Save the 2013 Chicago Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save the 2013 Chicago Cubs

As currently constituted, the 2013 Cubs are, at best a .500 team (and that’s asking a lot), but can this season still be saved by three free agent acquisitions…Michael Bourn, Kyle Lohse and Kelly Johnson. Since the Cubs are picking second overall in the upcoming draft, that pick is protected and would not be lost when signing Bourn and Lohse. Would those three guys be enough to make the Cubs contenders or are they still too far away?

The new look lineup would be…

1 - Michael Bourn - CF
    2 - David DeJesus / Nate Schierholtz - RF
    3 - Starlin Castro - SS
    4 - Anthony Rizzo - 1B
    5 - Alfonso Soriano - LF
    6 - Kelly Johnson - 2B
    7 - Ian Stewart - 3B
    8 - Welington Castillo - C

Starting Rotation

1 - Matt Garza
    2 - Kyle Lohse
    3 - Edwin Jackson
    4 - Jeff Samardzija
    5 - Scott Baker / Scott Feldman

I think they'll be a better team this season without making long term commitments to guys like Bourn and Lohse. I'd rather see them play Brett Jackson in center this year. I bet Baez is at third by the All-Star Break. The rotation should be at least solid and probably pretty good.

Comment

I don't think that gets them into playoff contender talk. I can't see signing Bourn or Lohse if they don't put you over the top.

Comment

It's a long-term rebuilding project. Signing those guys gets you to .500, at best, not contention. (Remember, Kyle Lohse really isn't a good pitcher.) And while an optimist might think the team is currently .500, remember, all those games against the Astros are gone. The new lineup---with Bourn, is mediocre at best, and the rotation isn't horrible, but isn't great.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
          I think they'll be a better team this season without making long term commitments to guys like Bourn and Lohse. I'd rather see them play Brett Jackson in center this year. I bet Baez is at third by the All-Star Break. The rotation should be at least solid and probably pretty good.

As much potential as Baez appears to have, there is no way he will be on your schedule for his major league debut.

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
            As much potential as Baez appears to have, there is no way he will be on your schedule for his major league debut.
            Agreed. He needs to prove he can hit in High A ball first and (Manny Machado aside) probably needs to play some 3B in games as well. Reports I watched from the Cubs Convention this past weekend suggested that Baez will be remaining at SS for minor league games this season. IMHO, I think it is more likely that Mike Olt would play 3B for the Cubs in 2013 than Baez at this point (which also still doesn't seem likely as Garza's trade value seems to have dropped quite a bit over the past year).

Comment

The NL Central might just be the toughest division in baseball this year. It gives the AL East a pretty good run for its money, anyway.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

The Chicago Cubs shall be denied a WS victory until every last person in Chicago who blamed Steve Bartman has perished from this earth.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Cubs sign Scott Hairston to a 2-year deal.

Why?
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    The NL Central might just be the toughest division in baseball this year. It gives the AL East a pretty good run for its money, anyway.
                    Really? I don't see that. The Reds and Cards are good but not great. The Pirates are moving in the right direction, but not there yet. The Brewers took a step backwards and are mediocre at best. The Cubs, well, they're a disaster. Looking at the divisions, I don't really see much difference in strength between any of them except that the AL Central looks weak. The NL East has a stronger top two than anyone (especially if the Upton trade happens), but falls off dramatically after that. The NL West has the champs and the free-spending Dodgers, but then drops off. The AL East looks solid even if none of the teams look great heading into the season---everyone in that division looks decent to good. The AL is really strong at the top, too, with the Angels, Rangers, and A's.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post

Why?
                      Cheap filler? Deadline trading chips? Fool fans into thinking you are going to trying to be competitive this year to buy more rebuilding time?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post

Why?
                        Because he might be a better platoon mate for Schierholtz in RF than Dave Sappelt. He at least should have a bit more power off the bench than Sappelt. Also, this probably ensures that Tony Campana doesn't make the opening day roster. I love Tony's speed, but he just does not get on base enough to make his speed that useful. It improves the Cubs outfield situation, though still doesn't make them a great team.

Comment

Cubs claim Daniel Bard on waivers. Theo still has hope, I guess?

Navarro with another HR today. I wonder if he has a shot at a starting job somewhere next year. He's had a real nice season.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            Cubs claim Daniel Bard on waivers. Theo still has hope, I guess?

Navarro with another HR today. I wonder if he has a shot at a starting job somewhere next year. He's had a real nice season.
                            Bard--Theo via his sock puppet Hoyer is doing the usual baseball exec thing, grabbing players with whom he's familiar. If it works, it's a glorious move by Theo; if not, a black mark on Hoyer's record. I don't blame the Cubs a bit on this one, as Bard was very, very effective before 2012. I also don't blame the Red Sox for dumping him, as he's been a total disaster since the ill-fated move to the rotation at the beginning of last year.

Navarro--Why not a shot at starting for--the Cubs? He seems to fit in there, and he's by no means old.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Navarro is only on a one-year deal, and the Cubs seem to like Welington Castillo a lot. It wouldn't be unreasonable for the Cubs to re-sign him and go with the same package they've been using this year, but I wonder if some other team will be willing to take Navarro as the unquestioned #1.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X