2K13: Brett Lawrie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K13: Brett Lawrie

Lawrie’s breakout 2011 performance and the splash he made in his debut caused expectations and hype to spiral out of control. Lawrie hit .293 with 9 HR and 7 SB in only 150 at-bats as a rookie, so he looked like a 20-20 player in the making entering 2012. He will no doubt be a huge post-hype prospect in 2013 coming off a disappointing season (.273 BA, 11 HR, 48 RBI, 13 SB, in 125 games). Is it too much to expect him to double those numbers this season, 22 HR, 90 RBI, 25 SB, or does he remain more hype than production?

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
    Is it too much to expect him to double those numbers this season, 22 HR, 90 RBI, 25 SB, or does he remain more hype than production?
    I kinda do. While I hope to not pay for those numbers, that's his upside, which I think is very achievable.

Comment

He's so aggro that I don't feel comfortable projecting him for more than 140 games. So plan accordingly.

Comment

my sense is that the typical post-hype drop doesn't apply as much here. He's only 23, there's still a lot of reason for optimism; if he has a half-decent spring/World Classic (he's playing for Canada), expect to have to pay big.

my subjective, no-analysis-beyond-gut-feel projection: with the vastly improved offense around him I expect him to settle down & be much more patient at the plate ... .295-22hr-80rbi-15sb-95r
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

The projections I've seen on him and the profile looks good for a 2B but as a 3B, I'm not really interested yet. I suppose if you want him for this year and are looking for a guy who might breakout, he's a big upside player but his BB/K ratio is below average and he struggled against RHP enough that I can't see any reason to gangbusters on him for '13 based on what we know at draft time.

His month of June though shows you he can be what people think he will be.

June 2012
          113 AB
          .310 BA
          .371 OBP
          4 HR
          12 RBI
          24 Runs
          4 SBs
          14 XBH
          9BB/10K
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I just acquired Lawrie in his contract year (mixed)...obviously I predict a bounce-back, but would you extend him or just keep him for this year only? He is only $5 right now, $5 more per season.

Comment

Not sure why you wouldn't extend. Thankfully I don't have to make the decision until next year in RJEL but if I had to now I would bump him 2 years to $15 and feel fine about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                Not sure why you wouldn't extend. Thankfully I don't have to make the decision until next year in RJEL but if I had to now I would bump him 2 years to $15 and feel fine about it.
                How about a 12 team AL only were he's $10 and you need to make a decision now? I'm thinking $15 through 2014. $20 seems too much based on last year.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

agreed - 15 sounds about right.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    agreed - 15 sounds about right.
                    Agree - too much uncertainty to go to $20 imo.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Blue Jays activated 2B Brett Lawrie from the 15-day disabled list.

Comment

Four more games, and he'll be 2B eligible for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X