2K13: Justin Ruggiano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K13: Justin Ruggiano

With the Marlins unlikely to convince many free agents of quality to join them anytime soon the Marlins seem more likely to look within and through the scrap piles for players. In the article linked below Ken Rosenthal is corrected by Justin Ruggiano regarding the Marlins need for a center fielder. He apparently believes the job is his or at least that he is the front runner.

His Stats:

Justin Ruggiano career batting statistics for Major League, Minor League, and postseason baseball

He has decent if not great defensive scores in center field. He put up pretty good stats in the minors but never really got a chance in the majors. His short stints with the Rays were not good and never more than the 111 PA he received in 2011. The Astros ignored his minor league stats for the brief time they held him as well. The Marlins gave him a shot this season and he took full advantage hitting .313/.374/.535 with 13 homers and 14 stolen bases in 320 plate appearances.

Do you believe he could be successful as the full time center fielder? Would you draft him onto your fantasy roster?

I heard the Marlins are desperate to get a CF (they are pushing for bourjos), so I dont think his future is there, plus they signed Pierre. I think he has the potential to be the full time left fielder next season, but that said, this guy has sophomore slump written all over him imo....he wont have any protection unless he bats third in the lineup...he has more power but I think this could be a Chris Coghlan-like fluke all over again.

Comment

Ruggiano is a flash in the pan. There's a reason both the Rays and the Astros let him go. As long as you don't throw him fastballs, you can get him out. Coghlan is an apt comparison and the league picked up on it. 1.214 OPS 1st 96 PA, .786 the rest of the season with few walks and a ton of K's.

Comment

I just traded for a $7 Justin Ruggiano in a 12-team NL-only 5x5 league. The cost was relatively minimal (a $1 Luke Gregerson, who I probably couldn't keep because of a surplus of keepable pitchers, and a couple of mid-level reserve draft picks). I realize that he probably played a little over his head last year, but he is a likely starter for the Marlins with the potential for a 20/20 season, and at $7 he's relatively low risk in terms of cost. Last year, Ruggiano hit .313 (with a .374 OBP), .535 SLG and .909 OPS overall, but he only hit .273 (with a .331 OBP), .427 SLG and .758 OPS in his final 42 games. I expect more of that later in 2013, but the power/speed potential is still there.

Bill James predicts .278 BA, 19 HR, 76 RBI, 24 SB, 73 RUNS, which is very optimistic, but a 15/15 season would not be unexpected.

Comment

I'd rather have Gregerson's upside than Ruggiano. Bill James projections are wildly optimistic. I'll go as far as saying Ruggiano will be a bench player by the all-start break if not DFA'd during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            I'd rather have Gregerson's upside than Ruggiano. Bill James projections are wildly optimistic. I'll go as far as saying Ruggiano will be a bench player by the all-start break if not DFA'd during the season.
            I like Gregerson, but I already have 5 solid starters to keep (plus maybe a $5 Lohse if he signs with an NL team) and two closers, so I couldn't justify keeping a $1 setup man. It's not like the Marlins have a ton of other options waiting to take his job (and they certainly won't spend money to add someone). He could be Bryan LaHair revisited, but there is no Anthony Rizzo behind him waiting to take his job. At the very least, his speed and decent power combined with regular playing time will make him worth $7+ (and one thing that often gets overlooked in "only" leagues is position scarcity in the outfield...we have to draft at least 60 outfielders and there are only 45 "starting" outfielders).

Did you know, that Ruggiano had an OPS of .909, which theoretically, if he had more at-bats, would have placed him 11th in the majors. That’s a higher OPS than David Wright and Albert Pujols. Will he repeat that, no way, but I wouldn't expect a complete drop-off into oblivion either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
              I like Gregerson, but I already have 5 solid starters to keep (plus maybe a $5 Lohse if he signs with an NL team) and two closers, so I couldn't justify keeping a $1 setup man. It's not like the Marlins have a ton of other options waiting to take his job (and they certainly won't spend money to add someone). He could be Bryan LaHair revisited, but there is no Anthony Rizzo behind him waiting to take his job. At the very least, his speed and decent power combined with regular playing time will make him worth $7+ (and one thing that often gets overlooked in "only" leagues is position scarcity in the outfield...we have to draft at least 60 outfielders and there are only 45 "starting" outfielders).

Did you know, that Ruggiano had an OPS of .909, which theoretically, if he had more at-bats, would have placed him 11th in the majors. That’s a higher OPS than David Wright and Albert Pujols. Will he repeat that, no way, but I wouldn't expect a complete drop-off into oblivion either.
              I think you did just fine in the trade given the rest of the information that you provided. We all have wasted 7 bucks in the past. He may not be a stud, but is worth the risk. You didn't give up much for him.

Comment

So, in a 12-team NL 5x5 (OBP, not AVG) would you keep him for $1?

I was planning on tossing him back, but I think with the thinner pool, he'd be worth more at draft considering how little will be left over. I'd probably also keep Cuddyer ($21), Eaton ($10), Valdespin ($1) in my outfield. My overall keeper list is very strong. I also have Oscar Tavarez in my minors. So, even though I fully agree that his skills scream stay-away! but for $1, this is a no-brainer, right?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                  So, in a 12-team NL 5x5 (OBP, not AVG) would you keep him for $1?

I was planning on tossing him back, but I think with the thinner pool, he'd be worth more at draft considering how little will be left over. I'd probably also keep Cuddyer ($21), Eaton ($10), Valdespin ($1) in my outfield. My overall keeper list is very strong. I also have Oscar Tavarez in my minors. So, even though I fully agree that his skills scream stay-away! but for $1, this is a no-brainer, right?
                  In a 12 team NL only I think this is a no brainer. We all need a couple of spots on the cheap. This is about as good as it gets for a buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    In a 12 team NL only I think this is a no brainer. We all need a couple of spots on the cheap. This is about as good as it gets for a buck.
                    At 1 he certainly is a keeper.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Comment

Ruggiano went for $19 in LABR NL-only. Aiyaa. I have him at $10 in a 10-team NL-only, but if I keep him and he sucks Jason will laugh at me. This is a conundrum.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                        X