MLB to Incorporate Negro League Stats Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB to Incorporate Negro League Stats Tomorrow

Wow, this will be a dramatic change to historical records. Josh Gibson will now be recognized as the all-time leader in BA, SLG & OPS, and nis single season BA will now be recognized as the highest ever.

could be great for Vintage Drafts!

what do we think of this major change?

Some notable new leaders:

Season BA: Tetelo Vargas, .471
    Season SLG: Josh Gibson, .974
    Season OPS: Josh Gibson, 1.474
    Season ERA: Robert Keyes, 0.64
    Season WHIP: George Walker, 0.734

Career BA: Josh Gibson, .372
    Career SLG: Josh Gibson, .718
    Career OPS: Josh Gibson, 1.177

Comment

It's great that they are being inclusive, however, are these stats reliable? I have heard some questions about them being accurate in the past, so is this a big mess waiting to happen or will there be more asterisks?

Comment

It sounds to me like it's pretty reliable with what they have included, although only about 80-85% complete because they haven't been able to find and verify box scores for all the Negro major league games yet.

Ron Teasley never dreamed of being a so-called “big leaguer” in the American or National Leagues. He wanted to be a Negro Leaguer. Growing up in Detroit in the 1930s, Teasley would listen to Tigers games on the radio and was a big fan of star second baseman Charlie Gehringer.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Looking at some of the players, the low number of games played in a season will kill BY stats. :/
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Looking at some of the players, the low number of games played in a season will kill BY stats. :/
            They count back yard stats too?
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

https://sports.yahoo.com/baseball-le...231511080.html
              Baseball legend Willie Mays never expected to get 10 more career hits five decades after his last game. But that’s exactly what happened last week when Major League Baseball integrated Negro League statistics into its record books.

“So that’s a very good thing,” Mays told CNN in a statement Wednesday. “It must be some kind of record for a 93-year-old.”
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Baseball legend Willie Mays never expected to get 10 more career hits five decades after his last game. But that’s exactly what happened last week when Major League Baseball integrated Negro League statistics into its record books.

“So that’s a very good thing,” Mays told CNN in a statement Wednesday. “It must be some kind of record for a 93-year-old.”
                I'm more impressed he was able to steal a base.

Comment

What about Hank Aaron?
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

What about Hank Aaron?
                    He was an amazing ballplayer and long time HR King. Also first alphabetically among all MLB players
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

What about Hank Aaron?

Comment

He was an amazing ballplayer and long time HR King. Also first alphabetically among all MLB players
                        According to Wikipedia, the Howe Sports Bureau credits Aaron, who signed with the Indianapolis Clowns in 1951 and spent part of the 1952 season with the Negro Leagues powerhouse, with a .366 batting average, five home runs, 33 RBI, 41 hits, and nine stolen bases in 26 official games.​

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          MLB is probably waiting until they can find enough Hank Aaron Negro league stats to surpass Barry Bonds" records. They will probably announce it on Barry's birthday lol.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

David Aardsma disagrees.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

David Aardsma disagrees.
                              Who??
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X