A Tale of 2 Auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of 2 Auctions

I've done 2 auctions this spring. 12 tm AL and 12 tm NL.

My first auction was the AL one, and with bi-weekly lineups, I decided to load up on mid-tier SP's. I went a little overboard with the strategy.

C - Y. Diaz $1B
    1B - A. Rizzo $25
    2B - E. Julien $5A
    SS - D. Hernaiz $5A
    3B - G. Urshela $5A
    OF1 - Y. Alvarez $20 ('25)
    OF2 - C. Mullins $14X
    OF3 - K. Carpenter $8B
    OF4 - N. Velazquez $3B
    OF5 - D. Waters $4A
    MI - J. Altuve $35A
    CI - M. Sano $1A
    UT - J. Meyers $5A
    UT - A. Ibanez $1A

SP1 - G. Kirby $5B
    SP2 - S. Bieber $25A
    SP3 - L. Varland $18A
    SP4 - N. Cortes $16A
    SP5 - S. Lugo $14A
    SP6 - R. Olson $6B
    SP7 - C. Schmidt $9A
    SP8 - C. Mize $7A
    RP1 - A. Munoz $1X

RSV - T. Holton $1A
    IL - J. Means $2B
    IL - M. Scherzer $15A
    IL - A. Manoah $5A
    IL - L. McCullers $1A

Farm - R. Tiedemann, J. Jobe, J. Clase, and The Martian.

The offense has a few holes, but seems more mid-pack than awful, to me. If the pitching dominates like the budget says it should, and the bats stay mid pack, I should be in contention.

2nd auction was NL Only. Going in with 10 hitting keepers, decided to pull an old school LIMA ("low investment mound aces"... Damn I'm old...) strategy, piling my money into hitting, and taking innings eaters and gambles on pitching. I viewed this as more likely a rebuilder, so wanted 1 big anchor for trade bait. Betts $59 should fetch something good if I fall out of it.

C - L. Campusano $5A
    1B - R. Hoskins $10B
    2B - K. Marte $23B
    SS - T. Estrada $6 ('25)
    3B - JD Davis $4X
    OF1 - M. Betts $59A
    OF2 - J. Chisholm $15 ('25)
    OF3 - I. Happ $21X
    OF4 - L. Gurriel $22B
    OF5 - W. Benson $11B
    CI - M. Chapman $13A
    MI - B. Rodgers $8B
    UT - T. Edman $18A
    UT - J. Yepez $1A

SP1 - E. Sheehan $9A
    SP2 - J. Jones $8A
    SP3 - A. Cobb $2A
    SP4 - K. Gibson $1A
    SP5 - M. Black $1A
    SP6 - J. Butto $1A
    SP7 - P. Avila $1A
    SP8 - J. Ross $1A
    RP1 - O. Kerkering $4A

RSV - M. Strahm $2A
    RSV - H. Wesneski $1A
    RSV - K. Hurt $1A
    RSV - H. Milner $1A

The main problem with this one is that Jones $8, Kerkering $4, Black $1, Hurt $1, and Butto $1 all need to make the ML team out of spring or get dropped. Butto already sent down, but really hoping Jones and Kerkering make the big club.

I think the pitching heavy draft works better than LIMA. There's way too much information out there now to find pitching diamonds in dollar days. Although I would LOVE to attempt LIMA in a shallow league, I think attempting it in deeper formats is suicidal. But maybe that's based on the makeup of keepers, and I should have went the opposite way in an auction where all 10 keepers are bats. If I held a cheap ace or two, maybe it's more viable.

Any thoughts?​
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

My first auction was the AL one, and with bi-weekly lineups, I decided to load up on mid-tier SP's. I went a little overboard with the strategy.

C - Y. Diaz $1B
    1B - A. Rizzo $25
    2B - E. Julien $5A
    SS - D. Hernaiz $5A
    3B - G. Urshela $5A
    OF2 - C. Mullins $14X
    OF3 - K. Carpenter $8B
    OF4 - N. Velazquez $3B
    OF5 - D. Waters $4A
    MI - J. Altuve $35A
    CI - M. Sano $1A
    UT - J. Meyers $5A
    UT - A. Ibanez $1A

SP1 - G. Kirby $5B
    SP2 - S. Bieber $25A
    SP3 - L. Varland $18A
    SP4 - N. Cortes $16A
    SP5 - S. Lugo $14A
    SP6 - R. Olson $6B
    SP7 - C. Schmidt $9A
    SP8 - C. Mize $7A
    RP1 - A. Munoz $1X

RSV - T. Holton $1A
    IL - J. Means $2B
    IL - M. Scherzer $15A
    IL - A. Manoah $5A
    IL - L. McCullers $1A

The offense has a few holes, but seems more mid-pack than awful, to me. If the pitching dominates like the budget says it should, and the bats stay mid pack, I should be in contention.

2nd auction was NL Only. Going in with 10 hitting keepers, decided to pull an old school LIMA ("low investment mound aces"... Damn I'm old...) strategy, piling my money into hitting, and taking innings eaters and gambles on pitching. I viewed this as more likely a rebuilder, so wanted 1 big anchor for trade bait. Betts $59 should fetch something good if I fall out of it.

C - L. Campusano $5A
    1B - R. Hoskins $10B
    2B - K. Marte $23B
    SS - T. Estrada $6 ('25)
    3B - JD Davis $4X
    OF1 - M. Betts $59A
    OF3 - I. Happ $21X
    OF4 - L. Gurriel $22B
    OF5 - W. Benson $11B
    CI - M. Chapman $13A
    MI - B. Rodgers $8B
    UT - T. Edman $18A
    UT - J. Yepez $1A

SP1 - E. Sheehan $9A
    SP2 - J. Jones $8A
    SP3 - A. Cobb $2A
    SP4 - K. Gibson $1A
    SP5 - M. Black $1A
    SP6 - J. Butto $1A
    SP7 - P. Avila $1A
    SP8 - J. Ross $1A
    RP1 - O. Kerkering $4A

RSV - M. Strahm $2A
    RSV - H. Wesneski $1A
    RSV - K. Hurt $1A
    RSV - H. Milner $1A

The main problem with this one is that Jones $8, Kerkering $4, Black $1, Hurt $1, and Butto $1 all need to make the ML team out of spring or get dropped. Butto already sent down, but really hoping Jones and Kerkering make the big club.

I think the pitching heavy draft works better than LIMA. There's way too much information out there now to find pitching diamonds in dollar days. Although I would LOVE to attempt LIMA in a shallow league, I think attempting it in deeper formats is suicidal. But maybe that's based on the makeup of keepers, and I should have went the opposite way in an auction where all 10 keepers are bats. If I held a cheap ace or two, maybe it's more viable.

Any thoughts?​
    Oh, i have thoughts, and I'll share them with you.

But they really won't be that interesting, anyway:

1) I've never played in an only league, and i have to say it looks quite savage. what kind of person would subject themself to this voluntarily ?
    2) AL only team - RIzzo for 25 crushes my soul, i guess that is part of what you sign up for in an only league.
    3) Is Miguel Sano still alive ? I guess so
    4) Pitching - I love the Bieber and Lugo picks...kinda like Cortes. I'm a sucker for injured pitchers so thumbs up on Scherzer and McCullers (can't quit that guy). I like Schmidt and Mize in general, not sure if the price is right...Manoah is worth a chance.
    5) Varland at 18 just confirms I don't know much about fantasy baseball

---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Oh, i have thoughts, and I'll share them with you.

But they really won't be that interesting, anyway:

1) I've never played in an only league, and i have to say it looks quite savage. what kind of person would subject themself to this voluntarily ?
      2) AL only team - RIzzo for 25 crushes my soul, i guess that is part of what you sign up for in an only league.
      3) Is Miguel Sano still alive ? I guess so
      4) Pitching - I love the Bieber and Lugo picks...kinda like Cortes. I'm a sucker for injured pitchers so thumbs up on Scherzer and McCullers (can't quit that guy). I like Schmidt and Mize in general, not sure if the price is right...Manoah is worth a chance.
      5) Varland at 18 just confirms I don't know much about fantasy baseball
      NL only review after the Kentucky/Oakland game finishes, ha ha
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

C - Y. Diaz $1B
        1B - A. Rizzo $25
        2B - E. Julien $5A
        SS - D. Hernaiz $5A
        3B - G. Urshela $5A
        OF2 - C. Mullins $14X
        OF3 - K. Carpenter $8B
        OF4 - N. Velazquez $3B
        OF5 - D. Waters $4A
        MI - J. Altuve $35A
        CI - M. Sano $1A
        UT - J. Meyers $5A
        UT - A. Ibanez $1A

SP1 - G. Kirby $5B
        SP2 - S. Bieber $25A
        SP3 - L. Varland $18A
        SP4 - N. Cortes $16A
        SP5 - S. Lugo $14A
        SP6 - R. Olson $6B
        SP7 - C. Schmidt $9A
        SP8 - C. Mize $7A
        RP1 - A. Munoz $1X

RSV - T. Holton $1A
        IL - J. Means $2B
        IL - M. Scherzer $15A
        IL - A. Manoah $5A
        IL - L. McCullers $1A

C - L. Campusano $5A
        1B - R. Hoskins $10B
        2B - K. Marte $23B
        SS - T. Estrada $6 ('25)
        3B - JD Davis $4X
        OF1 - M. Betts $59A
        OF3 - I. Happ $21X
        OF4 - L. Gurriel $22B
        OF5 - W. Benson $11B
        CI - M. Chapman $13A
        MI - B. Rodgers $8B
        UT - T. Edman $18A
        UT - J. Yepez $1A

SP1 - E. Sheehan $9A
        SP2 - J. Jones $8A
        SP3 - A. Cobb $2A
        SP4 - K. Gibson $1A
        SP5 - M. Black $1A
        SP6 - J. Butto $1A
        SP7 - P. Avila $1A
        SP8 - J. Ross $1A
        RP1 - O. Kerkering $4A

RSV - M. Strahm $2A
        RSV - H. Wesneski $1A
        RSV - K. Hurt $1A
        RSV - H. Milner $1A

Any thoughts?​
        ok, Oakland has this in the bag.... NL only thoughts

Not much to say, you went big on Betts, got a couple other hitters and then got what you could on pitching. Seems unlikely the pitching staff will lead to a happy ending, but you probably know that.

Best of luck this year with your teams, nice to see you post.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I did a 11 or 12 team NL only league for years - basically Chipper Jones's career span

Junior Felix was the ceremonial last pick for a few years

Comment

Your AL seems in line with our recent one. A few minor differences but I think you did fine. Personally would have skipped one or two of the back end pitchers in order to avoid so many $1 hitters. But hindsight is 20-20 (supposedly).

The NL… given your keepers, I would have leaned much more to pitching. Even if you still favored hitting, you need something more on the pitching side. I’m not sure it really qualifies as LIMA if it’s missing the “mound aces” part. It’s low investment though! Cobb and Gibson maybe. The rest are speculations with limited upside on the whole because of your drop rule. I just don’t think they’ll throw enough innings. Typically you would want good ratios and high IP or at least high K with bad ratios. Not sure you got either. Betts a good chip but by going that route you have one bullet to fire. I might have spread the wealth a bit so you could pursue two or three rebuilding trades.

bottom line though: hope you had fun and I wish you the best of luck this season!!

Comment

Working...
            X