2K13 - Carlos Gomez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K13 - Carlos Gomez

What are your thoughts/expectations for him in 2013?

Fourth OF?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
      Fourth OF?
      On a fantasy team or real-life?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        Fourth OF?
        Fourth OFer? Have you seen his stats from last year? .260, 72 Runs, 19 HRs, 51 RBIs, 37 SBs in just 415 ABs.

His BB/K rate is still poor, but this breakout seemingly came out of nowhere. He was well on his way to being declared a bust for good when he put up these numbers. And if you look at it, you can extrapolate his 2011 stats and come up with similar numbers, so these stats are real.

His BABIP was still under the league average, and I'm sure many fantasy players may summarily dismiss him, but he's likely the everyday CFer and as such has a great chance to repeat these numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Now here is a super interesting case.

We have a guy whose calling card has historically been speed. However, he's decreased his GB/FB every year and actually had more flies than grounders last year. He also built on what was a career best HR/FB from 2011 (11.4%) and set a new high with 14.3%.

Is he coming into his own? He's not a small guy at 6'4" and 210 lbs. Still, the kid had 25 HR in 1,539 ABs in his professional career, counting the minors. Should we believe that popping 19 in only 415 AB is sustainable?

Here's where I see the problem for Carlos Gomez and why I'd bid cautiously on him: Even with his "breakout" season, he came out to barely above average (wRC+ of 105 --- major league average is 100). Still, the kid's defense is quite good and that alone can get him some serious playing time.

I wouldn't expect him to hit for much in the way of average, particularly if his trend toward lofting the ball continues, but I can't see why he'd be anything but a very useful fantasy asset.

One problem, though, is that the Brewers outfield is actually a bit crowded right now --- he's competing with Braun, Hart, and Aoki, and they're all very good, too. He's a better fielder than Aoki but a poorer hitter (so far). He's a MUCH better fielder than Corey Hart but a MUCH poorer hitter. Obviously no one will take playing time from Ryan Braun.
          Isn't Hart playing 1B?

Comment

Gomez doesn't have much competition for playing time this year. The only other guys on the roster who could play CF are Aoki and Logan Schafer. Aoki is pretty much locked into RF and it seems like the only way he'd be able to move to CF is if Gamel started hitting and proves he can play RF (it sounds like Hart is staying at 1B). Schafer is a rookie and Roenicke doesn't typically give rookies ABs.

Comment

I was thinking that the OF was Aoki, Hart, and Braun, all superior players (as I see it, I don't see Gomez's power as real, but, as always, I could be wrong.) But if Gomez, including his glove, is better than Gamel, Hart to first could open up full time playing time. However, if he hits without power (who knows) or getting on base (likely given his history) for a month and a half, Gamel could easily take over the starting job.

Comment

His isolated power surged n 2011 as well. Prior to that he was at Juan Pierre levels. OTOH the BB/K still sucks.

Raise your hand if you realized that Carlos Gomez, he of the 25 career home runs over 1,539 at-bats heading into 2012, hit 19 long balls this season. Like many young players, the belief was that Gomez…

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  That's what I was thinking, too. I guess Gamel is the odd man out for now, though, which is great news for Gomez owners (and obviously bad news for Gamel owners).
                  Yep. From last week:
                  Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Tuesday that Mat Gamel (knee) will get extensive work in the outfield during spring training.
                  Gamel was the starter at first base prior to tearing his ACL in May, but the Brewers now plan to use him in a utility role now that Corey Hart has found a home there. "We're trying to get him more versatile," said Roenicke. "He'll play some outfield (in camp). Probably more in right field but some in left field today because 'Braunie' doesn't play every game. And he wants to do it." Gamel will also likely get work at third base as a backup to Aramis Ramirez. Dec 4 - 3:55 PM

Comment

Bump up even more with Hart's injury.

Comment

The Milwaukee Brewers signed outfielder Carlos Gomez today to a three-year contract extension through the 2016 season. The announcement was made by President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Doug Melvin.

"We are happy that Carlos has decided to remain a Brewer for a number of years," said Melvin. "He has always had the physical skills, and his recent performance has given us the confidence that he will take the next step in becoming one of the top center fielders in the game. His energy, speed and aggressive style of play is a perfect fit for Ron Roenicke's style of managing."

Comment

Working...
                      X