment

That 2012 line looks like WW material there. Am I wrong?! Also, that is with him hitting near the top of the lineup part of the year in 2012 but isn't he supposed to be hitting near the bottom in 2013 (cause he sucks)?

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                  That 2012 line looks like WW material there. Am I wrong?! Also, that is with him hitting near the top of the lineup part of the year in 2012 but isn't he supposed to be hitting near the bottom in 2013 (cause he sucks)?
                  Hey, I think he sucks too. But if he scores 80 runs, hits a few homers, steals a few bases and hits for a decent average he accumulates value. In most NL-only leagues middle infield starters that can hit for a decent average and contribute are not on the waiver wire long. If he does hit at the bottom of the lineup that would take away a good number of at-bats.

Comment

Are those dollar columns for a 10-team league?

And one small bonus for Barney is that he's a Gold Glove fielder, so he's likely to stay in the lineup, for what that's worth. And the Cubs lineup is as terrible as it's ever been (DeJesus, Schierholtz, Stewart, Castillo all starting), so I'm not entirely convinced that Barney is going to hit 8th all year. Man are the Cubs terrible.

But anyway, that's my basic question. There are 30 starting 2B/SS in the NL, and there are 30 MI slots in a 10-team NL-only league, plus a couple UT slots. So is the worst MI (which Barney isn't, but he's close-ish) still worth more than $1, and is that enough to be worth keeping him?

btw I screwed up the keeper rules like I thought I would -- I can keep up to 18 guys.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      I sent you a trade
                      hang on, I'm talking myself into it!

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        Are those dollar columns for a 10-team league?

And one small bonus for Barney is that he's a Gold Glove fielder, so he's likely to stay in the lineup, for what that's worth. And the Cubs lineup is as terrible as it's ever been (DeJesus, Schierholtz, Stewart, Castillo all starting), so I'm not entirely convinced that Barney is going to hit 8th all year. Man are the Cubs terrible.

But anyway, that's my basic question. There are 30 starting 2B/SS in the NL, and there are 30 MI slots in a 10-team NL-only league, plus a couple UT slots. So is the worst MI (which Barney isn't, but he's close-ish) still worth more than $1, and is that enough to be worth keeping him?

btw I screwed up the keeper rules like I thought I would -- I can keep up to 18 guys.
                        With 18 slots Barney is probably worth keeping because as BigJon showed there should be value there. Since you could probably do a little worse than him in the draft I'd keep him if there is room for him.

Comment

Working...
                        X