Deep Dynasty Breakouts 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Dynasty Breakouts 2023

It's been a fun year churning and burning prospects in dynasty. I've landed some great breakout guys, and just missed on a few others.

Carlos De La Cruz - OF - PHI - 23 in AA - I have a thing for giant dudes that keep moderate K rates. He's 6'8, 210 lbs, hitting .286/.358/.497 with 18 HR in 84 games. Fangraphs shows him with 70/80 raw, and 30/35 hit, but with how well he's hit and kept a 25.7% K, 7.6% BB, I think the hit tool could get to 40-50, and the 80 raw could keep his BB rate high.

Cristofer Torin - SS - ARZ - 18 in A - Started 2023 with an interesting profile. K/BB was incredible last year (9.9% K, 18.3% BB), hitting .899 OPS with 153 wRC+, despite zero HR in 50 games in the DSL. This year, started in Complex league and continued to show an elite eye with 7.1% K, 16.7% BB, and a .864 OPS, 122 wRC+, and 2 HR in 26 games. Fangraphs lists him with a 70 hit tool ceiling. The issue is lower power and supposedly lower speed, though he does have a ton of SB (37 SB, 6 CS in 79 career games). The hit tool and plate skills give him an immediate floor as a super util, but upside for more. Moved up to full season A ball to make room for new draftees. Impressive to jump to full season ball at 18.

Jeter Martinez - SP - SEA - 17 in DSL - I sometimes watchlist guys too long. I heard very good things about this weirdly unforgettable baseball name a few weeks ago. Despite his worst game of the year last week, his only relief appearance, (3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 6 K), I picked him up for $0, and he rewarded me with a huge game: 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K. For the year, 33.1 IP, 9 H, 14 BB, 44 K, good for a 1.08 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, with batters hitting .084 against and 35.5% K rate. I like his chances to stick as a starter (6'4 at 17, and 4.5 IP/GS already). Seattle seems like a great pitching development and home park organization, so he's a good dart throw for now.

I'll add more later. These certainly aren't the biggest breakout names, but they're unowned in all but the deepest of leagues. Ryan Clifford OF HOU and Chase Hampton SP NYY are some bigger risers that I just missed out on, and could enter top 100 status by the offseason, off the top of my head.

Anybody else find any diamonds in the rough?

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."
Working...
X