Latest Example of Why Wins Suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Example of Why Wins Suck

I know there are lots of examples of this, but the one I'm struck by this season for my team so far is Kutter Crawford. He has a 0.42 era, giving up 1 run over 4 starts, including today. He has zero wins.

Do you think switching to QS is a better category than W to assess SP value though? I struggle with this. If we down shifted the QS requirements from 6 IP, 3 ER or better, to 5 IP, 2 ER, I think I'd support that over Wins, at this point.

I saw a graph showing the percentage of Wins going to starters vs relievers going down year over year for like 20 years. Kinda changed my thinking on the long-term viability of Wins as a category.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I’ve been considering IP instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Do you think switching to QS is a better category than W to assess SP value though? I struggle with this. If we down shifted the QS requirements from 6 IP, 3 ER or better, to 5 IP, 2 ER, I think I'd support that over Wins, at this point.

I saw a graph showing the percentage of Wins going to starters vs relievers going down year over year for like 20 years. Kinda changed my thinking on the long-term viability of Wins as a category.
        Yeah, QS aren't much better as they are. Sharky's idea may be a less popular alternative, but I like the idea of adding IP. It would hurt reliever values, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I know there are lots of examples of this, but the one I'm struck by this season for my team so far is Kutter Crawford. He has a 0.42 era, giving up 1 run over 4 starts, including today. He has zero wins.
          As a $16A Kutter Crawford owner in my 5x5 AL only I feel your pain. I chalk it up as part of the game. Just like in my NL league Acuna $54B has no home runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

As a $16A Kutter Crawford owner in my 5x5 AL only I feel your pain. I chalk it up as part of the game. Just like in my NL league Acuna $54B has no home runs.
            In my local league, I drafted Julio Rodriguez, Wyatt Langford, Ke'Bryan Hayes, Spencer Torkelson, and Josh lowe. And so far these five players have combined for zero home runs for me. And then I added Colt Keith, who has matched their total.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Yeah, QS aren't much better as they are. Sharky's idea may be a less popular alternative, but I like the idea of adding IP. It would hurt reliever values, though.
              Slightly ding, not really hurt - and I consider this more of a feature than bug.

Using last season's stats for a Mixed 15 5x5, the first list is those in the top 135 with standard scoring but not IP, with the second list those taking their place:

IN standard 5x5
              JP Sears
              Domingo German
              Tom Cosgrove
              Jose Alvarado
              Lucas Giolito
              Adam Ottavino
              Johan Oviedo
              Tyler Rogers
              Phil Maton

IN IP
              Julio Urias
              Andrew Nardi
              Brayan Bello
              Andres Munoz
              J.P. France
              Kyle Gibson
              Kirby Yates
              Lucas Sims
              Ian Gibaut

Here are the aggregate earnings for all relievers with at least 10 saves in the positive pools

Wins $246.2
              IP $233.6

At least 10 holds

Wins $118.5
              IP $100.6

At least 10 saves + Holds

WIns $353.2
              IP $324.3

There were only three relievers with fewer than 10 "SOLDS".

Wins $10.0
              IP $10.60

All relievers

Wins $354.2
              IP $328.4

Difference =$25.8

For me, the feature is this almost $26 gets added to starters who threw more innings, but were shorted wins, for whatever reason.

Biggest gainers with IP

Sandy Alcantara
              Sonny Gray
              Logan Webb
              Corbin Burnes
              Yennier Cano
              Cristopher Sanchez
              Jordan Montgomery
              Kyle Hendricks
              Alex Cobb
              Michael King

Biggest losers with IP

​Colin Poche
              Spencer Strider
              Kevin Ginkel
              Michael Wacha
              Matt Brash
              Andrew Nardi
              Alexis Diaz
              Devin Williams
              Tanner Scott
              Felix Bautista
              A.J. Puk
              Clayton Kershaw
              Justin Steele

Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Great breakdown Todd. Thank you for sharing it. Why I am attracted to it is I like when fantasy tracks with real life player values. It is why I like points leagues, which can, with the right allocations, be more intuitive in terms of player values than roto (an early turn off from roto was seeing Juan Pierre on par with Barry Bonds one year, long ago). Seeing that adding IP doesn't radically change values and boosts those pitchers that are real life anchors that save their team's bullpens just makes sense. Changes to scoring that are intuitive and line up with fans perceptions of values are good changes to me. And yeah, in real baseball all relievers are less value than in roto, so dinging them a bit is a feature, not a bug, I agree.

Comment

I realize it's not the most logical category, but this is a fantasy we're all playing and Wins plus QS (WQS) actually works better IMO than either category by itself. The drawbacks of each kind of cancel each other out. I convinced our league to switch about 4-5 years ago and not a single person has asked to switch back.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    I realize it's not the most logical category, but this is a fantasy we're all playing and Wins plus QS (WQS) actually works better IMO than either category by itself. The drawbacks of each kind of cancel each other out. I convinced our league to switch about 4-5 years ago and not a single person has asked to switch back.
                    That would be interesting to look at. In the sample of one for Kutter Crawford in his first four games, it is interesting to note that he only have one quality starter, despite his 0.42 era, because he only went 5 IP on average in three of his starts. That isn't a data point that means anything, of course, but poor Kutter would still be doing poorly in a combined cat so far this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X