Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon View Post
    So Demel? Hernandez? Who would get first dibs?
    Hernandez is the likely candidate...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

how bout juan gutierrez who had 15 saves?

Comment

In my hybrid league (some AL teams, some NL teams) auction today, I bought Soria early but then depleted my funds enough that I couldn't buy an established second closer, so in the end game I collected McGee, Peralta, Farnsworth, and Uehara. Fingers crossed.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          In my hybrid league (some AL teams, some NL teams) auction today, I bought Soria early but then depleted my funds enough that I couldn't buy an established second closer, so in the end game I collected McGee, Peralta, Farnsworth, and Uehara. Fingers crossed.
          Saves is one category :shrug: The same team in my league has won two years in a row, one with no closer, and the second with 1 closer.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
            I think the Rangers would make a move to acquire a guy like Broxton or Frasor if they decide to keep Feliz in the rotation.
            How about a deal for Aardsma once he's healthy? Too expensive? Or Mike Gonzalez?

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
              How about a deal for Aardsma once he's healthy? Too expensive? Or Mike Gonzalez?
              Aardsma makes some sense for them on the surface, although after the Josh Lueke fiasco for Seattle and how they totally mishandled the situation, I doubt the M's and the Rangers will be making another deal anytime soon. And a flyball guy like Aardsma would probably have some trouble in Texas regardless.

I still think the Rangers would do well to go after Heath Bell. They could probably afford the decent prospect to acquire him, and he would lock down the end of their bullpen. It would seem they'd have the money to afford him, too, considering they missed out on the Cliff Lee sweepstakes.

Comment

Fat Frankie is OK - Dr Andrews says no structural damage in his shoulder

Dr. Andrews confirms #BlueJays diagnosis that Francisco does not have any structural damage. FF will begin throwin again on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Fat Frankie is OK - Dr Andrews says no structural damage in his shoulder

Dr. Andrews confirms #BlueJays diagnosis that Francisco does not have any structural damage. FF will begin throwin again on Sunday.
                  But starts the season on the DL. He no longer can be kept.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                    Saves is one category :shrug: The same team in my league has won two years in a row, one with no closer, and the second with 1 closer.
                    Our bench is part of the auction, so I don't have to play all these guys at once. I think I have a dominant enough offense to compete with only one closer if I have to, but it's never a good idea to assume such things at the start of the year.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Since Paul did not toot his own horn.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Lidge to the DL
                        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Lidge to the DL
                          So who will likely get the bulk of the Philly saves. Contreras or Madson?

Comment

The early indications are Madson, but I remember Charlie recently saying Contreras may get some saves.

Comment

I would bet on Contreras who was good in the role last time while Madson is clearly better suited to be a set up guy.
                              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I read this morning that Madson has changed his approach and may do better if he's given a chance in the 9th this time around (link). Last year I ended up with Madson and Contreras. I've already got Madson but I don't see where I can fit Contreras on my squad unless there's something more definitive about whether he'll get save opportunities over Madson. Of course, by then someone will have picked him up in my league. So it goes.

ETA: Contreras got snapped up while I was posting. So I'm officially hoping they give Madson another shot and he really does have his head on straight this time.
                                Last edited by no driver; 03-25-2011, 11:06 AM.
                                18 team mixed 4x4 draft league. Champion in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.

Comment

Working...
                                X