With the Astros out of the NL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the Astros out of the NL

How will that affect this years NL only draft ?
    Less players in the pool ,does it mean higher prices ?

People drafted players on the astros?

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
      People drafted players on the astros?
      That is my opposite Question - with the Astro's coming over who should I target in my 12 team AL only ultra league. Esp on the farm - prospects that will help this year - best long term ...

Comment

There's really not a whole lot that will be missed. Last year, I think that Wandy and maybe Carlos Lee were the only Astros to top 10 at auction. Altuve turned into a nice player.

Maybe some slimmer pickings in the end game, but I'm not going to adjust my strategy at all with one less NL team.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
          That is my opposite Question - with the Astro's coming over who should I target in my 12 team AL only ultra league. Esp on the farm - prospects that will help this year - best long term ...
          I'd have said Singleton before his suspension, and he's still my answer, just don't expect any help in '13 from him.

Comment

no change at the top bidding at all.
            you may find it harder near the end game to get an SP or OF who plays, though - and the FA pool will be shallower, too.

Jordan Lyles could be a sleeper in AL leagues.
            Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-20-2013, 03:45 PM.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I think that for those of us who play in 12 team NL leagues, the loss will be felt more than we suspect. While we can joke all day about the lack of top-tier offensive talent on their roster, it is still 8 regulars that are now out of the player pool. With 15 NL teams that means there are ~30 MI's and CI's but their are 36 active roster positions for MI / CI in the 12-team league. While multi-position players make it less of an exact science the point is half the teams will have PT players starting (not even counting leagues with multiple UT spots as well). Does this mean a guy like Brandon Crawford will go for $10 at auction, probably not. But would be surprised if any players "guaranteed" of 500ABs will go for less than $5 especially in leagues with high inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                Here's John Sickels list of Astros prospects:
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

They have a few interesting players. Norris seems so close. I have owned him the last few years and it seems like once he gets to the 5th that is when thing to the wrong way. His last month of the season was good, so maybe he figured things out. He also Ks a fair amount.

A small blurb mentioned Cosart could get a look at closer.

One thing to consider is the Astros are moving to a division with some pretty poor throwing catchers. Altuve could steal 40.

Comment

Lowry had a nice season before he got hurt too.

Comment

Maxwell is what he is but he should get the chance to play full time for the first time in his career. I like the work Brett Wallace is doing with our hitting coach. Lucas Harrell was not a fluke last year; he has a legit hard, big-league sinker. Sleeper I like in the minor-league system--Andrew Aplin, center fielder, fifth-round pick out of Arizona State.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        I like the work Brett Wallace is doing with our hitting coach.
                        What kind of leash will he have though? Obviously Singleton's debut has been rudely delayed for a stupid violation but at some point in mid-summer he'll be pressed for PT with Carlos Pena also on the roster and all 3 of them 1B / DH only players. Can he hit enough to keep a FT position and if so with what kind of stats?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                          What kind of leash will he have though? Obviously Singleton's debut has been rudely delayed for a stupid violation but at some point in mid-summer he'll be pressed for PT with Carlos Pena also on the roster and all 3 of them 1B / DH only players. Can he hit enough to keep a FT position and if so with what kind of stats?
                          He showed some improved power after coming back from the minors. He was also pretty good in the minors. The guy went through the whirlwind for a bit changing teams and what not. I'm not shocked his career did not get off to a hot start.

Comment

Working...
                          X