Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Rose, RIP

dead at age 83

Despite his numerous character flaws, I was and still am a huge fan of Pete Rose the player. Although most of those flaws weren't public knowledge until his playing career was close to being over.

I still remember watching him play against my 1979 Pirates when he first came to Philly. He played first base and every time the Pirates made the third out at first base, Rose would take the ball out of his glove and spike the ball off the artificial turf. I used to hate that.

I remember that batting stance crouch, the head first slides, and how he would choke up on the bat with two strikes and how he would sprint at almost full speed to first base when he was walked. His passion for the game was fun to watch and contagious for me as a kid. He may never get in, but In my mind Pete Rose is already a Hall-of-Famer. RIP Charlie Hustle.
    Last edited by madducks; 09-30-2024, 11:29 PM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

He was a friend of my father's in high school. They hung out at Phillips Swim Club all summer after Pete got his contract with the Reds. My dad was a real punk in high school, he drank until he was 18 because it wasn't fun anymore once it was legal. I wish we had grilled him for more details about that summer.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

There was a cool interview with Mike Schmidt where Schmidt called him the only non-power hiring position player who could dominate a game. He said Rose had a knack for lifting up anybody who had a bad game the day before, like if a reliever had blown a save. Seemed like there was no place for him to put all that energy after his playing days were done. Reminds me of Jordan in that way. Couldn't turn it off.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Pete Rose was at Fiterman Sports Group meet-and-greet in Nashville on Sunday afternoon. Rose was in a wheelchair, but we're told that's just 'because his back was aching. He appeared to be in good spirits, taking photos and signing for droves of fans.

Rose even took a pic alongside Big Red Machine teammates Dave Concepcion, George Foster, Tony Perez, and Ken Griffey Sr.​

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

My friend posted a pic on FB of a meeting with Rose from last year, and he was also in a wheelchair.

Comment

Rose singles in return as player/manager:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Pete Rose Top 14 Moments:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Life and Legacy of Pete Rose:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

He had his faults, but he loved the game as much as anyone and played with a desperate passion. Might be a bit underrated at this point, with the post playing career issues and those that remember his playing days aging out.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      Despite his numerous character flaws, I was and still am a huge fan of Pete Rose the player. Although most of those flaws weren't public knowledge until his playing career was close to being over.

I still remember watching him play against my 1979 Pirates when he first came to Philly. He played first base and every time the Pirates made the third out at first base, Rose would take the ball out of his glove and spike the ball off the artificial turf. I used to hate that.

I remember that batting stance crouch, the head first slides, and how he would choke up on the bat with two strikes and how he would sprint at almost full speed to first base when he was walked. His passion for the game was fun to watch and contagious for me as a kid. He may never get in, but In my mind Pete Rose is already a Hall-of-Famer. RIP Charlie Hustle.
                      Well said. Pete Rose the player was someone I tried to emulate as a kid. Cracked a rib the first time I tried a head first dive thru the air thanks to him. Then I learned about the head first falling dive.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Johnny Bench talking about Pete Rose:

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Pete Rose had 4,256 hits, 1566 walks, and was hit by a pitch 107 times. Those add up to 5,929. And you have to assume that he reached base on an error at least 3 times a year during his 24 seasons in which he rarely missed time with an injury. That's over 6,000 times that Pete Rose got on base! Let that sink in for a moment.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X