NL-Only Trade Offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-Only Trade Offer

In my local league (12 team keeper, 5x5 OBP, NL-only, $280 cap, 13 hitters, 10 pitchers and 2 UT slots…with 15 reserves and average inflation between 45-55% for hitters and 20-25% for pitchers). We get to keep 15 players at cost plus three minor leaguers that do not count against the salary cap. I believe I have a fairly solid keeper list and have a chance to improve it, at the cost of future value.

I've been offered an $18 Pete Alonso (final year) for my $1 Juan Yepez and my $8 Jordan Lawlar (who will not count against my auction budget until he passes 130 AB). My potential keepers are:

CI: Cron $26, Arenado $33, Baty $5,
    MI: Trea Turner $50, C.Taylor $11,
    OF: Acuna $22, Meneses $6, Nootbar $2, Juan Yepez $1, Trayce Thompson $3, S.Bouchard $2,
    UT: D.Vogelbach $8

SP: M. Fried $26, L.Webb $3, D.Smyly $1,
    RP: C.Doval $3, D.Floro $1, H.Harvey $3.

My non-keeper talent is P.Wisdom $14, K.Hiura $12, S.Hilliard $2, T.Naquin $6,

Finally, I have minor leaguer eligible players Jordan Lawlar, Ezequiel Tovar, Andrew Painter, and Ronny Mauricio, so I feel my team is in a good position to be competitive assuming I draft decently well to compliment the cheap but unproven hitting keepers. (Baty and Bouchard could be minor leaguers, but since they have major league experience I am leaning towards keeping them at cost to maximize the exempt young talent with upside/potential trade bait).

Recent history indicates I could trade Lawlar and Yepez for at least two $30+ proven hitters post-auction, as a few owners tend to dump early to get the best return. However, Alonso’s salary is particularly attractive, as we use an in-season cap of $290 + $10n (n = current week of the fantasy baseball season), so fitting Alonso into the lineup early is easier than if I traded for an expensive hitter.

Should I take this bird in the hand or wait to see what is in the bush? Alternately, is the opinion on Lawlar so high that it makes more sense to trade others on my roster and hold onto him for the future?

I look forward to seeing the opinions from the Pen. Thanks!
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

How did you acquire the $8 Lawlar? Is there a FYPD or rookie draft? Who would you end up replacing Lawlar with?

Comment

Do it quickly before he changes his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        How did you acquire the $8 Lawlar? Is there a FYPD or rookie draft? Who would you end up replacing Lawlar with?
        We have a 15 player reserve draft after the auction. First round is $8, then $7 picks, then $5 picks, then $2 picks. Best of the best prospects typically go in the $8 round.

Comment

He was my first reserve round pick last year. We used to pick minor leaguers in the sixth round or later but now the competition for elite prospects is more fierce so the best ones go early. Note that both he and Jordan Walker slipped further than they should have, last year.

I would put Baty or Bouchard into my third MLE slot (to go with Tovar and Painter), at no auction cost and making this the first contract year (so no extension decision due before the 2025 season).
          2021 Auction Anatomy
          2021 Keeper Decisions
          2020 Auction Anatomy
          2020 Pre-Auction
          2015 Auction Anatomy
          2014 Auction Anatomy
          2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
            Do it quickly before he changes his mind.
            Am I overthinking it? Is it definitely a no-brainer decision?

2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

you are getting the NL homerun leader for less than half his auction value. If you want to win the $$, you do the deal. but im not into hanging onto prospects until they are finally good. I usually trade them.

Comment

Trade completed. Thanks for the input and providing the clarity I needed.
                2021 Auction Anatomy
                2021 Keeper Decisions
                2020 Auction Anatomy
                2020 Pre-Auction
                2015 Auction Anatomy
                2014 Auction Anatomy
                2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                  Am I overthinking it? Is it definitely a no-brainer decision?
                  I feel you are overthinking it. Major stud player at a good cost. If your season turns south you can trade him as rental and recoup some of your cost in getting him now.

Comment

Nice trade.

I like power Mauricio has power. I would keep him if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post

We have a 15 player reserve draft after the auction. First round is $8, then $7 picks, then $5 picks, then $2 picks. Best of the best prospects typically go in the $8 round.
                      That makes those 1st round picks extremely valuable. I think the typical price is $15 right?

Comment

That makes those 1st round picks extremely valuable. I think the typical price is $15 right?
                        Yes. We used to use $15 for round 1, $10 for rounds 2-5, $5 for 6-10 and $2 for 11-15. We changed it when we went to an in-season salary cap because if you needed to use your early round picks for injury replacements you might not be able to fit them under the cap until a few weeks into the season.
                        2021 Auction Anatomy
                        2021 Keeper Decisions
                        2020 Auction Anatomy
                        2020 Pre-Auction
                        2015 Auction Anatomy
                        2014 Auction Anatomy
                        2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

We lowered our first round pick from 15 to 10 for this year's upcoming auction. I think it is going to have a dramatic effect on the reserve round.

Comment

Working...
                          X