NFFC employee cheating scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFFC employee cheating scandal

Surprised this topic hasnt been discussed yet. https://www.espn.com/espn/betting/st...iring-employee

Crazy. Has some parallels to the DFS cheating scandal a few years ago. These sites need to do a better job of auditing their employees.

Comment

Feel terrible for Greg and Tom who I've known since 2008 personally when were were Fanball colleagues together. The two of them have built a tremendous thing that is now being severely underminded by someone who they put a lot of faith into over the years for reasons yet to be determined.

Comment

One thing I haven't seen anything about yet is the fact they were basing everything off the time stamping, which is great, glad it worked and glad that's how it was caught (even as coincidental as it was!). But in CBS leagues, for example, a commish can delete the time stamping on ANY transaction, including post-lock lineup moves. What's to say this rogue employee didn't delete time stamps, if that's possible? There's been no mention, from what I've seen, if deleting time stamped transactions is in fact possible.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          One thing I haven't seen anything about yet is the fact they were basing everything off the time stamping, which is great, glad it worked and glad that's how it was caught (even as coincidental as it was!). But in CBS leagues, for example, a commish can delete the time stamping on ANY transaction, including post-lock lineup moves. What's to say this rogue employee didn't delete time stamps, if that's possible? There's been no mention, from what I've seen, if deleting time stamped transactions is in fact possible.
          my home league commissioner, who manages 4 leagues on CBS, is considering migrating after this season if this loophole isn't closed because he's not comfortable with this. He's emailed CBS a few times about this and I suggested he now do so in light of this current news.

As commissioner, he could go back and change service times of players who had hot weeks early in the season over the allstar break when nobody is paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post

my home league commissioner, who manages 4 leagues on CBS, is considering migrating after this season if this loophole isn't closed because he's not comfortable with this. He's emailed CBS a few times about this and I suggested he now do so in light of this current news.

As commissioner, he could go back and change service times of players who had hot weeks early in the season over the allstar break when nobody is paying attention.
            We had a commissioner do exactly this about 10 years ago with the adjust service time function to change something that happened a month ago, and somehow he got caught basically the next day.

The problem is, that's a necessary feature because of some of the screwy CBS add/drop timing rules. As a commish I have to go in and use this feature at least 8-9 times year when someone drops a guy after the first game of the day, and the player hadn't played yet but the transaction posts to the next day and the guy has an illegal lineup...yadda yadda.

Comment

I brought this exact issue up to Greg in the discord last week. He responded and said he'd ask his IT department because he didn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

I brought this exact issue up to Greg in the discord last week. He responded and said he'd ask his IT department because he didn't know.
                Seems a little strange that he wouldn't know this about his own product, when almost every CBS commish knows about this feature.

I'm assuming there was no way to delete a time-stamped transaction because I would have to believe the rogue employee would've done that to cover his tracks.

Comment

Seems a little strange that he wouldn't know this about his own product, when almost every CBS commish knows about this feature.

I'm assuming there was no way to delete a time-stamped transaction because I would have to believe the rogue employee would've done that to cover his tracks.
                  Greg's response was that he's not an IT guy so he doesn't know for sure. Basically he's a business guy not a tech guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Greg's response was that he's not an IT guy so he doesn't know for sure. Basically he's a business guy not a tech guy.
                    What a poor response. I like Greg Ambrosius, but his answers to this scandal have seemed amateurish.

Comment

What a poor response. I like Greg Ambrosius, but his answers to this scandal have seemed amateurish.
                      I think this is an unfair characterization. As for this reply, what was he supposed to say? All game operators are not intimate with the software that runs their contests. In this instance, with something so important, perhaps he should have known the capabilities, but the fact he didn't know if time-stamped transactions could be deleted means he didn't know how to do it, and if he didn't, it likely isn't possible. Yes, a leap of faith on my part, but logical, at least to me.

Admittedly, Greg's initial response to the scandal was ill-advised. But I'll say this. While it didn't come from the head, it came from the heart, the same heart that was integral in building an incredible high-stakes community, not to mention he was instrumental in the initial forming and influence of the FSTA, shaping the industry.

It's no secret I go way back with Greg and Tom, but I am giving Greg a mulligan for the initial response, and am going to be patient, let things play out, and then form an opinion on the actions the NFC (and other pay for play sites) take in the wake of the scandal.
                      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Working...
                      X