Breakout stars for 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakout stars for 2024

Every season has its surprise performances -- it's just a question of which players will be responsible for them. What's more, because "breakout" is a pretty flexible term, a lot of guys could conceivably have one, from top prospects to veterans who've yet to find their footing between injuries and

I may have pulled an oblique laughing at this article. OMG YOU GUYS, Bryson Stott & Nolan Jones could break out this year!

To be fair, the blurb written by Harding on Jones does begin by acknowledging that Jones already had his breakout season, and suggests he will take things to a new level in 2024.

Comment

According to that article, Juan Soto could have a breakout season as well lol.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

This reminds me, I have to start keeping an eye out for any 2024 fantasy baseball content written in the ancient hand-held format of paper. Also known as a magazine. I think Lindy's and NBC are the only two left.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Let's just start our own name replacement.

I'll swap out Nolan Jones in Colorado with Victor Vodnik having a breakout season in the Rockies bullpen this season and possibly even leading the team in saves.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            Let's just start our own name replacement.

I'll swap out Nolan Jones in Colorado with Victor Vodnik having a breakout season in the Rockies bullpen this season and possibly even leading the team in saves.
            The Rockies closer job may be the most unstable job in all of baseball. So, there is definitely an opportunity there.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I would add Edward Olivares as a breakout candidate for the Pirates.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Rangers are World Champions partly because of their next-man-up mentality. Five of their six All-Star players spent time on IL.

Assuming Evan Carter is off-limits, I'll throw out three names--Ezequiel Duran, Wyatt Langford, and Jack Lieter.
                • Marcus Semien is a stud at 2B but Duran could step in if there is a long-term injury. He could also play 3B and spot at SS.
                • The team has no established DH. Wyatt has speed but is not a good defensive player anywhere. Spotting at 1B, 3B, and both corner OF about half the time and DH the other half would get him the needed AB. No one is denying his hitting prowess.
                • Lieter is currently the best of three AAA SP who could make some noise in 2024. The article's candidate, Own White, is one of the other two.
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The Marlins writer chose an interesting one, Anthony Bender. Personally I doubt he gets many save chances.

My Marlins breakout pick is easily Edward Cabrera. Apply the rookie learning curve to him, he limits the walks, he could have a very good season.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    I would add Edward Olivares as a breakout candidate for the Pirates.
                    That's an interesting one. Over the last two seasons, he's played 160 games:
                    .270/.322/.439
                    16 HRs
                    13 SBs
                    71 R
                    51 RBI

If he could do something like that as a late round flyer, that's a win

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      The Marlins writer chose an interesting one, Anthony Bender. Personally I doubt he gets many save chances.

My Marlins breakout pick is easily Edward Cabrera. Apply the rookie learning curve to him, he limits the walks, he could have a very good season.
                      Vidal Brujan has a chance to be the starter at shortstop. He might also hit at the top of the lineup. If these two things occur he could surprise.

Comment

Wait, 2024 will be Cabrera's 4th season to pitch in the bigs, and he lost rookie eligibility in 2022, how long does he get the rookie learning curve?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Wait, 2024 will be Cabrera's 4th season to pitch in the bigs, and he lost rookie eligibility in 2022, how long does he get the rookie learning curve?
                          I wasn't clear...last year was his first full season and he hopefully learned quite a bit that he can carry into 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post

Vidal Brujan has a chance to be the starter at shortstop. He might also hit at the top of the lineup. If these two things occur he could surprise.
                            It would be so Tampa Bay for Brujan to leave the team and finally learn how to hit when the team has a giant hole at SS now. Brujan has looked woefully overmatched at the plate as a big leaguer.

Comment

I wasn't clear...last year was his first full season and he hopefully learned quite a bit that he can carry into 2024.
                              He is someone I like for his upside too. He is one of those "if only" guys. If only he improves his command, he could be a top 30 SP. He is the kind of guy I like to target late on the cheap, but my league is full of dreamers, so most often, I have to give up on my dream of owning guys like this cheap. Instead, I end up with reliable, high floor guys below their value, because guys like Cabrera got bid up. It's not as fun, but you gotta go where the value is.

Comment

Working...
                              X