A-Rod Out Until AS Break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-Rod Out Until AS Break?

I know DQ posted this in the NY Yankee thread, but this kinda deserves it's own thread, as it involves everyone's favorite whipping boy:

Alex Rodriguez will need between three and six months to recover from his January hip surgery.
    That timetable comes from Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who notes that the upcoming procedure is for a torn labrum in A-Rod's left hip. He had surgery on his right hip back in 2009. The Yankees will be on the hunt for a third baseman over the next couple weeks. We wouldn't expect Rodriguez to return before June.
    Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter Dec 3 - 10:45 AM

Could he even miss the entire season? Sounds possible.

I guess he didn't wanna ruin his Christmas.

Comment

watch the Yankees unload the farm for Headley and/or Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        watch the Yankees unload the farm for Headley and/or Stanton
        The rumor I just read was they're going heavy after Stephen Drew and may also get a utility SS type.

Comment

If I were them I'd give Nunez an everyday 3B assignment for three months and see what he does with it. Jayson Nix is still around to handle utility IF duties.

Comment

Why does it seem that there is little interest in bringing Chavez back? He was very good in his part time role and really wouldn't cost that much. I know he might be able to handle a full time role for half a season but since he won't cost that much ($2M for one year?). They could also grab Stephen Drew (though he doesn't really excite me).
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              If I were them I'd give Nunez an everyday 3B assignment for three months and see what he does with it. Jayson Nix is still around to handle utility IF duties.
              I was thinking he might need to be the SS for the start of the year.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                I was thinking he might need to be the SS for the start of the year.
                I'd go with Nix. I just think for Nunez the best strategy would be to give him a predictable and consistent everyday assignment, particularly from a defensive perspective, and see what he can do with it.

Comment

Couldn't he have had surgery in October?
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Couldn't he have had surgery in October?
                    He wants to strengthen the area before surgery. Seems strange, but I guess that's what Mo did with his knee so it's not unheard of.

I don't think Chavez is particularly good at 3B any more. I'd be fine bringing him back in the 1B/3B/DH role, but not as the projected starter for 3 months. B-Fly might be right that a Nunez/Nix infield makes sense. Of course, it doesn't provide much offense, so replacing Swisher with someone who can actually hit like he did would be a nice idea.

Comment

What about Keppinger? Seems like a good target for the Yanks now. Not super-exciting but there aren't many 3B options out there. Kepp could play all over the IF too.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                        What about Keppinger? Seems like a good target for the Yanks now. Not super-exciting but there aren't many 3B options out there. Kepp could play all over the IF too.
                        The Yankees (and other teams) may want to see how Keppinger progresses from his recent broken fibula before making an offer.

Headley is probably out. The Padres have him on a reasonable long-term deal and have little if any reason to trade him, even if Yankee fans want him.

The Yankees could get a little younger at 3B by signing Kevin Youkilis or trading for Michael Young (who has a NTC with the Rangers). If they want to stay as old, Scott Rolen could be persuaded to forego retirement.

I guess the Yankees have nothing at AAA to help. That of course is impossible, since it is Known Fact that any Yankee farmhand is the best prospect in all of baseball at his position.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                          The Yankees (and other teams) may want to see how Keppinger progresses from his recent broken fibula before making an offer.

Headley is probably out. The Padres have him on a reasonable long-term deal and have little if any reason to trade him, even if Yankee fans want him.

The Yankees could get a little younger at 3B by signing Kevin Youkilis or trading for Michael Young (who has a NTC with the Rangers). If they want to stay as old, Scott Rolen could be persuaded to forego retirement.

I guess the Yankees have nothing at AAA to help. That of course is impossible, since it is Known Fact that any Yankee farmhand is the best prospect in all of baseball at his position.
                          I'm sure the Yankees would love to give Youkilis a bunch of cash if he were willing to sign a one-year deal.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            He wants to strengthen the area before surgery. Seems strange, but I guess that's what Mo did with his knee so it's not unheard of.

I don't think Chavez is particularly good at 3B any more. I'd be fine bringing him back in the 1B/3B/DH role, but not as the projected starter for 3 months. B-Fly might be right that a Nunez/Nix infield makes sense. Of course, it doesn't provide much offense, so replacing Swisher with someone who can actually hit like he did would be a nice idea.
                            I think Nunez can provide just as much offensively as any of the other options being discussed, if not more. Nix doesn't have much of a bat, but he's good at the little things offensively - bunting and otherwise advancing base runners. Not such a bad option for UT infield. I'm not sure why there's any assumption that they need a starter-quality SS behind Jeter. He could well be ready for Opening Day, or very soon thereafter.

Is this lineup so bad?

SS Jeter
                            RF Suzuki
                            2B Cano
                            1B Teixeira
                            CF Granderson
                            DH Ibanez
                            3B Nunez
                            C Stewart/Romine
                            LF Gardner

While I don't expect the Yankees to stay pat with that group, it's really not terrible at all. It would almost be refreshing to see the Yankee offense diversify away from such a HR focus and do more running, bunting, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              I think Nunez can provide just as much offensively as any of the other options being discussed, if not more. Nix doesn't have much of a bat, but he's good at the little things offensively - bunting and otherwise advancing base runners. Not such a bad option for UT infield. I'm not sure why there's any assumption that they need a starter-quality SS behind Jeter. He could well be ready for Opening Day, or very soon thereafter.

Is this lineup so bad?

SS Jeter
                              RF Suzuki
                              2B Cano
                              1B Teixeira
                              CF Granderson
                              DH Ibanez
                              3B Nunez
                              C Stewart/Romine
                              LF Gardner

While I don't expect the Yankees to stay pat with that group, it's really not terrible at all. It would almost be refreshing to see the Yankee offense diversify away from such a HR focus and do more running, bunting, etc.
                              Ibanez isn't really coming back, is he? I know he can pop the occasional HR in the stadium but he was atrocious for most of the second half. And a Stewart/Romine platoon is just a fiasco waiting to happen. So yes, given that it is still a very below average defensive lineup, I do think that is a pretty bad lineup for the Yankees. That's not an 85 win team.

Comment

Working...
                              X