Blake Snell and Devin Williams Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake Snell and Devin Williams Decisions

My keeper list is due Friday. I have both Blake Snell and Devin Williams at good prices. I'm nervous about Snell not signing and Williams seeking a second opinion on lingering back pain. Would you keep either or both at good prices (my league is weird, so the specific prices won't be useful without a lot of context, but comparable pitchers in the auction, if fully healthy and signed and ready to go would go for about 50% more of their prices), or toss them back given their uncertainty? With clear injuries, I'm able to calculate the discount and risk, but with these two, I'm not sure how much I should be deflating their value.

I'm a gambler. Albeit not a good one. But, I would keep both players.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Williams out 3 months with 2 stress fractures in his back

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        I'm a gambler. Albeit not a good one. But, I would keep both players.
        I warned you.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

well, my 10th keeper spot in RJEL just opened up as I'm not sure I want to ride out an $8 Williams and that his back holds up to that timeline

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            well, my 10th keeper spot in RJEL just opened up as I'm not sure I want to ride out an $8 Williams and that his back holds up to that timeline
            Looking more into it, a small glimmer of hope. The fractures are not uncommon among athletes and given time to heal, should heal completely and does not necessarily mean future back issues. It is enough to make me want to believe, but I keep coming back to the fact that if 6 weeks of rests is enough to heal it, then why did it not heal all off-season? And if the pain persisted all offseason, why did Williams not seek this diagnosis earlier? That is my biggest hang up with his case, because after looking it up, the long term outcomes looks good, as long as the injury is given sufficient time to heal fully. It just doesn't make sense that if he was pitching all offseason, he wouldn't have noticed this given it started last year, but if he didn't pitch all offseason, he should have had plenty of time away from the movements that caused the fractures and it should have healed.

Comment

I am probably late, but I think Snell is worth a gamble
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                I am probably late, but I think Snell is worth a gamble
                I have until midnight. I was leaning no, but the Astros rumors have me back to yes. I like him, I'm going for it. If he does sign with the Astros, I'll be happy. Not many better landing places.

Comment

So, what did you do?

― Albert Einstein

Comment

So, what did you do?
                    I kept him and regretted it when I saw the Astros did not want to give 60 mil for 2 years. I think it is pretty crazy a team has not jumped at his reduced years asking price. I am hoping something happens soon. I really do not get how low demand seems to be for the two time Cy young winner. Two years 60ish mil seems like a very reasonable contract to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

I kept him and regretted it when I saw the Astros did not want to give 60 mil for 2 years. I think it is pretty crazy a team has not jumped at his reduced years asking price. I am hoping something happens soon. I really do not get how low demand seems to be for the two time Cy young winner. Two years 60ish mil seems like a very reasonable contract to me.
                      Did you keep Williams too? He was kept at $6 in my 11 team mixed.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Did you keep Williams too? He was kept at $6 in my 11 team mixed.
                        No, I let him go. I may try to get him back, though. My read on my league this year is an extreme aversion to hurt pitchers, so there may be some values there. Generally, my strategy is to avoid hurt arms, but I try to find value where I can, and if everyone else is fading these guys, I may pick a couple I believe will come back and finish strong. Initially, hearing of a back injury put me off Devin, but it seems like something that can heal completely with proper rest. If he is cheap enough, I may nab him. Last year, I landed Edwin Diaz cheap and I'm hoping it pays off this year. In the meantime, I traded for a $1 Kutter Crawford as my final keeper. I like his upside.

Comment

Working...
                        X