Michael Morse.....where to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Morse.....where to?

I didn't want to highjack the Adam Laroche thread, so what are your thoughts on Morse. The Nats are saying all the right things....we don't have to trade him...he still fits on our club...BUT, clearly he will be moved for the right offer. The interesting thing that came out is that he is strong;y opposed to becoming a DH. For those who remember when he came up in 2005 with Seattle he played mostly SS (55 games). The guys fielding % is good, though his range may not be. I can see why he doesn't want to be cast as a DH.

So of his AL suitors, who would be most willing to give him playing time in the field?
    Tampa---Left Field in place of the Guyer/Fuld platoon? But then what happens when it's time for Wil Myers?
    NYY --- The only way they could do it is to use the 'rotating DH' to give their regulars a break---Jeter, Youk, Tex.
    Seattle--- A return there makes some sense IF the M's have soured on Smoak, and are willing to let Montero catch the majority of the games and have Morales DH. But not unlike Tampa they would create a logjam if their prospect (Zunino) forces his way on the roster. Would they be willing to give him a shot at 3B? Hey if Miggy can do it....
    Balt---Chis Davis to DH?
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

The way the Nats talk about him as a 'middle of the order bat' he is not getting moved cheap. So you're probably talking an 8-9 reliever type and/or an A-level prospect. Would the Rays be willing to pay that kind of price? I'm thinking something like McGee and a prospect.

I don't think the Yankees have the talent to get him. It's going to take more than David Phelps or Adam Warren and they are lacking in prospects. Would they really move Mason Williams for him? David Robertson?

Comment

The biggest problem in moving Morse for a big payoff is the fact that he's in his walk year, so no team is going to break the bank for him. Middling prospect or a "B" level reliever is going to be about it, unless he's willing to negotiate a new deal with the new club. I suspect that he'll end up staying with the Nats unless they're desperate for a situational lefty and settle for less.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        The biggest problem in moving Morse for a big payoff is the fact that he's in his walk year, so no team is going to break the bank for him. Middling prospect or a "B" level reliever is going to be about it, unless he's willing to negotiate a new deal with the new club. I suspect that he'll end up staying with the Nats unless they're desperate for a situational lefty and settle for less.
        Being a 1-and-done guy makes him a good fit for the Yankees. I just don't know what they're going to pay for him. Morse is exactly what they need, a Swisher replacement on a 1-year deal.

Comment

While it isn't very likely that the Nats would be a good match to trade with the Braves, I'd happily give up Jordan Walden and a mid grade prospect for him.

Comment

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think that O'Flaherty would be a better match because the Nats lost all of their lefties. That being said, the Nats aren't going to trade within the division.
            Last edited by cavebird; 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot

Comment

Maybe their demand goes down if he starts to be a malcontent.

Comment

If he goes to NYY, the Yanks will trade Granderson. They have to pay Cano next year so Grandy is the odd man out. Gardner moves to CF, Morse plays left. Granderson goes for some youth.
                Morse said he doesn't want to DH and with Arod back in the summer, either him or Youk has to DH anyway.

Comment

Those of us holding Morse in NL-only leagues have to hope for a deal to SF. While I realize that is a big OF to cover, surely the champs aren't going to defend with the likes of Blanco in LF, are they? Didn't they fail to defend last time by sitting pat offensively?

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon1 View Post
                    Those of us holding Morse in NL-only leagues have to hope for a deal to SF. While I realize that is a big OF to cover, surely the champs aren't going to defend with the likes of Blanco in LF, are they? Didn't they fail to defend last time by sitting pat offensively?
                    As a Giants fan AND a Morse owner in a big-money NL-only league, I would be ecstatic if he ended up in SF. He'd be a perfect fit, especially if/when Belt gets inconsistent and there is a hole in the OF. However, sadly, I don't think it is very likely. It just doesn't feel like the Giants style to me. And do they have a left-handed reliever to spare? Affeldt for Morse? Sounds like a pretty fair deal to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X