Cubs fail to Sign Anibal Sanchez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs fail to Sign Anibal Sanchez

The Cubs have given their rebuilding process a major boost by agreeing to sign free agent right-hander Anibal Sanchez to a five-year contract, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today. The deal could be worth $75MM, reports FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, who said earlier today that the two sides were close to an agreement. The contract will become official once Sanchez passes a physical.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#RRyLXYuAF7FzUhXt.99

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
    The Cubs have given their rebuilding process a major boost by agreeing to sign free agent right-hander Anibal Sanchez to a five-year contract, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today. The deal could be worth $75MM, reports FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, who said earlier today that the two sides were close to an agreement. The contract will become official once Sanchez passes a physical.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#RRyLXYuAF7FzUhXt.99
    now reporting it's not a done deal

now, supposedly the Tigers are being given the right to match/top.....

If they don't and he goes to the Cubs, IMO that's not a good way to start......how can you say you really wanted to come to Chicago when you clearly want to stay in Detroit.
    Last edited by Grinch; 12-13-2012, 07:19 PM.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
      now reporting it's not a done deal

now, supposedly the Tigers are being given the right to match/top.....

If they don't and he goes to the Cubs, IMO that's not a good way to start......how can you say you really wanted to come to Chicago when you clearly want to stay in Detroit.
      I don't think Cubs fans will care as long as he lives up to the contract and doesn't end up like a pile of poo like so many of their big contract players have over the years.

Comment

Sanchez has given up 20 gopher balls in each of the past two seasons (despite playing half of last year in the cavern in Miami). If the Tigers match or top the offer, the Cubs should thank their lucky stars.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          Sanchez has given up 20 gopher balls in each of the past two seasons (despite playing half of last year in the cavern in Miami). If the Tigers match or top the offer, the Cubs should thank their lucky stars.
          If there's one thing Cubs fans have been sure of for over a hundred years, it's that they HAVE no lucky stars. Right now, I'm not sure they have many stars, period.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            If there's one thing Cubs fans have been sure of for over a hundred years, it's that they HAVE no lucky stars. Right now, I'm not sure they have many stars, period.
            They have Soriano and he's a star.

Comment

And.... just like that, Sanchez signed with the Tigers for 5/80. Sorry Theo.

Comment

Sometimes the best deal is the one that we don't make.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  And.... just like that, Sanchez signed with the Tigers for 5/80. Sorry Theo.
                  I don't think that it's a great loss for the Cubs long-term, but the Cubs certainly have to feel used...

Comment

I think the Cubs got lucky on this one. Sanchez is a fine pitcher, but his weakness does not mesh well with Wrigley.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      I think the Cubs got lucky on this one. Sanchez is a fine pitcher, but his weakness does not mesh well with Wrigley.
                      This I agree with. I do think that he's on an upswing, and I think he could post a very nice K/9 with a lot of solo HRs in Wrigley. But he fits nicely in Comerica, behind Verlander/Scherzer/Fister.

This could portend a Hanrahan for Porcello deal for the Tigers.

Comment

I wonder what the Cubs will do - they seemingly have plenty of money to spend now, but the only place I see them spending it is in the starting rotation.

C - Wellington Castillo
                        1B - Rizzo
                        2B - Darwin Barney, who probably should be on the bench, but I don't think there are any stud 2Bs available in free agency
                        SS - Starlin Castro
                        3B - Ian Stewart, who they just signed
                        OF - Schierholz who they just signed, DeJesus, Soriano

But does it make sense for a team that isn't contending in 2013 to sign a SP this offseason to a longterm contract? Kyle Lohse perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                          I wonder what the Cubs will do - they seemingly have plenty of money to spend now, but the only place I see them spending it is in the starting rotation.

C - Wellington Castillo
                          1B - Rizzo
                          2B - Darwin Barney, who probably should be on the bench, but I don't think there are any stud 2Bs available in free agency
                          SS - Starlin Castro
                          3B - Ian Stewart, who they just signed
                          OF - Schierholz who they just signed, DeJesus, Soriano

But does it make sense for a team that isn't contending in 2013 to sign a SP this offseason to a longterm contract? Kyle Lohse perhaps?
                          No it doesn't, but that's never stopped them before.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post

I think Sanchez made some sense because he could still be expected to be good in 3-4 years. I don't know if you could say the same thing about Lohse.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              I think Sanchez made some sense because he could still be expected to be good in 3-4 years. I don't know if you could say the same thing about Lohse.
                              Lohse has never posted a SIERA under 4.00. I don't think he can be expected to be good next year. If the Cubs sign Lohse long-term, they got hosed in the Theo Epstein trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X