Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorino to Red Sawx...

3Yr 37 million
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

RotoWorld says it's 3 years, $38.75M

Shane Victorino - OF - Dodgers

According to WEEI's Alex Speier, the Red Sox have agreed to a three-year deal with Shane Victorino.
    It's worth $38.75 million. Victorino had a number of other three-year offers and even one four-year proposal, but Boston gave him the best annual average salary and the chance to contend immediately. The 32-year-old is expected to start in right field. He batted .255/.321/.383 with 11 homers, 55 RBI and 39 stolen bases in 154 games this past season between the Phillies and Dodgers.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

So Jerry Sands is out of a job already, eh?

Comment

crazy money for his skills

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          and the chance to contend immediately.
          Huh? The Red Sox are a team going nowhere fast. Over/under on the number of at bats Victorino sees over the 3 years: 700
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Given the fact that he's had 1701 AB's over the past 3 years, I'll take the over on that.

Good signing by the Sox...gives them OF flexibility and a solid veteran with the potential for a healthy rebound in stats. Not huge money, not too many years...

Now if you want to talk about silly signings, overpaying, and too many years, look at what the Giants did...that's not pretty.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Given the fact that he's had 1701 AB's over the past 3 years, I'll take the over on that.

Good signing by the Sox...gives them OF flexibility and a solid veteran with the potential for a healthy rebound in stats. Not huge money, not too many years...
              It is also decent Ellsbury insurance - they'll still have a center fielder and leadoff hitter if Ells decides to take another season off.

Comment

I actually would still like to see them re-sign Cody Ross. Plus, they still seem at least mildly interested in Hamilton and Swisher.

Comment

Sounds like an Ellsbury trade may be in the works. I didn't really want Victorino but whatever.
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

So if you're a Red Sox fan, and you just cleared out a quarter billion dollars in "bad" contracts, are you excited that your team spent almost $80mil to lock up Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      So if you're a Red Sox fan, and you just cleared out a quarter billion dollars in "bad" contracts, are you excited that your team spent almost $80mil to lock up Mike Napoli and Shane Victorino?
                      Not really. I'm not hating it but it just depends on how everything is deployed. I don't want Napoli as a FT 1B and I don't buy this "we think Jonny Gomes can be our FT left-fielder."

I'd rather have had Swisher and Cody Ross in some fashion rather than Victorino.
                      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                        Huh? The Red Sox are a team going nowhere fast. Over/under on the number of at bats Victorino sees over the 3 years: 700
                        How did you come up with your (baseless) over/under number? He's averaged 578 at bats over the past five years, with more than 500 in each of them. Nothing points to numbers of the type you noted.

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
                          How did you come up with your (baseless) over/under number? He's averaged 578 at bats over the past five years, with more than 500 in each of them. Nothing points to numbers of the type you noted.
                          His declining skillset against RH pitchers is likely what led him to that conclusion. I'm not sure I agree with 700, but Victorino is on the wrong side of his skillset arc, that's for sure.

Comment

What they are going to pay Victorino is probably too much, but still a heck of a lot less than they would have paid Crawford.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Working...
                            X