2K14: Starling Marte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K14: Starling Marte

What are the expectations for this kid this season. Admittedly I'm not into all the sabremetrics but, I some reason for concern along with hope in 2013. His '12 numbers project to 16 HRs and 40 SBs over 550 ABs. They also project to over 160 Ks and less than 30 walks. And just 46 xBHs.

I guess I look at Marte and wonder if he's destined to be a disappointment this season. His SB% has always been low, as has his BB%. His K-rate has always been high. But there is power and speed potential there. I'm thinking, if he gets 550 ABs, he gets roughly. 240-15-50-65-25/10. Am I way off?

The speed this kid has is near-elite but that BB/K ratio is bad. 5% walk rate? Maybe if you make contact 90% of the time! Nope. Marte strikes out as much as most sluggers, 30%. I think PIT is planning on sticking with him though so he's going to get the ABs but I assume they will get sick of him getting out all the time at the top of the order. Those ratios are hard to even KEEP at the top of the order.

He does rely on a nice, fat BABIP though so some of that will offset. I would put him at 15 HRs/30 SBs if he doesn't lose PT, but it will be saddled with a .260 BA at the MLB level if he doesn't show some ability to either draw walks or at least make more contact.

He homered in first AB last year so that was a nice way to start but I think we need to see a better plate approach from him or it will be disappointing.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Marte has been murdering the ball in Venezuela, showing a lot of power. I think he'll hit more HRs than expected but the AVG isn't going to be good. There is a possibility he hits in the middle of the order as opposed to the top so I'll split the difference in runs/RBI.

Closer to .240-20-75-80r-22sb

Comment

31.7% strikeout rate thus far, following up a 29.7% strikeout rate in the second half of 2013.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          31.7% strikeout rate thus far, following up a 29.7% strikeout rate in the second half of 2013.
          Definitely not good... but his walk rate is up to 7.4% and his LD% is up to 23.7%. More of a concern is the lack of power... and the fact that he only has a 23.7% FB rate. Not going to hit many HRs with the ball on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Definitely not good... but his walk rate is up to 7.4% and his LD% is up to 23.7%. More of a concern is the lack of power... and the fact that he only has a 23.7% FB rate. Not going to hit many HRs with the ball on the ground.
            Interesting. Should Marte hit the ball on the ground more and take advantage of his speed, or should he hit the ball in the air more, and leverage his power? Does he have a Carlos Gomez-like power upside, but with even more speed?
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
              Interesting. Should Marte hit the ball on the ground more and take advantage of his speed, or should he hit the ball in the air more, and leverage his power? Does he have a Carlos Gomez-like power upside, but with even more speed?

I was thinking the same thing.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I was thinking the same thing.
                As was I. In a perfect world, Marte's career arc will look similar to Gomez'. Their skillsets are pretty similar.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                  As was I. In a perfect world, Marte's career arc will look similar to Gomez'. Their skillsets are pretty similar.
                  Maybe. Gomez is a seriously strong guy - 6'3" and 220-225 lbs. That often gets missed because he's so fast.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Maybe. Gomez is a seriously strong guy - 6'3" and 220-225 lbs. That often gets missed because he's so fast.
                    Then why does he always backpedal when he is fighting?

Comment

Yeah, Marte isn't anywhere near that big. He's also faster. His build is more like Alfonso Soriano but with less power in his wrists. Ideally he is a guy who will hit mostly grounders and line drives, but also have the ability to drive a mistake.

He has cut down his swinging at pitches outside the zone (Z-swing% down from 36.9 to 32.9) and I still think there is hope that someday he will have solid plate discipline.

Comment

To allow for his tag team partner to drop the "Maldonado Hammer" on the opponent.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

protecting the 'do.
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

To allow for his tag team partner to drop the "Maldonado Hammer" on the opponent.
                            LOL

And here I thought it's because he's always outnumbered and practically surrounded whenever the melee begins.

EDITED TO ADD: "Maldonado Hammers" would be a great team name.
                            2021 Auction Anatomy
                            2021 Keeper Decisions
                            2020 Auction Anatomy
                            2020 Pre-Auction
                            2015 Auction Anatomy
                            2014 Auction Anatomy
                            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Working...
                            X