2025: Xavier Edwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2025: Xavier Edwards

I picked him up a month ago because I needed a 2B fill-in. Now look at him.

I won't pretend that I think XE is a .380 hitter but where does he fall for keeper decisions? Our roster freeze comes up just after Labor Day. 16 team with OBA.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

He's done nothing but hit his entire pro career. Not much power but the speed is legit. Contact-oriented approach w excellent plate discipline. Seems to be a Steven Kwan-type offensively. I stubbornly kept him on my list when noone else had him as a top prospect. Very unsustainable Babip of .453 but he does seem like the type to have a high Babip. Wont hit .380 of course but .290-.300 long-term seems realistic at this point. I'm intrigued by the SB potential and I would be interested in keeping him if he is at a good price and you have the room.

Comment

His name goes in a hat with other WW pickups. I can choose up to four.

Today that list is Edwards, Nolan Schanuel, Spencer Schwellenbach, Ryne Nelson, Deyvison De Los Santos, Jacob Wilson, Christian Encarnacion-Strand, and Jose Miranda. Names will shuffle toward the end of the season. The final move date is Sunday after Labor Day.

Any suggestions on who might be under the radar in a midsized league?
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

the prospect formerly known as Slapdick Prospect (thanks for that, Blake Snell) has made a name for himself

Comment

I'm out on Xavier Edwards. I owned a few shares years ago, but it's been a very weird development path. Started as an 80 grade runner, but reports over the last year have lowered his speed grade to a 55-60, which is in line with his baseball Savant data showing sprint speed in the 71st percentile. Combine that with 20-30 grade power, and poor defensive ratings (16th% range, 22nd% arm strength), and it makes his path to relevance extremely narrow.

Especially in OBP format, he's a pass. BA, he might have just elite enough contact ability to have an Amed Rosario or Jeff McNeil type of career, but more likely a David Fletcher type. Elite contact is what I think of as a floor tool, it can be the key ingredient to a long big league career, but it only goes as far as the other tools allow it to.
          Last edited by Teenwolf; 08-06-2024, 05:07 AM.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I hung on to him as one of my prospects 10F. 12 team NL only 5x5 obp instead of ave. $260 budget.

I will gladly keep him for 10 units next year. And I only get 10 keepers.

Comment

He is Arraez lite. Good for a baseball team, not so much for fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                He's stolen 30+ bases in the minor twice. I'd take that with a consistent .300/.350 line any day

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  I’m not seeing the comp at all. Arraez is unique because he strikes out and walks so rarely putting the ball in play 90% of the time. When comping him I’d expect similar rates but Edwards is 70% which is typical.

I think we’re only even talking about Edwards because of his ridiculous .464 babip. High babip is expected with a speedster but that’s crazy high. When it comes back down to normal he’ll be a rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

I’m not seeing the comp at all. Arraez is unique because he strikes out and walks so rarely
                    Saw a note yesterday on Arraez
                    Arraez has the highest BA in MLB since 2022 (.327), Schwarber has the 8th lowest at .217 and yet Schwarber has reached base more times - 638 vs 626. (Schwarber does have 20 more games played)
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I hung on to him as one of my prospects 10F. 12 team NL only 5x5 obp instead of ave. $260 budget.

I will gladly keep him for 10 units next year. And I only get 10 keepers.
                      Run Xavier run!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

I’m not seeing the comp at all. Arraez is unique because he strikes out and walks so rarely putting the ball in play 90% of the time. When comping him I’d expect similar rates but Edwards is 70% which is typical.

I think we’re only even talking about Edwards because of his ridiculous .464 babip. High babip is expected with a speedster but that’s crazy high. When it comes back down to normal he’ll be a rabbit.
                        Is it possible that crazy high comes down to above normal for rabbits high?

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                          Especially in OBP format, he's a pass. BA, he might have just elite enough contact ability to have an Amed Rosario or Jeff McNeil type of career, but more likely a David Fletcher type. Elite contact is what I think of as a floor tool, it can be the key ingredient to a long big league career, but it only goes as far as the other tools allow it to.
                          I don't get this. XE has BB% in double digits. Granted his 30 PA cup of coffee was bad but that is not his norm. If he hits .280 he's a lead off.

If he plays, he's worth something. The question is how much?

Where do you expect his 2025 ADP to fall if he is looking at solid PT?
                          Last edited by onejayhawk; 08-11-2024, 11:28 PM.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Barring injury he should reach 30 sbs. He is an easy keeper for me in my NL 12team 5x5 OBP instead of ave. league. I have him at $10A. I have no idea where his ADP will be.

Comment

Working...
                            X