• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K13: Jacoby Ellsbury.

Here are the slash lines for the last two years, and the BJ projection:

2011: .321/.376/.552 732 PA
    2012: .271/.313/.370 332 PA
    2013: .294/.346/.436 668 PA

Which is most likely to resemble this season?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

I'll take the BJ projection, since it's the middle case.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

He's a free agent after 2013, so he has a lot to play for, but he'll also have it hanging over his head all year if the Sawx don't extend him or trade him.

You might see a few less SB attempts if he's attempting to stay healthy. I think his upside is .305-18-70-105r-30sb and I don't like his odds of getting there.

His walk rate didn't totally collapse last year, and his K% and BABIP weren't bad either. It's just that the power evaporated. How much of it comes back is just as important to his value as his health.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        He's a free agent after 2013, so he has a lot to play for, but he'll also have it hanging over his head all year if the Sawx don't extend him or trade him.

You might see a few less SB attempts if he's attempting to stay healthy. I think his upside is .305-18-70-105r-30sb and I don't like his odds of getting there.

His walk rate didn't totally collapse last year, and his K% and BABIP weren't bad either. It's just that the power evaporated. How much of it comes back is just as important to his value as his health.
        However unlikely it is he reaches it, would not his upside projection be closer to .300-25-80-100-40?

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
          However unlikely it is he reaches it, would not his upside projection be closer to .300-25-80-100-40?
          I just don't think 25 HRs is ever walking through the door again. I don't think 40 steals is, either. He can still come close to 20/30 and definitely has the ability to hit .300+ but I just don't think that 30 HR / 70 SB in his past is repeatable.

Comment

Hardest player to project? I am just at a total loss on how to evaluate him. I'll probably just stay away in '13.
            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

My projection (assuming he plays a full season) --

.290, 18 hr, 65 rbi, 95 runs, 30 sb

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                My projection (assuming he plays a full season) --

.290, 18 hr, 65 rbi, 95 runs, 30 sb
                That seems pretty fair and a good point to use imo.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                  Hardest player to project? I am just at a total loss on how to evaluate him. I'll probably just stay away in '13.
                  That is my feeling, too. Luckily, there is a guy in my main league that's a total fanboy, so I hopefully shouldn't have to price-enforce and assume the risks thereof.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I'm a virgin, be gentle.

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    That is my feeling, too. Luckily, there is a guy in my main league that's a total fanboy, so I hopefully shouldn't have to price-enforce and assume the risks thereof.
                    The big IF is health. If the kid stays healthy he should be a lock for 90-100 runs 300 and 40+ sb. In a walk year, where he may get traded to the Angels, I take the chance on his upside. Am a little concerned by the quirky injuries and perceived milking of injuries but the possibility of him setting pujols and hamiltons table or even heading to the NL is enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                      The big IF is health. If the kid stays healthy he should be a lock for 90-100 runs 300 and 40+ sb. In a walk year, where he may get traded to the Angels, I take the chance on his upside. Am a little concerned by the quirky injuries and perceived milking of injuries but the possibility of him setting pujols and hamiltons table or even heading to the NL is enough for me.
                      Hey, welcome! As a Sox fan, I hope you are right. I think Farrell being in Boston and not Bobby V is going to help guys not milk (if anyone was).

Comment

Thanks DJ,
                        I've owned him a long time. Actually, my first Minors pick ever. I'm not saying he milks but it sure seems like a lot of teammates have that impression. I'm not a Sox fan I'm a Tribe fan so I don't watch them just follow my players. Is that the impression Sox fans have too? To me, his injuries are all hustle and freakish but I love the way he plays. I just hope his hustle doesn't turn into a Sizemore. If he stays healthy, no better leadoff guy in baseball. I

Comment

Put him up for bidding early. Homers will over pay, if no one bites snag him with hopes of upside. Early is key - when people have money - you get an idea of their palate for risk.

Comment

ellsbury with 5 SB tonight. 5. that's gotta be pretty rare...
                            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                              ellsbury with 5 SB tonight. 5. that's gotta be pretty rare...
                              First time since 2009. I have Ellsbury and CarGo on the same team...8 SBs last night from those two .

Comment

Working...
                              X