Pirates 1st pick Rendon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates 1st pick Rendon?

I'm wondering what the probability is of the Pirates taking Rendon with the first pick in June. After loading up on pitching with Taillon, Allie and Heredia that may tilt them towards a bat. On the other hand, can't have too much pitching.....
    Last edited by harmon; 03-05-2011, 09:54 AM.

I say they keep loading up on pitching and go Purke or Cole. Allie might be a closer in the future and Heredia is super far away. They are moving the right direction and another SP continues that, IMO.

Comment

From a financial standpoint would it matter very much between Rendon Purke or Cole?

Comment

You don't draft for "need" in MLB, especially if you're taking high schoolers who will need at least five years in the minors. BPA and signability are the major factors in play.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          You don't draft for "need" in MLB, especially if you're taking high schoolers who will need at least five years in the minors. BPA and signability are the major factors in play.
          Given that the Pirates have been willing to spend recently, I doubt signability matters. Also, all of the top choices this year are college guys like Rendon, Purke and Cole. I would go with Rendon if he stays healthy until the draft, but I could see the logic in Purke or Cole.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            From a financial standpoint would it matter very much between Rendon Purke or Cole?
            That's no longer a major factor with the Pirates, they opened the checkbook big time with Allie in the 2nd round and then Heredia on the int'l market. As I've been saying for a while, this front office has them going on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              What is BPA? I'm blanking.

I don't drafting Cole or Purke is drafting for MLB need, it's an organizational need. I don't think they can really go wrong with Rendon-Cole-Purke, but I'd lean pitching. Prospects fail, so you can't just bank on three, all of whom are far away, and think you're golden. Allie is probably 50/50 as a starter or closer at this point. Taillon projects #1 stuff, but is far away and Heredia is very raw.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                Given that the Pirates have been willing to spend recently, I doubt signability matters. Also, all of the top choices this year are college guys like Rendon, Purke and Cole. I would go with Rendon if he stays healthy until the draft, but I could see the logic in Purke or Cole.
                Beat me to it re: Pirates spending. Totally agree that signability isn't a top concern for them at all.

Hasn't Rendon had a host of injuries lately or was it just the one major one recently? I don't think they should ignore him because of Pedro Alvarez or anything and if he's the best, take him. But I just don't think he's the best right now. I like the two arms a good bit and think they should continue to stockpile pitching. With the three they got last year, they've got some more guys who are a cut or two below, but still viable with Morris, Cain, Owens, Locke, Wilson and Van Rosenberg. Still considering they have had such a poor run of pitching in this massive run of futility, I say they just keep stockpiling.

Comment

Originally posted by pjs24 View Post
                  Best Player Available
                  Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

If he is healthy and plays well this year, there is no way the Pirates will or should pass on Rendon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      If he is healthy and plays well this year, there is no way the Pirates will or should pass on Rendon.
                      I definitely don't think it's that much of a no-brainer, even if he does stay healthy. He's a good prospect, but not markedly ahead of Purke & Cole, IMO.

Comment

I definitely don't think it's that much of a no-brainer, even if he does stay healthy. He's a good prospect, but not markedly ahead of Purke & Cole, IMO.
                        From what I'm reading lately, Purke's stock seems to have taken a hit. He is not a lock to be a top 5 pick at this point. Cole has enough upside that a great year could put him in the top spot, but I really don't think the Pirates would pass on Rendon if he proves he is over his injury. Rendon is a great hitting prospect, not just a good one. The only reason people are getting off Rendon's bandwagon right now is his injury history. The injuries are a real concern and can knock him out of the top spot (and should if he doesn't show he's over it), but he's shown himself to be an amazing hitter when healthy, and his defense is good enough to stick at 3b, where he'd be an upgrade defensively over Pedro Alvarez eventually. I would be shocked if Rendon is healthy this year and plays like he has in the past, or even close to it, and he isn't the first player chosen.

Comment

Rendon with the Pirates

If he can show he's over his ankle injuries, I think the Pirates should take him.

1. Alvarez is not going to be able to stay at third anyway; Rendon is a defensive upgrade.

2. If Rendon had come out last year, there are some who would have taken him over Harper.

Comment

Originally posted by Phineas to Ferb View Post
                            If he can show he's over his ankle injuries, I think the Pirates should take him.

1. Alvarez is not going to be able to stay at third anyway; Rendon is a defensive upgrade.

2. If Rendon had come out last year, there are some who would have taken him over Harper.
                            Ha! Love the nickname. That's a great cartoon.

Re: 2, those teams/people are completely retarded. He's 5'11/170 with ankle problems. Harper >>> Rendon without question.

I'm not sold on Rendon as the walkaway #1 right now.

Comment

Best Player Available. A term often thrown around during NFL drafts.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X