2K24: Brandon Marsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K24: Brandon Marsh

I don't get it. Marsh is a 25-year-old, slightly post-hype player who graded out in the top 150 (# 147), improved in the 2nd half (strikeouts down, walks and power up), plays superior defense, and killed it in the postseason.

Why are the early mock drafts treating him like a late-round flier? Granted there are no serious drafts yet but NFC has 17 drafts and the earliest he was taken is 317.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

What’s the upside? I suspect he will rise up draft boards but not a guy I’d be targetting personally he just doesn’t do much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      What’s the upside? I suspect he will rise up draft boards but not a guy I’d be targetting personally he just doesn’t do much.
      Ignore the upside for a moment. He's a defensive asset so he plays. This year his 5x5 stats are mid- 200s, so I see your point. Even if he advances to the late 100s he's not exciting.

Why isn't he going in the low to mid 200s? He's young enough and toolsy enough to have a breakthrough and his postseason line is impressive--.342/.405/.526 in 42 PA. Lars Nootbar who is older and has worse stats is going over 100 picks higher.
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

My thought is platooon concerns maybe? But I don't think he ends up in a platoon next year. Harper is going to play first and shwarber will DH. That leaves 2 OF spots open, and I don't think Rojas starts the season in MLB. I think Marsh is your starting CF, and moves to left if Rojas proves he can hit in the majors.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          My thought is platooon concerns maybe? But I don't think he ends up in a platoon next year. Harper is going to play first and shwarber will DH. That leaves 2 OF spots open, and I don't think Rojas starts the season in MLB. I think Marsh is your starting CF, and moves to left if Rojas proves he can hit in the majors.
          I agree. He's a full-time player and may move to the top of the lineup if he maintains his plate discipline.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            I agree. He's a full-time player and may move to the top of the lineup if he maintains his plate discipline.
            I don't know about moving him up. I would think Stott is more in line to move up in the order. If they get away from Shwarber leading off, it would probably be something like:
            Turner
            Stott
            Harper
            JT
            Shwarber
            Costelanos

Bohm/New LF/Marsh

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

He looks like a future platoon player and late inning defensive replacement.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post

I don't know about moving him up. I would think Stott is more in line to move up in the order. If they get away from Shwarber leading off, it would probably be something like:
                Turner
                Stott
                Harper
                JT
                Shwarber
                Costelanos

Bohm/New LF/Marsh
                Why wouldn't he bump Stott? Marsh is a better hitter and is no slouch on the basepaths.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  Why wouldn't he bump Stott? Marsh is a better hitter and is no slouch on the basepaths.
                  I don’t agree with “much better”. They seem pretty similar with marsh having a better contact skill and Stott slightly more power and a lot more speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    I don’t agree with “much better”. They seem pretty similar with marsh having a better contact skill and Stott slightly more power and a lot more speed.
                    I didn't say much better, though you can make the case against RHP. Stott is more of a base stealer but Marsh is faster. Saying Stott has more power is also off.

Marsh is toolsy, hits very well with runners on, and he's an excellent baserunner. His natural position is in front of power, not behind it. Madducks comment about the platoon split has more teeth. Marsh's defense will play but he could drop back in the lineup vs LHP.
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Can't hit lefties, has middling power & middling speed. Good OBP, but he hadn't shown that skillset before. His ceiling appears to be this past season. I'd take Stott who has better power & much better speed and plays a premium position over him any day of the week. An ADP of ~300 seems about right IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Can't hit lefties, has middling power & middling speed. Good OBP, but he hadn't shown that skillset before. His ceiling appears to be this past season. I'd take Stott who has better power & much better speed and plays a premium position over him any day of the week. An ADP of ~300 seems about right IMO.
                        You are not the first person to say it, but I am not completely buying it. To me, it looks like he is a toolsy guy who still figuring it out.

In any event, he's only 26 next season. I would pay for what he did this season and that's 100 picks above where he's going.
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

He is young, has improved greatly each year, has speed [but not a burner], defensive plus, has a very quick bat, doesn't strike out chasing bad pitches, and, first and foremost, is one of the best clutch hitters on the team. He will start virtually every game, either at CF or LF. I contend he hasn't even approached his ceiling yet. With he and Bohm 6-7 in batting order, they do a lot of damage. He has yet to hit lefties all that well, but, again, has improved. His power is maybe 20-25 HR's, but a lot of doubles. I'll take that package any day if someone devalues him. He is a joy to watch every day.
                          scottw
                          Bearin' up!

Comment

Bohm is another interesting one. His early ADP is 150-ish. He's a 1B-3B dual position, high BA, with 20 HR power.
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                            X