Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Fantasy Sports

Anyone play DFS?

I know I brought this up awhile back, but since the search engine is busted, figured I'd bring it up again.

I used to be into it 10 yrs ago after I took down a 7,000-player MLB tourney in my first ever DFS game, but only played haphazardly until last year, when my son got into it. Now we're both big into it, and he won TWO 1,000+ player tourneys on back-to-back nights this weekend. I had my best DFS showing since my 2013 tourney win last night, but I still consider myself a pretty conservative player. I'll play $50-$100 a night in DFS, with cash games being 80% of that total.

I play NBA, PGA, UFC & Nascar DFS now, but am looking forward to playing MLB DFS again soon.

We've tried a few of the DFS optimizer services, and while I'd rather not pay the high costs associated with them, unless you're an MIT mathematician (which I am decidedly not), they're essential.

The one we've settled on as being the best is SaberSim, which costs a hefty $90/month, but it's been kind of worth the cost, especially this month (it wasn't last month, lol). I tried LineStar, which is much cheaper at $40/month, but they had this nasty quality of trying to please the masses by not giving anyone who asked their best lineups. In other words, if you use their optimizer and have it give you the top 5 highest scoring lineups, it would change it constantly for every customer, because in their exact words, "then everyone would get the same lineup." I mean, so what? If I'm paying you for your "highest scoring optimized lineups," I'd better get your "highest scoring optimized lineups," and not just crap thrown against the wall, which is what it seemed. I usually enter lineups in the afternoon because I don't want to forget about them before lock -- which I did a month ago, what a disaster -- and just want to refresh it in the event of players being in/out of the lineup, and realized they were just spitting out anything. Too bad, because their statistical data is top-notch IMO.

I tried Rotowire, but it wasn't for me.

My son loves We Want Picks, which is UFC only, but these guys know what they're talking about and it's just $10/month.

A leaguemate of mine, who once took down a $250k DFS tourney win, recommends FTN, and maybe I'll try that if SaberSim fails us.

Who else plays DFS? Would love to turn this into a discussion thread in-season.

I do. See my response in the other thread. We did have a mega-thread on the topic from many years ago on the boards, but I'd have no idea how to find it. I only play MLB and NFL (see my comments about NBA in the other thread). I don't follow any other sports (PGA, UFC, Nascar, soccer, etc.), so am not really interested in playing them - I want to have a vested interest, and like to watch what I'm playing. I played League of Legends for a while when my son was really into it and could give me guidance, but stopped several years ago. I'm almost strictly GPP - I tend to not like cash games. I'm not in it to make money - just sort of an enjoyable pastime. Although I've cashed out money from various sites when they went under (draftday, draftpot, draftstreet, fantasyaces, fantasydraft, monkeyknifefight, etc.). I used to join them when there was a bonus on FD or DK for doing so; I'd put in $10 or whatever the minimum was and usually grow it some (though draftstreet I cashed out about $1500). I used to play every available contest in MLB and NFL every day/night or weekend, but have curtailed it to only one or two per day/night or weekend. I have my own optimizer and if I'm in every contest it takes about 30 minutes just to set up the contests, run the optimizer, and edit the contests, every day, for MLB, and then I have to spot-check just before lineup lock, and I decided it was just too much time to spend on it every day. One contest takes me about 5 minutes...

"Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
      I do. See my response in the other thread. We did have a mega-thread on the topic from many years ago on the boards, but I'd have no idea how to find it. I only play MLB and NFL (see my comments about NBA in the other thread). I don't follow any other sports (PGA, UFC, Nascar, soccer, etc.), so am not really interested in playing them - I want to have a vested interest, and like to watch what I'm playing. I played League of Legends for a while when my son was really into it and could give me guidance, but stopped several years ago. I'm almost strictly GPP - I tend to not like cash games. I'm not in it to make money - just sort of an enjoyable pastime. Although I've cashed out money from various sites when they went under (draftday, draftpot, draftstreet, fantasyaces, fantasydraft, monkeyknifefight, etc.). I used to join them when there was a bonus on FD or DK for doing so; I'd put in $10 or whatever the minimum was and usually grow it some (though draftstreet I cashed out about $1500). I used to play every available contest in MLB and NFL every day/night or weekend, but have curtailed it to only one or two per day/night or weekend. I have my own optimizer and if I'm in every contest it takes about 30 minutes just to set up the contests, run the optimizer, and edit the contests, every day, for MLB, and then I have to spot-check just before lineup lock, and I decided it was just too much time to spend on it every day. One contest takes me about 5 minutes...
      Interesting. I would love to develop an optimizer, and I tried, but ultimately it didn't work out. Not sure the pay sites are fantastic, but my son won 3 tourneys in one week last week using SaberSim.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Interesting. I would love to develop an optimizer, and I tried, but ultimately it didn't work out. Not sure the pay sites are fantastic, but my son won 3 tourneys in one week last week using SaberSim.
        That's pretty good! I don't think I play enough (or big enough money) to justify it though. I do $5 double-your-money or 50-50 contests in MLB, and $25 in NFL (since it's just once per week). When I was doing every contest every day in MLB that did work out to $50 or so per day (doing both FD and DK), or a bit more than that each weekend for NFL, but as I said, I just got tired of the grind of that much time every day to do it. I need to dust off the code though to make sure it'll work for this year. It seems like every year one of the places I scrub data from (Fantasypros and Numberfire for projections, Baseballpress for lineups, and FD and DK themselves for the contest info) changes their format, so I have to fix it up in the code.

Maybe I'll post what my optimizer does and you (and Todd, and others) can poke holes in it. Again, it has a decent record (I don't lose money), but I'm sure it could be improved.
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Should we set up a Rotojunkie DFS league where we play once a week, can be for free, and we track weekly scores on a Google Sheet? I do this for Tout Wars (we have a side pot, we can do that or just keep it free)?
          Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
            Should we set up a Rotojunkie DFS league where we play once a week, can be for free, and we track weekly scores on a Google Sheet? I do this for Tout Wars (we have a side pot, we can do that or just keep it free)?
            I'm in!

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post

That's pretty good! I don't think I play enough (or big enough money) to justify it though. I do $5 double-your-money or 50-50 contests in MLB, and $25 in NFL (since it's just once per week). When I was doing every contest every day in MLB that did work out to $50 or so per day (doing both FD and DK), or a bit more than that each weekend for NFL, but as I said, I just got tired of the grind of that much time every day to do it. I need to dust off the code though to make sure it'll work for this year. It seems like every year one of the places I scrub data from (Fantasypros and Numberfire for projections, Baseballpress for lineups, and FD and DK themselves for the contest info) changes their format, so I have to fix it up in the code.

Maybe I'll post what my optimizer does and you (and Todd, and others) can poke holes in it. Again, it has a decent record (I don't lose money), but I'm sure it could be improved.
              Sure, I'd be happy to run through it.

I got crushed last night, as I had Harden in all my lineups and I was doing an auction at the same time, and didn't see -- nor get notified by Yahoo -- that he was out.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                I'm in.

Comment

Working...
                X