Strategy Question About Market Inefficiencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy Question About Market Inefficiencies

If you were in a league where you believed a position, or more specifically, the top tier of a position, was being consistently undervalued, would you shift your keeper and extension decisions to match the going rate of that position, or would you stay closer to your own valuations of player worth when making keeper and extension decisions?

That is the broader, general question. The more specific question in my case is this: I am in a points league where the scoring system is such that very elite closers like Edwin Diaz and Felix Bautista are top 10 pitchers in points scored (same points for saves as wins, and 2 pts per K). It is a weekly line up league, though, so SP depth has a big advantage, because two start pitchers can really tip the scales. That fact, coupled with the volatile nature of closers, and the fact that we award half points for holds, which raises the floor on the position quite a bit, means that closers are rightly valued significantly less than starters who score the same amount of points. But by my estimation, my league goes too far in devaluing elite closers specifically. It is a points league, and points are points. Even accounting for the advantages of rotating in two starts into our flex pitching spots, the elite closers go (the small handful that are relatively safe and K a lot of batters), in my estimation, about 50% less than they should ( I should note that we have to RP slots and two flex spots, so we can start up to 4 closers).

Given the facts above, if you had, say, a $10 Devin Williams due an extension, would you extend him to $15, because you think he will earn at least $30, even though you know he would only go for $20 in your open auction? I realize the two examples I use, Diaz and Bautista (I have all three on my team--Diaz, Bautista, and Williams), are evidence to not extend, since both got hurt, but the same is true for all pitchers, and because this is a points league where top pitchers score as much as top hitters, it is still common practice to extend elite SPs. I understand being more cautious with closers in general, but I see the auction prices of elite closers as a clear market inefficiency, which I have exploited with very good success over the years.

This year, I am faced with the Devin Williams decision above. He is a top 2-3 reliever in my league, as safe as a closer can come, and a strong value by my value calculations. If players like him went for the prices I think they should go for, to me, he is a no brainer extension to $15. But since my league undervalues elite closers (I only think the undervaluation is at the top), does it make more sense to make my extension decision based on market prices rather than my valuations? Likewise, would you choose to keep a mid-tier SP like Zac Eflin over Williams, based on league values, even if your values have Williams worth several dollars more than the midtier starter?

I realize the answer is likely to go with the market, and I usually do, but I always worry the league will catch on to this inefficiency, and realize my success is due in part to exploiting it, but they have not done so yet. Still, the pull to keep a player who will outscore another one by a large margin in a points league is very strong for me. I am torn between going with the flow of how the league values SPs vs RPs and my strong inclination to trust my values and keep and extend elite closers like Diaz and Williams over SPs they will outscore (even though those SPs will go for more money in the auction than the elite closers).
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-10-2023, 10:56 AM.

Cheap uninjured top closers should get a year unless I know I could get them for the same price as the extended version. Then I throw them back and get the extra year.

Slightly below going rate injured closers should not get a raise and get tossed back in. Especially in the scenario that you mentioned. If they won't pay full price for healthy ones I have to imagine I could get a real bargain and new contract for a broken one. One that I could park and fill in with a middle reliever. I fully intend to do that with my $5 Bautista. I think my success on him will be heavily influenced by when he is brought out.

Our league does understand the value of top closers and are willing to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      If you were in a league where you believed a position, or more specifically, the top tier of a position, was being consistently undervalued, would you shift your keeper and extension decisions to match the going rate of that position, or would you stay closer to your own valuations of player worth when making keeper and extension decisions?

That is the broader, general question. The more specific question in my case is this: I am in a points league where the scoring system is such that very elite closers like Edwin Diaz and Felix Bautista are top 10 pitchers in points scored (same points for saves as wins, and 2 pts per K). It is a weekly line up league, though, so SP depth has a big advantage, because two start pitchers can really tip the scales. That fact, coupled with the volatile nature of closers, and the fact that we award half points for holds, which raises the floor on the position quite a bit, means that closers are rightly valued significantly less than starters who score the same amount of points. But by my estimation, my league goes too far in devaluing elite closers specifically. It is a points league, and points are points. Even accounting for the advantages of rotating in two starts into our flex pitching spots, the elite closers go (the small handful that are relatively safe and K a lot of batters), in my estimation, about 50% less than they should ( I should note that we have to RP slots and two flex spots, so we can start up to 4 closers).

Given the facts above, if you had, say, a $10 Devin Williams due an extension, would you extend him to $15, because you think he will earn at least $30, even though you know he would only go for $20 in your open auction? I realize the two examples I use, Diaz and Bautista (I have all three on my team--Diaz, Bautista, and Williams), are evidence to not extend, since both got hurt, but the same is true for all pitchers, and because this is a points league where top pitchers score as much as top hitters, it is still common practice to extend elite SPs. I understand being more cautious with closers in general, but I see the auction prices of elite closers as a clear market inefficiency, which I have exploited with very good success over the years.

This year, I am faced with the Devin Williams decision above. He is a top 2-3 reliever in my league, as safe as a closer can come, and a strong value by my value calculations. If players like him went for the prices I think they should go for, to me, he is a no brainer extension to $15. But since my league undervalues elite closers (I only think the undervaluation is at the top), does it make more sense to make my extension decision based on market prices rather than my valuations? Likewise, would you choose to keep a mid-tier SP like Zac Eflin over Williams, based on league values, even if your values have Williams worth several dollars more than the midtier starter?

I realize the answer is likely to go with the market, and I usually do, but I always worry the league will catch on to this inefficiency, and realize my success is due in part to exploiting it, but they have not done so yet. Still, the pull to keep a player who will outscore another one by a large margin in a points league is very strong for me. I am torn between going with the flow of how the league values SPs vs RPs and my strong inclination to trust my values and keep and extend elite closers like Diaz and Williams over SPs they will outscore (even though those SPs will go for more money in the auction than the elite closers).
      I think you have to adjust thinking based on league tendencies. However, I would not risk too much value assuming the league won't adjust/make you pay. Don't get too greedy, lock in gains while also considering risk. Closers in general have a lot of volatility, and are not great keepers in many leagues, yours sounds like closers are higher value.....hmmm, that was probably a lot of not very helpful words. I will look at your specific potential keepers when I have a chance
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I kind of agree with Feral...it greatly depends on who you are tossing back in order to get the $5ish discount on Devin Williams. That said, in a vacuum I would probably toss him back and rebuy at auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          I kind of agree with Feral...it greatly depends on who you are tossing back in order to get the $5ish discount on Devin Williams. That said, in a vacuum I would probably toss him back and rebuy at auction.
          If it is truly a 5 dollar discount, the better option is probably to throw him back and avoid risk of long terming him If there is a hitter that can be kept under value might make sense to keep him and buy Williams at auction
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The question is really more of a philosophical question than a baseball/fantasy question.

It boils down to "will the rest of my league wisen up and figure out they are undervaluing closers"?

If they don't, then the right play is a combination of throwing him back/rebuying at a still cheap price, and also buying the next Devin Williams for another cheap deal.

If they do, then extensions might make sense (although as short as possible given the volatile nature).'

Given our inability to read the room of your league, I have no idea what the correct answer is here. But given that you are posting here and that you also have already figured this out, I suspect you are more adept than the rest of your league at finding the *next* keeper. Part of the decision to keep a keeper is that you don't think you can find a better deal at the auction. In the majority of cases I would bet on myself finding another good player next year and avoid extensions. And that would be my rec for you too in general.

Comment

Working...
            X