Longoria extended through 2022!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longoria extended through 2022!

The franchise player is under team control until 2022 with an option for 2023. Wow

Never, ever, saw this coming

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    I love the guy but with his injury problems I probably would have waited a bit.

Comment

Fangraphs has him producing $128M over the past 5 seasons; he now has 10 years to produce $136M to make this contract break even

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        Fangraphs has him producing $128M over the past 5 seasons; he now has 10 years to produce $136M to make this contract break even
        Sure, but what is the rush? You've got four seasons to go on the current deal.

Comment

The article clearly states that this is a bargain... so it must be true.

Comment

The whole idea that he's a bargain is based largely his defense. Excluding 2012, he produced at least 1 win with his glove every year since 2008. He certainly passes the eye test, but I'm still a little hesitant about putting specific WAR values on wins.

But his batting runs by season are:

2008 - 19.3
            2009 - 30.6
            2010 - 32.4
            2011 - 26.2
            2012 - 17.6

Now, at 16mil/yr for 2016-2022, he only needs to earn 3 wins a year to be worth it, from his age 31 to 37 seasons. Can he do that? Sure, but you're talking about 25 runs on offense and 5 runs on defense, or 22/8, or 27/3, or something like that. I don't think he'll be Brooks Robinson in his mid 30s, so that puts a lot of pressure on the bat.

Comment

Is this a makeup call for the first contract?

Comment

could this have been fastracked to send a signal to potential free agents? come to Tampa - we're not Miami.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  could this have been fastracked to send a signal to potential free agents? come to Tampa - we're not Miami.
                  They started these talks before last season. The team have their own TV deal coming up in 3 seasons so they can start projecting new revenues against it. They also have the new $25M a year from the MLBAM deal coming in

Comment

Working...
                  X