2024 Baseball Hall of Fame Voting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Baseball Hall of Fame Voting

Adrián Beltré, Joe Mauer and Todd Helton were elected to the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame on Tuesday.

Beltré and Mauer earned induction into the hallowed halls of Cooperstown on their very first year on the ballot — garnering 95.1 percent and 76.1 percent of the vote respectively. It was a much longer road for Todd Helton, who finally eclipsed the 75% threshold (with 79.7 percent) in his sixth season on the ballot. Billy Wagner fell just five votes short of induction — finishing with 73.8 percent of the vote in his ninth season of eligibility. He should be able to nose it over the finish line in his final year on the ballot. Gary Sheffield was unable to do so in his final year of eligibility, finishing at 63.9 percent. Andruw Jones saw his total slightly rise from 58.1 percent to 61.6 percent in his seventh year on the ballot. Carlos Beltran was the only other player with over 50 percent of the vote — getting 57.1 percent in his second year on the ballot.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

I think Sheffield and Jones should eventually get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I think Sheffield and Jones should eventually get in.
      Sheffield would need the Vet's Committee to put him in, and given the number of PED-tainted players who should've made it, not sure he ever gets in.

Comment

I'm for Beltran.

Do players who change teams several times have more issues than players who are iconic for one team?
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          I'm for Beltran.

Do players who change teams several times have more issues than players who are iconic for one team?
          The baseball writers are punishing Carlos Beltran for his involvement in the Astros cheating scandal.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            I'm for Beltran.

Seems that way. Yesterday for the first time I read in a couple of articles that "team loyalty" is a very small, but somewhat meaningful, factor.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Seems that way. Yesterday for the first time I read in a couple of articles that "team loyalty" is a very small, but somewhat meaningful, factor.
              I assumed this too. If a voter is in the camp that cheaters should not get in, I'm not sure why they would apply that logic only to PED users. That said, historically, cheating on the field to win has often been seen differently from PED use, so it is still somewhat surprising that it seemed to ding him,
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-25-2024, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

I assumed this too. If a voter is in the camp that cheaters should not get in, I'm not sure why they would apply that logic only to PED users. That said, historically, cheating on the field to win has often been seen differently from PED use, so it is still somewhat surprising that it seemed to ding him,
                Cheating on the field how though? I think the Astros situation is unique. Comparing it to pine tar or scuffing up balls seems to fall short.

Comment

Working...
                X