James Shields and Wade Davis to Kansas City for Wil Myers and prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Shields and Wade Davis to Kansas City for Wil Myers and prospects

I guess that's what they are saying on the Twitter.

I like the go for it attitude by KC but I don't like this trade, even without knowing what else they are giving up.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

The Royals got destroyed in this deal.

#Royals acquire RHPs James Shields, Wade Davis and player to be named or cash from Tampa Bay for Myers, Odorizzi, Montgomery and Leonard.

Comment

RotoWorld says:

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays have traded James Shields and Wade Davis to the Royals.
      FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal adds that the Rays will receive Wil Myers and a package of prospects in return. The deal still isn't finalized, but it looks like the Royals will finally get the front-line starter they've been looking for this offseason, and Myers is widely regarded as one of the top prospects in baseball. A source tells ESPN's Jerry Crasnick that the trade has the potential to be even bigger, and Shields, Davis, and Myers aren't only major names involved.

If the names that BigJon listed are correct maybe KC is getting more players.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Chances that Myers wins an OF job out of ST?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post
          Chances that Myers wins an OF job out of ST?
          Very good.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Great trade for the Rays. I understand KCs desire to land a reliable top shelf arm, and Shields is that, but giving up Myers and even more to get him is rough. I don't see why they felt they had to give up Odorizzi in this deal, as I imagine the Rays rightly coveted Myers. Obviously Myers is the gem in the deal, but Odorizzi is close and could help them soon. I like him as a legit #3 arm. And to toss in Montgomery, who has faltered, but was a top prospect just a couple of years ago, IDK. A team like the Rays, with their minor league pitching development, mmight make something of him. Unless the PTBNL is pretty good, this is a big win for the Rays.

Comment

Holy ****balls....I was in bed when my phone started going nuts

PTBNL can't be someone currently on the 40 man roster

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                Very good.
                Nope - not unless he signs a Longo/Moore type deal. This team has never burned service time for anyone without it.

Comment

Myers is the best OF hitting prospect since Felix Pie. STEAL for the Rays - how could any team ever not win a deal in which the hottest prospect comes their way, while shipping out an established star?

That said, it's a helluva risk the Royals are taking....
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    Nope - not unless he signs a Longo/Moore type deal. This team has never burned service time for anyone without it.
                    This.

Comment

From TBO.com:

The Rays will save nearly $14 million in salary next season between the two pitchers. Included is the $10.25 million Shields will earn in 2013.
                      Great trade for the Rays. Figuring Myers starts right away in LF, and this gives them even more money to get another bat - preferably a LH-hitting DH. Hate to see Shields go, but they have to hope Archer is ready. Still the makings of a very nice rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        Myers is the best OF hitting prospect since Felix Pie. STEAL for the Rays - how could any team ever not win a deal in which the hottest prospect comes their way, while shipping out an established star?

That said, it's a helluva risk the Royals are taking....
                        I tend to agree with JJ's assessment of the deal...money and prospects have never won a game for a major league club in history, established players have. While it looks great for TB right now, lets see what happens in 5 years...remember Myers crapped the bed 2 seasons ago when promoted to AA ball, and Odorizzi is projected as a middle of the rotation starter.

Frankly, I like KC going for it in an eminently winnable division.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Well, Myers could refuse to sign one of TB's renowned team-friendly contracts, particularly if he's represented by someone like Boras.

Comment

Everyone seems to have Wade Davis pencilled in the #4 spot in KC's rotation. Am I the only one who thinks they may try to get another SP (Jackson/Jurrjens/Villanueva type) and make him a closer? If you remember a couple of years ago there was a lot of discussion that the Rays should have done that. His success out of the pen, IMO, has only solidified that argument.
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              I tend to agree with JJ's assessment of the deal...money and prospects have never won a game for a major league club in history, established players have. While it looks great for TB right now, lets see what happens in 5 years...remember Myers crapped the bed 2 seasons ago when promoted to AA ball, and Odorizzi is projected as a middle of the rotation starter.

Frankly, I like KC going for it in an eminently winnable division.
                              Completely agree. KC has been rebuilding since 1985. Remember, this is a franchise that has had ONE winning season since 1994. They have the prospects to deal. Their lineup is solid. Adding Shields and Davis to the rotation is a huge boon for them. This deal may actually make them into a contender in the AL Central.

Comment

Working...
                              X