Deciding on Final Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on Final Keepers

I've made lots of moves this offseason, and I think I'm in a good position going into the season. But I'm left trying to decide how to fill my 14th and 15th keeper slots with three players I think are viable options. I should note this is a $400 cap 14 team league with 22 starters (13 bats and 9 pitchers) and 8 bench spots, 4 IL spots, and 20 minor league spots. So, it is fairly deep for a mixed league with more inflation than most are used to. So, while their ADP might suggest all could be thrown back and gotten again at their costs or below, I think all three would likely go for at least their current costs:

Three options for two slots: Lourdes Gurriel $4, Jordan Westburg $5, and Christopher Sanchez $5 (recently acquired after seeing Jason list him as a breakout candidate).

My leaning is toward Gurriel and Sanchez, but the additional context is that I have 4 other OFers, 6 SPs, and 2 RPs locked in as keepers and I'm very light on infielders with only Kim as an infield keeper. This fact probably shouldn't influence me, but it does a little bit. I keep trying to squint at Westburg with the hopes he is a justifiable keeper over the other two, but so far, I haven't been able to do that. If he gets traded to the White Sox for Cease or something, I think that would change, but I worry he won't get full-time ABs on a loaded Orioles team. I guess I'm showing my thought process here, because I'd love to be able to justify keeping him, given my team needs, but I'm leaning to him being the odd man out.

Sanchez
    Gurriel
    Velazquez
    Westburg
    Last edited by madducks; 02-19-2024, 06:35 PM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the response madducks. Another contender is Nelson Velazquez $5. I love his upside, but it is hard to justify keeping him over the safer Gurriel given Velazquez' PT limitation risks, but I figured I'd mention him too in case anyone ranks him higher than the others.

Comment

I *may* keep Gurriel, but no one else mentioned. With a $400 budget, and one fewer hitter than a standard lineup, I'd rather not lock up a roster spot. You'll find another equivalent guy for $5 or less in the auction. I want as many spots open as possible in this format.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
          I *may* keep Gurriel, but no one else mentioned. With a $400 budget, and one fewer hitter than a lineup, I'd rather not lock up a roster spot. You'll find another equivalent guy for $5 or less in the auction. I want as many spots open as possible in this format.
          Gracias. Sanchez seems like a divisive guy....I've seen some, like Nick Pollack, rank him in their top 50 SPs, while most projections are more modest. He is the sort of buzzy guy who would probably get bid up to double digits in my league. The value in this league is all in the safe and reliable sorts that don't have big upside, like Gurriel, with the extra bucks almost always going to the upside "sleeper" sorts. So maybe the play is to let them all go. I'm not sure. If Sanchez can sort out his HR issues against righties, he could be a good one. But I guess most pitchers are an "if, then" statement away from better production.

Also, the missing hitter is the 2nd catcher, fwiw. We have 5 OFers and a util, so Gurriel is definitely a starting OFer.

Comment

I'd definitely keep Gurriel. D'Backs lineup should be improved and he's in the heart of the order.

Sanchez, I could see it. I hadn't looked too closely since he's owned and kept in all my leagues, although Jason's breakout post piqued my interest.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
            X