Fielding shift for righthand batters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fielding shift for righthand batters

Has there ever been a right handed batter that faced a defensive "shift"? I can't recall one.

Why is it that left-handed hitters are the ones who can't seem to hit to the opposite field?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

The greatest "handedness" advantage is LHB v RHP, then RHB v LHP -- this feeds into it. About 75-80% of the time, a LHB is at bat in the most favorable hitting scenario.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Has there ever been a right handed batter that faced a defensive "shift"? I can't recall one.

Why is it that left-handed hitters are the ones who can't seem to hit to the opposite field?
      Rays do it each time Encarnacion & Bautista are up as well as when several pull-happy RH are up

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        Rays do it each time Encarnacion & Bautista are up as well as when several pull-happy RH are up
        Thanks guys!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Bautista sees it the most often, then Encarnacion, Pujols, Smoak, Uggla, Hart, and Carlos Santana. But none of them get shifted nearly as often as the big LH boppers.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

The Rays did it to Andruw Jones each time they faced him as well

Comment

Working...
            X