No announcement yet.

yahoo league strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have done a few of those FA leagues and how much easier is it to find SP in those leagues vs getting power. You can wait on SP and still be ok.

Comment

4th pick in 12 team

I just cant bring myself to go tulo
      that leaves Braun, CarGo, Votto, Longoria, Crawford

I can grab Braun
      then top 1b at 20 - then top 3b at 28

Tulo just doesnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling
      neither does CarGo
      Votto looks great but I still think I can get close to him later
      Crawford is a mystery

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        4th pick in 12 team

I just cant bring myself to go tulo
        that leaves Braun, CarGo, Votto, Longoria, Crawford

I can grab Braun
        then top 1b at 20 - then top 3b at 28

Tulo just doesnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling
        neither does CarGo
        Votto looks great but I still think I can get close to him later
        Crawford is a mystery
        Who are you assuming is 3-Miggy?

Comment

You need to grab Tulo. SS is a wasteland this year.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

if it's just a draft and not auction, most ppl will use the yahoo default rankings. im not saying they'll go in perfect chronological order but it will follow a default rankings pattern. simply count how many turns to the next guy you have targeted. so if you have to wait 20 turns until your next pick and there is only 15 players in front of the guy you want then take then take the player early. also, once you take a player earlier in the order than you should, your that much ahead of everyone else as you keep going down the list, beating everyone else to the punch of the player you've targeted.

if it's a 5x5 H2H, daily lineup, keep in mind that in the playoffs, ERA is the tie breaker. so your going to need a few reliable starting pitchers. if it's close ERA can end up counting as two categories. also, good closers become valuable. everyone will want them. so having an extra one to trade when you want to get a trade done comes in handy. you can't be having some bad closers blowing up your ERA.

that said i still go for hitting. but if you want to finish first in the league during the season and make the playoffs get hitting. if you want to win in the playoffs get pitching (because in the final weeks, hitters are either resting, injured or figured out, while pitching gets really strong. the true stud pitchers are studs the final month)

Comment

what if you want to finish first in the regular season AND win your playoffs?
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                what if you want to finish first in the regular season AND win your playoffs?
                everything evens out in H2H. you get complacent because your first and your players have been overperforming, while the 5th and 6th place owners players have been underperforming all season. suddenly at the end they become more competitive than expected.

but to answer your question. you get hitters, then during the playoffs make sure you win ERA and presumably WHIP with it.. even if that means punting Wins. remember the more starting pitchers you throw out there the greater your chances of raising your ERA. then you only have to win the next 3 categories to his 5. final score 5-5 and you win.

more importantly, if your ahead in a category, don't be afraid to bench players. for example, predict what the players on the other team will do. if on sunday (the last day) you have no chance of winning HR's and RBI's and SB's, but your ahead in AVG and he can't catchup up to you in Runs, bench your hitters and make sure you don't lose AVG. better yet, if your ahead in ERA, WHIP and SVs, but can't win WINs, bench your pitchers.

even better yet, on monday at the start of the week, count how many SP starts you and your opponent have. if you know you can't take WINs, play it safe and punt it for the week and be very careful with your ERA. of course if he blows up on monday, go after him. also as we know, most 2 start pitchers usually have a good game and bad one. the bad one is usually at the beginning of the week and good one on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                  as we know, most 2 start pitchers usually have a good game and bad one. the bad one is usually at the beginning of the week and good one on the weekend.
                  I'd like to see some statistical evidence of this. I suspect there isn't any.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    I'd like to see some statistical evidence of this. I suspect there isn't any.
                    i would too. but i don't have the resource experience or know-how to look something like that up. last year i think pitchers did better overall? so i think you did have more pitchers have better 2 start weeks then in previous years. there were times i wanted to look up what days of the week a certain SP pitches better, specifically when it's a 2 start.

psychologically i think SP's are more amped up on the weekends. there's also doubleheaders or TV schedules with 2 games. umpires might feel rushed. also have games in the day, with the sun moving, producing shadows sometimes affecting the hitters. or you simply have a pitcher that got shelled and blew up you ERA on monday (which happens more often) who is that more determined to make up for it on sat or sunday. or perhaps pitchers do less studying on the weekend for their upcoming game on monday in contrast to hitting the books during the week. which is more natural.

make a theory, write a column. you never know, i could be right. i'll even say, you have a better chance with a pitcher on the weekend that had a bad start on monday, then a pitcher who only has one start on the weekend.

in H2H daily lineups, be careful starting your SP's on monday. in fact, unless your really sure about the matchup, don't do it! unless of course you don't think you can win ERA because your opponent has better matchups and your going for WINS and K's right from the start and hoping for a ratio surprise...monday sucks. for everyone. even professional athletes and especially in H2H. let the other guy blow up first. whenever i see my opponent starting any SP's he has on monday, i expect to win ERA and WHIP for that week.

Comment

2 start pitchers pitch worse against KC on monday than they do against NY on sat or sun.

Comment

you guys do the statistical stuff, thats what you do. i do the psychological stuff, thats what i can do.
                        He had to know everything, this guy. He'd find out the kind of inside stuff nobody else knew. he'd know if the quarterback was on coke. if his girlfriend was knocked up. He'd get the wind velocity so he could judge the field goals. He even figured out the different bounce you got off the different kinds of wood they used on college basketball courts, you know? He'd be workin' on this **** day and night. There was nothing about a game he was gonna bet that he didn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                          in H2H daily lineups, be careful starting your SP's on monday. in fact, unless your really sure about the matchup, don't do it! unless of course you don't think you can win ERA because your opponent has better matchups and your going for WINS and K's right from the start and hoping for a ratio surprise...monday sucks. for everyone. even professional athletes and especially in H2H. let the other guy blow up first. whenever i see my opponent starting any SP's he has on monday, i expect to win ERA and WHIP for that week.
                          Here's one thing that could possibly be a factor.

Mondays are no different from any other day for starting pitchers. They pitch once every five games, regardless of where they fall on the calendar.

Mondays are different for hitters, though. Almost all of them played Sunday during the day -- and the catcher probably had the day off. They've had an extra half-day of rest than they usually get. Perhaps they're fresher, have more energy, are seeing the ball better, or something.

But if this theory were true, hitters would be even better on Tuesdays if they had Monday off. And they'd be better on Fridays if they had Thursday off.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

well then i think you'd find that catchers hit better on monday. yet, individually they are fresh or heathly at the plate, but defensively they are still dealing with a pitcher who isn't as prepared or advantaged as he might be on the weekend. but ya, i do think hitters respond better after a day off. but i've never thought about tuesday hitters before.

you know, i used to watch ppl manipulate their rosters so they had more hitters going on those mondays, when a lot of teams have the day off. it doesn't help them. because although those hitters have a good monday, they are more tired the rest of the week. so it evens out.

not to change the subject but good hitters play better on the weekends. this is a reflection of the pitching being better on the weekends. on average, the SP's fare better but the good players and weekend warriors like edgar renteria get their hits.

if you have a good player hitting badly during the week, he usually rises up to the challenge on the weekend. so keep him in the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              But if this theory were true, hitters would be even better on Tuesdays if they had Monday off.
                              maybe they are. there are planty of pitchers that pitch both tues and sunday, the latter being the better start. ..i can only take this one day at a time tho. and my achilles heel for pitching is monday. but NOT just because i im worried about getting off to a bad start... because by tuesday im already too involved in what my opponent did monday.

i like your observation on catchers and tuesdays. i've learned more as a result. i should be warry of tuesdays too.

...why isn't there split stats on days of the week for (2 start) pitchers? it would make my life easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X