xBA and The Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xBA and The Shift

The Eric Hosmer 2K13 thread got me thinking about xBA and the shift. We always hear about gaps in BA and xBA and you can often correlate hit rates and ball distribution to understand this but when I see people touting in-season BA rebounds for guys like Hosmer or Mark Teixeira because xBA/BA gaps, I know it's more unlikely given the shifts defensively employed against them.

Does anyone know if xBA is taking this into consideration or will? Is it considered just noise at this point? Seems like a flaw.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

The infield defense did an extreme shift against Hosmer in about 3% of his plate appearances in 2012. For Teixeira it was over 30%.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

KS is that public data?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        The infield defense did an extreme shift against Hosmer in about 3% of his plate appearances in 2012. For Teixeira it was over 30%.
        I don't think Teixeira sends Joe Maddon any Christmas cards

Comment

Thanks, KS. So then no on factoring it in to xBA?

Comment

I don't know who does xBA, but I doubt they are factoring this in unless they are purchasing the data on shifts. I am also suggesting it probably doesn't matter for Hosmer.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              I don't know who does xBA, but I doubt they are factoring this in unless they are purchasing the data on shifts. I am also suggesting it probably doesn't matter for Hosmer.
              Ok thanks. Appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
              X