Five relievers and can only start four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five relievers and can only start four

RP 1: Hader $29 (too much I know - but $300 budget with high inflation)

RPs 2-5:

Kimbrel $6
    Puk $5
    Fullmer $1
    Chapman $1

I called out Chapman late in my auction and expected others to go after him but....crickets and now he's taking up one of my four bench spots. My first thought is to drop him because I have other needs. The free agent pool is bountiful this time of year in our 11 team mixed 5x5 with 23 man rosters and only 4 bench spots. I could use another SP (Ashcraft is available) since I only have 6 right now. But, now I'm thinking Chapman could see some saves on this rebuilding Royals team to boost his trade deadline value. If he becomes a closer again he would make a good $1 keeper.

Kimbrel and Fullmer both look like they are going to be part of a closer committee to begin the season. I think they both could seize the jobs.

I like Puk the most out of this group because he seems to have the greatest potential for becoming an elite closer but Floro and Barnes look like they are both ahead of him for now.

Should I just get rid of Chapman or ride this out for awhile. My league mates would tell you that I have very little patience. They always look forward to picking up the players that I drop in April.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

I think your instincts are correct. Ashcraft is a much better investment than Chapman, no? Crickets for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
      I think your instincts are correct. Ashcraft is a much better investment than Chapman, no? Crickets for a reason.
      I ended up dropping Chapman for Ashcraft. Thanks Pauly.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I think this was the right move.

But I'm curious on Ashcraft on a few fronts:

1) Will he increase his K's? The15% K rate he showed last year is a streamer at best outside of the deepest of leagues, but he was >20% at every stop coming up. Is he going to improve? Or was he just feasting off bad hitters in the minors?

2) Can he bring down the WHIP? He'll need to have some better BABIP luck although it seems like he never has.

3) Will he be punished by pitching in CIN? It feels like we should start treating Reds pitchers almost like Rockies pitchers.

Comment

I'm hearing that Ashcraft changed the grip on his slider and it has improved a lot this spring. Plus his fastball has topped out at 100 mph. And he has only 2 walks in 17.1 innings this spring. So, he may not be the same pitcher that he was in the minors. He could be better...or worse. But, I'm encouraged by the early reports.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Chapman struck out the side yesterday while averaging 99.5 mph with his four-seamer.

And once again I have five relievers with one riding the bench. The closer carousel is making me dizzy already.

Hader
            Chapman
            Kimbrel
            Fulmer
            Puk

Dropped Kimbrel. He seems like a ticking time bomb.
            Last edited by madducks; 04-08-2023, 08:07 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X