No announcement yet.

Who is the best switch hitting RF ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the best switch hitting RF ever?

It came up in a discussion of the platoon breakdowns. Most are easy to reduce to a few names, with a lot of no brainers, eg 1B.

RHB
    C - Campenella/Bench
    1B - Jimmy Foxx
    2B - Hornsby
    3B - Schmidt
    SS - Honus/ARod/Jeter/Ripken
    LF - Rickey Henderson
    CF - Mays/ DiMaggio
    RF - Hank Aaron

LHB
    C - Cochrane/Yogi
    1B - Gehrig
    2B - Eddie Collins/Morgan
    3B - Brett/Boggs/Matthews
    SS - Arky Vaughn (seriously, it isnt close)
    LF - Bonds/Ted Williams
    CF - Cobb/Tris Speaker
    RF - Ruth

BB
    C - Simmons
    1B - Eddie Murray
    2B - Frisch/Alomar
    3B - Chipper
    SS - Ozzie
    LF - Raines
    CF - Mantle
    RF - ????

Off the top of my head, i could not think of one significant switch hitting RF.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Ruben Sierra, Ken Singleton, Bobby Bonilla or Reggie Smith. Not a great list.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Ruben Sierra, Ken Singleton, Bobby Bonilla or Reggie Smith. Not a great list.
      Would you take Berkman over any of them?

Comment

Jorge Posada was a switch, right? Would you take him over Simmons? I couldn't think of anyone else that might challenge your list.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
          Would you take Berkman over any of them?
          Sure, but Berkman has only played 373 of his 1758 career games in RF according to B-R.com, so I wouldn't consider him a right fielder for his discussion.

Comment

Your right. Really not that great a list. I think Singleton would be appreciated more today (.388OBP Lifetime) than when he played.

Comment

Sierra is the only one I came up with before I looked. I get him only because he played for the local team. Bobby Bones I should have, but I forgot he was AC/DC.

The fact that 1B immediately resolves into one name each, was interesting. Also, that almost all the good SS were RHH.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

My apologies if there was an old school 2B RHH Morgan you are referencing but HOF Joe batted left.

Comment

Originally posted by dannahann View Post
                  My apologies if there was an old school 2B RHH Morgan you are referencing but HOF Joe batted left.
                  My bad. Bats left, throws right. He and Collins make an intersting discussion.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    Sierra is the only one I came up with before I looked. I get him only because he played for the local team. Bobby Bones I should have, but I forgot he was AC/DC.

The fact that 1B immediately resolves into one name each, was interesting. Also, that almost all the good SS were RHH.

J
                    That doesn't surprise me. I am more surprised that there were so many 2B and 3B who batted left-handed. For fielding purposes, all 2B, SS, and 3B have to be naturally right-handed. I can understand the switch-hitters, but why hit exclusively from your non-natural side? I guess there are fewer LHH shortstops because it is the most demanding position fieldingwise and worrying about trying to get young SS's to hit from the other side isn't a priority.

Comment

I'll take Jimmy Rollin's bat over Ozzie.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        I'll take Jimmy Rollin's bat over Ozzie.
                        I'd take George Davis other either of them

Comment

Pete Rose played a lot of RF in his career (not well, official scorers covered for him a LOT at his various positions, but he played there). If you need a high OBP guy with very limited power and speed, he's your guy.
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                            Pete Rose played a lot of RF in his career (not well, official scorers covered for him a LOT at his various positions, but he played there). If you need a high OBP guy with very limited power and speed, he's your guy.
                            Rose was my first thought. Don't know your position requirements but Rose played 589 games in RF out of 3,500 total games. He played 1b, LF, 3b, and even 2b more often so he probably doesn't fit in RF for you.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              I'd take George Davis other either of them
                              Nah. Davis only had one great season as a shortstop -- even if it was his best season. Most of the years he spent as a SS were mediocre.

Comment

Working...
                              X