Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angel Pagan to re-sign with Giants (pending physical)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Pagan to re-sign with Giants (pending physical)

per MLB Network at 4yrs 40mil

wow. Mets gave him away for nuttin. Probably the worst deal of the Alderson era.

Comment

Phils had made an offer as well. I keep thinking Victorino ends up back in CF for the phils next year.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        wow. Mets gave him away for nuttin. Probably the worst deal of the Alderson era.
        I relish any opportunity to bash the Mets and yes they gave him away for nothing, but how is this a smart deal. 288/.338/.440 with eight homers, 56 RBI, 29 stolen bases and a .778 OPS is worth 40 million dollars? This is Gary Matthews Jr. bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
          I relish any opportunity to bash the Mets and yes they gave him away for nothing, but how is this a smart deal. 288/.338/.440 with eight homers, 56 RBI, 29 stolen bases and a .778 OPS is worth 40 million dollars? This is Gary Matthews Jr. bad.
          For a good defensive center fielder it isn't bad at all. You might wish the term was shorter but the annual payout really isn't horrendous.

Comment

He was additionally attractive over a guy like Bourne in that he wasn't offered a qualifying contract and a team wouldn't have had to give up a draft pick if they signed him. Not sure if that effects resigning with your own team, but made him slightly more attractive to a team like the Phils.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

blessed be, otherwise the shirt I bought two weeks ago was going to be kind of stupid...

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                blessed be, otherwise the shirt I bought two weeks ago was going to be kind of stupid...

Otherwise??

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                  For a good defensive center fielder it isn't bad at all. You might wish the term was shorter but the annual payout really isn't horrendous.
                  Unfortunately, I don't think he's a good defensive CF now, and I sure don't think he'll be one in 3-4 years. A lot of his value is tied up in his wheels. I agree that if the Giants get a couple good years out of him at 10mil/yr, then the back end doesn't hurt quite as bad if he's a 4th OF, but I can't see him as a starter in the last year of this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    Unfortunately, I don't think he's a good defensive CF now, and I sure don't think he'll be one in 3-4 years. A lot of his value is tied up in his wheels. I agree that if the Giants get a couple good years out of him at 10mil/yr, then the back end doesn't hurt quite as bad if he's a 4th OF, but I can't see him as a starter in the last year of this deal.
                    OK, I guess he isn't "good" but it looks to me like he's an average center fielder. His batting line in 2012 isn't too far above his career numbers, he just got a lot more at-bats. He isn't young but he'll only be 34-35 when the deal is done.

Comment

Working...
                    X