Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: Michael Fiers

So yeah, what to make of this guy?

2012 majors: 9-10, 3.74 ERA, 127.2 IP, 1.26 WHIP, 135 Ks ... 9.52 K/9, 2.54 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, 3.09 FIP, 3.47 xFIP

He allowed a 28.2% line drive rate (yikes!) but a respectable .319 BABIP. How does that happen? I don't know, but it won't happen again. Either the LD% goes down or the BABIP goes up. His GB% was only 32.7% and his FB% was 39.2%.

Fiers also threw 55 IP at AAA (8.0 K/9, 2.95 BB/9, 0.98 HR/9). How often does a guy improve all three rate stats when moving from the minors to the majors? xFIP says it wasn't a fluke, but the AAA numbers say it might be.

He threw about 130 IP in 2011 and about 180 last year, so there's a small concern about workload, but he's 27 years old so I'm not really worried.

MLB Depth Charts has Fiers as the #3 starter behind YoGa and Marco Estrada (jeez, what happened to the Brewers?) so he could probably get 190 IP unless he gets hurt or gets knocked out of the rotation.

Oh, I forgot to mention the elephant in the room. He's right-handed and his average FB velocity was 88.1 last year. He threw 54% fastballs, 14% cutters (85mph), 21% curveballs (72mph) and 10% changeups (82mph). I don't love the FB/CH/CT velocity splits - they're not big enough.

Fiers is a guy that scares me a little. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I see 160ip, 130 Ks, 1.40 WHIP, 4.40 ERA.

He looks like a relatively safe bet for a rookie pitcher. He has pretty good control but is not especially dominant. The GB rate was a little better in the minors. But as a single digit buy or a reserve pick I would take a shot with him.

Comment

I love this guy - just think he got tired late. Delivery is really tough to pick up, pitches a lot like Hellickson

Comment

simple issue for him to resolve

When he's behind in the count to LH hitters, he leans heavily on his fastball. Cut back on that as line drives frequently come from fastballs. Pitch backwards a little more

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          he's far out performing his minor league numbers.
          Actually, it looks to me like he only slipped up at Triple A in 2012. He did just fine at the same level in 2011. I like his minor league numbers, I just question what his strikeout rate will ultimately look like in the majors.

Comment

I think Shaun Marcum is a solid player comparison for Mike Fiers. Neither guy has an overpowering fastball (Fiers - 88.1 mph, Marcum - 87.2), but they still get strikeouts. They are also both flyball pitchers that don't issue a lot of free passes. I would suggest bidding on Fiers they same way you bid on a healthy Shaun Marcum.

Here are their career minor league numbers.
            IP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9
            Fiers 346.2 6.8 0.8 2.4 9.6
            Marcum 430.1 8.2 0.9 1.5 8.9
            Here are their major league numbers, so far.
            IP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9
            Fiers 129.2 8.8 0.8 2.7 9.5
            Marcum 916.2 8.2 1.2 2.8 7.3

Comment

Originally posted by jackmadden View Post
              I think Shaun Marcum is a solid player comparison for Mike Fiers. Neither guy has an overpowering fastball (Fiers - 88.1 mph, Marcum - 87.2), but they still get strikeouts. They are also both flyball pitchers that don't issue a lot of free passes. I would suggest bidding on Fiers they same way you bid on a healthy Shaun Marcum.

Here are their career minor league numbers.
              IP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9
              Fiers 346.2 6.8 0.8 2.4 9.6
              Marcum 430.1 8.2 0.9 1.5 8.9
              Here are their major league numbers, so far.
              IP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9
              Fiers 129.2 8.8 0.8 2.7 9.5
              Marcum 916.2 8.2 1.2 2.8 7.3
              I like how you put it. It also illustrates how Fiers k-rate will probably drop.

Comment

demoted to Triple-A today

Comment

His fastball command has not looked good so far

Comment

Working...
                  X