AL Auction - Las Vegas depravity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Auction - Las Vegas depravity

AL 4X4 $260, 28th season (excluding that miserable anomaly known as 2020)
    Draft: Mandalay Bay Sports Book, LV (our 23rd draft at the MBSB)
    Last season: I wrestled back the league trophy after a 2 season hiatus. She’ll be staying with me for the 8th time since 1999. The pitching staff was outstanding, garnering 34pts of possible 40.

Returning team was very solid, but lopsided towards a dominant (and cheap) pitching staff. An hour before roster freeze, I traded L Garcia (10) and B Singer (7) for an already dinged up T Glasnow (3), in order to gain a few dollars and some flexibility. With 7 Ps locked up for $56, I intended to spend no more than $60 total on pitching. Heading to the draft with a plan to spend $200 on offense, I was pretty sure I could put a strong lineup together, as there were an unusual amount of solid hitters available. I was already returning JRam, and fully intended to get one of Judge/Yordan/Trout. I released Trout at $37, which was close to what I had him valued at, so the intent was to take a crack at Judge first and fall back on the others. I had a pretty solid plan in place for another 3-4 impact bats, but alas, the best laid plans of mice and men…

Draft results (keepers in bold):

C Bethancourt 2
    C OHoppe 2
    1B Miranda 10
    3B Ramirez 39

CI J Peterson 1
    2B Semien 26
    SS Franco 15
    MI Rosario 6

DH B Lowe 9
    OF Alvarez 39
    OF Vaughn 16
    OF Renfroe 17
    OF Colas 9
    OF Bader 3
    P McClanahan 12
    P Severino 7
    P Javier 2
    P Glasnow 3

P H Brown 9
    P Maeda 1
    P J Duran 10
    P Holmes 10
    P Bautista 10

I topped out at 44 for Judge, he went 45. I topped out at 37 for Trout, he went 38. I had to go an extra dollar on Alvarez, but was not getting shut out. Minor regrets at not going a little extra on Judge, but at that point still had a plan in place. Things started going haywire shortly thereafter. I had planned on passing on MIs until late in the draft at dollar days, but landed Semien for $26 unexpectedly. After this, all of my $25ish targets exceeded my limits by a dollar or two (Varsho 29/Eloy 30/Robert 28/Springer 31/Teoscar 26) and I let Buxton get away for $25 (IMO, with M Taylor there, he’ll play most games at DH, and could be an offensive monster this year, that one feels like a mistake on my part). Raf Devers went for an absurd $39 thereafter.

My plans were virtually shot at this point, so I had to scoop up some lesser tier targets (Vaughn/Renfroe) and somehow B Lowe fell into my lap for $9, dashing my plan of getting Massey in dollar days. I had earmarked $8 for both Bethancourt & Ohoppe, so was pleased to get them for $4. Colas was a definite target and at the time he went in the draft, $9 was very pricey, but I like him to make a run at ROY. I was last man out on G Henderson (22) and Volpe (20) as well. H Brown was someone that I thought I could slip through for cheap at the end of the draft, but I unexpectedly got into a bidding war with one of the few GMs that still had money to spend. Maeda and Bader seem like nice cheap dart throws. Peterson was the very last CI pick in the draft, and seems like a pretty unexciting 10/10 guy.

Overall, a strange draft that did not go (exactly) as planned, but I still managed to pick up several targeted players. My annual Quick and Dirty Post Draft Analysis has me finishing on top with the No 1 staff and No 2 lineup. I should note – the Q&DPDA has been deadly accurate at predicting 3 of the top 4 finishers most years, but not necessarily in the final order.

This was our first draft in LV since COVID, with a group that comes in from all over the country. The draft started on Friday at noon, and went a record 7 hours, drinks/shots/buckets of beer flowing freely the entire time. Such a great time, and I cant recommend strongly enough being out there for the Final Four weekend. Such a blast. Flew home Sunday evening, and took Monday off to give my liver and self a well deserved R&R day.
    Last edited by cool hand; 04-03-2023, 11:11 PM.
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Congrats on a successful auction. Way to adjust.

Comment

Working...
    X