2K24 - Wyatt Langford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K24 - Wyatt Langford

Paul and Justin had a podcast about players with zero MLB at bats, who are being drafted. The Jacksons, Chourio and Holliday, Langford, and Paul Skenes were the headliners, all being taken top 300.
    Paul and Justin discuss Luis Severino to the Mets and Jackson Chourio to the Brewers and then discuss the concept of drafting zero experience rookies in leagues…

I want to look at the one with the highest ADP. Wyatt Langford is 22 and has destroyed MiLB pitching at all levels. His Draft Champions ADP is mid-130s. On the other hand, he is trying to break into the lineup of the World Champions. He's a fair defender and the three guys in front of him are much better. Langford should be the best-balanced offensive player of the four.

What is your take on when he reaches MLB?
    Is the ADP reasonable" Paul was saying it was about a round high.
    About keeper value, how much does the future potential add?
    Is there anything else worth mentioning?

I ask because I own his farm rights and our winter meetings are in less than two weeks.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

The Rangers have no reason to start Wyatt Langford's arbitration clock early. Texas promoted Josh Jung in September 2022. Texas promoted Evan Carter in September 2023. I think they will continue the pattern with Wyatt Langford in September 2024.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      The Rangers have no reason to start Wyatt Langford's arbitration clock early. Texas promoted Josh Jung in September 2022. Texas promoted Evan Carter in September 2023. I think they will continue the pattern with Wyatt Langford in September 2024.
      While there is a point there, neither of those two torched minor-league pitching like Langford did. The dude was drafted and still did four levels. I can understand him not coming north with the team but surely he is one injury or slump away. Besides, they need a bat at DH.
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Those are not good comparisons.

Before this year, Evan Carter was a 19 year old who had 6 games above A ball. The fact that he came up in September was early not late. There was never a suggestion he should be on the team opening day. Not a comp for Langford.

Jung is a better comp, but your description of his situation is incomplete. The Rangers never played arb games with him. He was going to be the Rangers' opening day 3b in 2022 but he tore his labrum in his shoulder.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the opposite of what you posted above is true - I can't remember the Rangers ever playing the arb game holding a guy back. They started a 20yo Elvis Andrus in mlb opening day, skipping AAA. They started Nomar Mazara as a 20 year old opening day. I can't think of any player they have delayed, maybe my memory is getting to me.

The Rangers are in their window of contention, if Langford is one of their best 9 options, he'll play. He may get a few tune up games in AAA, but he'll be up the majority of the season. Unless he's injured I'd make a very large wager that he's up well before September. They aren't the type to play games.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          He's a fair defender and the three guys in front of him are much better.
          The scouting reports from the draft had some concern about his defense, primarily when comparing him to Crews who was seen as a true CF.

As a corner outfielder I've heard that Langford has looked above average since he's in the minors. Remember he's a former catcher who transitioned to the OF, so it should be expected that he's still improving in the outfield. While the other 3 are above average defenders I'm not sure Langford is too far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Those are not good comparisons.

Before this year, Evan Carter was a 19 year old who had 6 games above A ball. The fact that he came up in September was early not late. There was never a suggestion he should be on the team opening day. Not a comp for Langford.

Jung is a better comp, but your description of his situation is incomplete. The Rangers never played arb games with him. He was going to be the Rangers' opening day 3b in 2022 but he tore his labrum in his shoulder.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the opposite of what you posted above is true - I can't remember the Rangers ever playing the arb game holding a guy back. They started a 20yo Elvis Andrus in mlb opening day, skipping AAA. They started Nomar Mazara as a 20 year old opening day. I can't think of any player they have delayed, maybe my memory is getting to me.

The Rangers are in their window of contention, if Langford is one of their best 9 options, he'll play. He may get a few tune up games in AAA, but he'll be up the majority of the season. Unless he's injured I'd make a very large wager that he's up well before September. They aren't the type to play games.
            I keep forgetting that large market teams don't have to worry about arbitration clocks. That must be nice.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I keep forgetting that large market teams don't have to worry about arbitration clocks. That must be nice.
              Is it the market size that does that? The poster child a few years back was Kris Bryant in Chicago.

I think it's more about greedy owners who don't want to spend any money that cause the arb games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Is it the market size that does that? The poster child a few years back was Kris Bryant in Chicago.

I think it's more about greedy owners who don't want to spend any money that cause the arb games.
                The Rangers have shown a willingness to pay for results. Obvious examples are Seager and Semian, but they also paid for Yu Darvish.

It has not worked out as well as it did in 2023, but the willingness to spend is there.
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

From Rotoworld:

During an interview with MLB Network this week, Rangers manager Bruce Bochy said top prospect Wyatt Langford will have a chance to make the Opening Day roster.

Bochy added that Langford, who was selected fourth overall in the 2023 MLB Draft, will enter spring training with a chance to compete for a spot on the defending World Series champions season-opening roster. The 22-year-old top prospect wrapped up this past season with a five-game stint at Triple-A Round Rock after tearing the cover off the ball at three lower rungs in Texas’ minor league system. It’s possible he’ll require some additional seasoning in the upper minors, but there’s a chance he’s starting alongside Adolis García and Evan Carter when the Rangers take the field on Opening Day. Langford’s prospect pedigree and raw talent figure to generate enough helium that he’ll wind up next spring as a mid-round selection in fantasy drafts.​

Comment

Just listened to a podcast about ADP fallers. Langford has settled back to # 158 from # 138.
                    https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/the-sleeper-and-the-bust-episode-1233-drafting-zero-experience-rookies/
                    https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/the-sleeper-and-the-bust-episode-1236-biggest-draft-fallers-since-october/

The question presented was whether this was reasonable if WL was assured a ML roster spot. Answer--No.

If WL is a lock look to be on the 25-man roster, then around # 100 with the possibility of going higher. His 160-ish ranking is a product of uncertainty.
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I am seeing Langford projected as an opening-day starter. Is there any support for this?
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

How does Texas make room for all of Adolis, Taveras (out of options), Carter, Langford, and Duran?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          How does Texas make room for all of Adolis, Taveras (out of options), Carter, Langford, and Duran?
                          Most likely Duran out as DH.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post

That would make sense. EZ can get enough AB playing supersub for all the IF spots and Langford is already a better hitter.

On a side note, did we undersell the Ranger defense? There are no holes.
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post

Agree he hasnt been their DH for a while, look at usage (or lack) in the playoffs. Travis Jankowski got more playing time than Duran.

Duran is seen as a supersub who will play everywhere. He's not a primary DH though in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X