Batters Who Have Hurt their 2024 Draft Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batters Who Have Hurt their 2024 Draft Stock

Juan Soto - having a similar year to last season, which is nice, but it ain't legendary. Is he still a 1st rounder? I'm not sure.
    Trea Turner - he's bounced back from a miserable 1st half, but that .307 OBP is killer. Probably slides to late rd 2 or early rd 3, which is a huge drop for a player going 1st overall
    Vlad Guerrero Jr. - His numbers just don't match the cost
    Bryce Harper - solid season, but just 13 HRs. Would you risk a 1st rd pick on him now?
    Xander Bogaerts - pedestrian season (.260/.332/.395, 15 HRs, 45 RBIs). Probably falls to double digit rounds.
    Mike Trout - how many years in a row can we say "if he stays healthy...." and he never does?
    Ty France - .256, 10 HRs, 51 RBIs, meh
    Jeff McNeil - no power, no speed, and now no BA
    Byron Buxton - the "potential" seems to be slipping away
    Starling Marte - had a great skill set in the non-SB boom era. Now he's dime-a-dozen
    Javier Baez - .264 OBP with 8 HRs. That's borderline undraftable.
    Carlos Correa - .226/.309/.398. Three teams wanted to pay through the nose for this?
    Jazz Chisholm - oft-injured with a .297 OBP. Still has a great skill set, but I'm not paying a 2nd rd price for this.
    Jose Abreu - shocking all around terrible campaign for the former MVP
    Anthony Rizzo - was it the concussion, or Father Time?
    Giancarlo Stanton - oft injured, old, low BA/OBP, and the power has gone from legendary to middling
    CJ Cron - sub .300 OBP, he's plummeted down the 1B ladder
    Rowdy Tellez - see CJ Cron above
    Tim Anderson - former BA champ seemed like a lock for a .300 BA. 1 HR, .244 BA, .287 OBP. Probably undraftable in shallow leagues.
    Kris Bryant - oft-injured and his power seems to be slipping away
    Alejandro Kirk - what the hell happened here? Can't hit, can't field, likely can't be drafted.
    Yoan Moncada - that 2019 season is wayyy in the rear-view mirror
    Tyler O'Neill - another injury-racked year. Probably a late rd flier now.
    Trevor Story - give him a pass this year? How much of one?

Underwhelming Rookies
    Jordan Walker - for a player who was the pre-season darling, he's done very little this year
    Brett Baty
    Jordan Westburg - Baltimore is loaded with prospects, he could get squeezed next year if he performs like this
    Oscar Colas - .225/.265/.306 doesn't match the pre-season hype
    Bo Naylor
    Casey Schmitt - under the Mendoza line
    Christian Encarnacion-Strand - 34% K rate
    Oswald Peraza - .153 BA in 72 ABs
    Mark Vientos - .185/.226/.274 in 124 ABs

Homer take coming...

Harper has been playing 6 months removed from TJ surgery. What he's done this year for the phillies is crazy. He's been killing the ball for the last month, hitting 8 of his 13 HRs this month. It may just be a hot steak, or bad opponents, but he finally is looking comfortable again. I will knock his draft position for injury potential, but if he's hurt his draft stock this year it has been because he's doing whatever he can to help the team.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Ever since Jazz got on the cover of the show he has been swinging out of his shoes: every. single. time. I honestly think that cover went right to his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        Ever since Jazz got on the cover of the show he has been swinging out of his shoes: every. single. time. I honestly think that cover went right to his head.
        I see that commercial with him and Jeter 10x a day on the MLB package, lol

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

I see that commercial with him and Jeter 10x a day on the MLB package, lol
          Yep. If I hear “legends line” one more time…

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Homer take coming...

Harper has been playing 6 months removed from TJ surgery. What he's done this year for the phillies is crazy. He's been killing the ball for the last month, hitting 8 of his 13 HRs this month. It may just be a hot steak, or bad opponents, but he finally is looking comfortable again. I will knock his draft position for injury potential, but if he's hurt his draft stock this year it has been because he's doing whatever he can to help the team.
            You beat me to it. I was going to say that Harper has recently been hitting his way back to a respectable season. Enough so that I am now seriously considering keeping him over the ever inconsistent Jesus Luzardo.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

You beat me to it. I was going to say that Harper has recently been hitting his way back to a respectable season. Enough so that I am now seriously considering keeping him over the ever inconsistent Jesus Luzardo.
              Another HR last night.

Comment

Yeah I don't think Harper has hurt his stock at all. But agree with the rest of your list.

Xander has been particularly awful. Bryan is barely rosterable in shallow leagues at this point.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Harper with his 300th of his career and15 for the season today

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Yeah I don't think Harper has hurt his stock at all. But agree with the rest of your list.

Xander has been particularly awful. Bryan is barely rosterable in shallow leagues at this point.
                    I disagree on Harper. I don't think he will be a 1st rd player next season, but I guess we'll see.

As far as Buxton, here's an interesting stat -- he's played in over 100 games ONCE in his 9-year career.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

I disagree on Harper. I don't think he will be a 1st rd player next season, but I guess we'll see.
                      I guess that's my disconnect with your post. I got harper for mid round money in both my auctions and around a 10th round pick in my one draft this year. He may not go in the first, but I think he's building back to a high pick with this late season showing. He's season is improving his draft status now.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post

I guess that's my disconnect with your post. I got harper for mid round money in both my auctions and around a 10th round pick in my one draft this year. He may not go in the first, but I think he's building back to a high pick with this late season showing. He's season is improving his draft status now.
                        Yeah, but you got him at mid-round money because he was expected to miss 10-12 weeks to start the year. If not for that, he was, as he typically is, a 1st rd pick.

Comment

What's the take on Andres Giminez and Willy Adames?

Both were top 100 ADP and neither has performed in the top 200, possibly not the top 300.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                          X