Podcast/Radio Show Pet Peeve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcast/Radio Show Pet Peeve

It's quite annoying to listen to a fantasy podcast/show where the host mangles a player name repeatedly. It's even more annoying when there are multiple hosts and they each say the name differently without correcting each other at a break. It's definitely understandable when it's the player who changes their pronunciation (i.e. Luis "Robert" to "Ro-bear" then back to "Robert") and there's no consistent way to say it, but I was listening to a podcast I found yesterday on overvalued fantasy players and the host repeatedly called Adley Rutschmann "Al-dee," like the supermarket. It made what was shaping up as a solid program to be unlistenable.

I also was listening to Scott Engle yesterday constantly mangle Adolis Garcia's name, turning "Ah-DOH-lees" into "ado-LEASE." Don't get me wrong, big fan of the King, but it was definitely annoying, lol.

A few years back Jeff Mans would pronounce Sam Darnold's name as "Dar-no" like Travis d'Arnaud, and that excruciatingly went on for months until thankfully Darnold lost relevance, lol.

Fake it till they don't make it.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      Fake it till they don't make it.
      I mean, Aldi Rutschmann?? Really?

Comment

Yeah, if you're going to be a professional announcer, learn to say the names correctly. It's worse when the mispronunciations dont even make any sense (like Al-dee).

Comment

today I learned that BBRef has a tool for this: https://www.baseball-reference.com/f...on-guide.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            today I learned that BBRef has a tool for this: https://www.baseball-reference.com/f...on-guide.shtml
            Whoa! I knew they listed some pronunciations directly on the player page, but didn't know about this page.

Comment

Rich Wilson does that shit constantly. I think mispronouncing players is part of his schtick at this point, which is annoying.

By far to me the most annoying peeve is when an analyst talks about a player for 10 minutes and never says his name. All "he" and "him" - there are certain podcasters who really make a concerted effort not to do this and say the name of the player purposely and multiple times (the best in the biz at this are Sporer, Mason and Collette on Sleeper & The Bust - thank you!).

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                Rich Wilson does that shit constantly. I think mispronouncing players is part of his schtick at this point, which is annoying.
                Yeah, Rich is unbelievably bad at names. I dont think it's intentional - some people are just very bad at correct name pronunciation. But I really like the friendliness and lighted-hearted nature of his podcasts w Tim MacLeod.

Comment

My whole fantasy football league was in an uproar on our group text when Al Michaels of all people kept pronouncing David Njoku's name as "Na-Joka" instead of "En-Jo-Koo" and he wasn't catching on when Kirk Herbstreit kept pronouncing it correctly. Then he suddenly corrected it during the 2nd quarter, before sporadically using "Na-Joka" a few more times.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                    Yeah, if you're going to be a professional announcer, learn to say the names correctly. It's worse when the mispronunciations dont even make any sense (like Al-dee).
                    He actually had me checking it to see if it really was "Aldey" and I was the one who's been wrong this whole time!

This is the podcast. The "Aldeys" start at the 6:35 mark.

Gave this podcast another shot, and his number 5 overrated player is......"Ha-SAY-YONG" Kim, not "Ha-SONG Kim". Oh jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      My whole fantasy football league was in an uproar on our group text when Al Michaels of all people kept pronouncing David Njoku's name as "Na-Joka" instead of "En-Jo-Koo" and he wasn't catching on when Kirk Herbstreit kept pronouncing it correctly. Then he suddenly corrected it during the 2nd quarter, before sporadically using "Na-Joka" a few more times.
                      Had to re-read this a few times before I realized, no, Al Michaels wasn't in your fantasy football league.
                      Last edited by Ken; 02-26-2024, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Had to re-read this a few times before I realized, no, Al Michaels wasn't in you fantasy football league.
                        Maybe he is....?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post

By far to me the most annoying peeve is when an analyst talks about a player for 10 minutes and never says his name. All "he" and "him" - there are certain podcasters who really make a concerted effort not to do this and say the name of the player purposely and multiple times (the best in the biz at this are Sporer, Mason and Collette on Sleeper & The Bust - thank you!).
                          Agree on both points, but especially the bolded part. I'm usually doing other things when listening. If you miss the name from the start, you're playing detective trying to use their context cues. Super annoying.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Got this gem today on one podcast:
                            Travis "Dee-AR-no."

Comment

Today's winner comes from Bubba of the "Bubba & the Bloom" podcast:

Victor "Rubbles"

Maybe he just watched "The Flinstones" this morning....

EDIT TO ADD — kept listening, and ugh, Bubba’s killing me. He keeps mangling names while his partner says them correctly:

- Miles MEEK-olis
                              - Nolan Sha-NOLL

Ken, send those guys that BBR pronounciaton link!

Comment

Working...
                              X